What joint style does an old mid '80's Palmer PB7 have?

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Palmer PB7 I bought new I believe in the mid eighties. I was considering buying a LD shaft for it and using it for a player sometimes. It has a metal joint like my 5/16-14 Schon's but the pin has more threads per inch than the Schon. Would this joint be considered a 5/16-18?

I have three OEM shafts for it but they are all close to 13mm with the long ferrules on them. I may have one turned down to 12.5, shorten the ferrule a bit and re-tip it but wanted to explore the option of getting a LD shaft for it. If anyone can confirm the joint style that would be great.

Thanks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Palmer PB7 I bought new I believe in the mid eighties. I was considering buying a LD shaft for it and using it for a player sometimes. It has a metal joint like my 5/16-14 Schon's but the pin has more threads per inch than the Schon. Would this joint be considered a 5/16-18?

I have three OEM shafts for it but they are all close to 13mm with the long ferrules on them. I may have one turned down to 12.5, shorten the ferrule a bit and re-tip it but wanted to explore the option of getting a LD shaft for it. If anyone can confirm the joint style that would be great.

Thanks.
5/16x18 afaik

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Palmer original PB-7 in decent shape with three shafts?

SCORE !

That’s a nice stick. The pin is 5/16 18tpi. In my experience Palmer used some fine high quality maple for their shafts.
Their butts always seem to have nice points too. Sharp points!

I might consider keeping those original thickish Palmer shafts and use that “low deflection” shaft dollar toward a qualifying hard case for your Palmer!

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I bought this cue new in the mid 80's and had Palmer make me 2 extra OEM shafts at the time. I also bought a Palmer hard case for it as well. I always liked the turquoise and red/orange coloring of some of the points. I've long since replaced the Palmer with a couple Schons as my players but kept the Palmer because of sentimental value and I've always thought it was a pretty cue. Below are a few pics of it.

Attachments

• palmer 3.jpg
    palmer 3.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 74
  • palmer 1.jpg
    palmer 1.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited: