What it would feel like to run 100 balls?

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I sort of found out today.

It's a dream for me to run 100 in 14.1. But currently I need 10 tries or so to get over 20 so a 100 ball run will take me some years to accomplish. 52 is my highest run ever.

Today I lost inspiration for drills, so I got back to a relaxing drill I was doing two years ago. I simply spread all 15 balls with no clusters and ran out with ball in hand. Then I reached for the balls in the pockets and did it again. Felt good, relaxing and quite easy. But then I missed a shot on a 3rd rack. I underestimated this. Much easier than 14.1, but you still need very good positional play.

OOps. Let's try once again. This time full concentration, let's try to run as many as possible. Expected at least 4 racks. Well, I ran little over 7 racks, 108 balls to be exact. Got into trouble just once when I had to make two tough shots. Made about 6 or 7 positional errors, but always had a shot anyway. I was tired after this. It took me little over 30 minutes. Phew!!! Even though 108 balls ran like this is maybe only worth 35 or so in real 14.1...I'm a happy puppy today...:D
 
I once saw a C-level player accomplish a similar feat. Not to say that it's easy. It simply lacks a direct translation to the actual game. In my local room, there are a few players that consistently run 100s throughout the week. One local player did it 3 times in 3 days. When you see this, you'll realize the difficulty of such a feat. Not to say that running 100 should not be your goal, I'm simply saying that it deserves a degree of respect and understanding if you are to accomplish it.
 
Jude Rosenstock said:
I once saw a C-level player accomplish a similar feat. Not to say that it's easy. It simply lacks a direct translation to the actual game. In my local room, there are a few players that consistently run 100s throughout the week. One local player did it 3 times in 3 days. When you see this, you'll realize the difficulty of such a feat. Not to say that running 100 should not be your goal, I'm simply saying that it deserves a degree of respect and understanding if you are to accomplish it.

I wouldn't expect a C-player to run 100 open balls without missing. Well, I guess this story proves one point: don't ever gamble on 14.1 in NY unless you're Thorsten Hohmann. :rolleyes: :D
 
mjantti said:
I wouldn't expect a C-player to run 100 open balls without missing. Well, I guess this story proves one point: don't ever gamble on 14.1 in NY unless you're Thorsten Hohmann. :rolleyes: :D


If you spread the balls out well and do the drill for 5 hours a day 3 days a week, eventually the bizarre happens. My point is, when you spread the balls out, a significant portion of the problems a straight pool player encounters is significantly diminished. A good portion of straight-pool success has to do with problem-management while maintaining position. If all you have to do is focus on position, you're missing something.

What makes straight-pool insanely difficult is when you have ONE available shot and 10 balls in a cluster and you HAVE TO make the ball and come-up with something or your run is over. I mean, it's one thing to just make the ball but many of these experienced players know what to expect from the cluster they're breaking out.
 
predator said:
Well, I sort of found out today.

It's a dream for me to run 100 in 14.1. But currently I need 10 tries or so to get over 20 so a 100 ball run will take me some years to accomplish. 52 is my highest run ever.

Today I lost inspiration for drills, so I got back to a relaxing drill I was doing two years ago. I simply spread all 15 balls with no clusters and ran out with ball in hand. Then I reached for the balls in the pockets and did it again. Felt good, relaxing and quite easy. But then I missed a shot on a 3rd rack. I underestimated this. Much easier than 14.1, but you still need very good positional play.

OOps. Let's try once again. This time full concentration, let's try to run as many as possible. Expected at least 4 racks. Well, I ran little over 7 racks, 108 balls to be exact. Got into trouble just once when I had to make two tough shots. Made about 6 or 7 positional errors, but always had a shot anyway. I was tired after this. It took me little over 30 minutes. Phew!!! Even though 108 balls ran like this is maybe only worth 35 or so in real 14.1...I'm a happy puppy today...:D

Not bad :).

Once you learn the trick to this drill it is pretty easy. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Furthermore always play position so that the cue ball is never more than a foot away from the ball you are shooting. You should be able to run balls for days like that.
 
wish I knew...

I have come fairly close to getting to that 100 a few times. I haven't done it yet. I have gotten to the mid 60's a few times this year and last year my high was 72. I don't know what it is about running 2 more racks but it's something I always strive to do when I am playing. Maybe I try too hard... maybe I lose my concentration... or perhaps a combination of both. Whatever it is, it is something that has eluded me for some time now. For those that have actually done it, let me ask them this... Did you finally feel that some kind of weight was lifted off your shoulders or did you feel more pressure to try to do it again?
 
I think suboptimal position play will catch anyone sooner or later. Some after 1 rack, some after a day or two. Even in this simple game where all the balls are open. You can have 50 or so simple shots in a row, and then all of the sudden you leave yourself a tough long cut or long draw.

The last shot that I missed was not too tough over the ball shot. The kind of shot that is nearly certain despite shooting over the ball. It was the only available shot despite having 12 open balls on the table on the shot before. That was 6th or 7th positional error, and it finally caught me.
 
100 ball run

My problem was always trying to run 100! Old timers kept telling me to quit counting...let someone else do it. I used to get real close...85/95/89/91 etc. and would then miss an easy shot. One day I was playing a friend and ran 161!!! First time over 100 and he told me the count when it was over ... I just felt good and played comfortable. Since then there has been more but that first one felt really great.
 
My one and only

Well my one and only run to pass 100 came during a tournament finals. We were playing a 150 point finals and i was down 101-36. My opponent missed and i just started running balls and did not realize where i was in the run until the tournament director told me i was shooting for 1. Meaning i only needed 1 ball. so that is my high run...114... I have never come close to breaking 100 since. I have had some high 80's and other runs in the 70's. A wise old time player once told me the trick to running balls is not trying to. He said that if i just keep practicing that the runs will come. He was right..................................mike
 
Back
Top