• Pentax------less than 500.00

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pentax------more than 500.00

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

enzo

Banned
if you want to take (or be capable of taking) amazing images, and dont want to spend a boatload, get a nikon d40. it actually has a very quite shutter and is great for pool. you'd then have to get the lenses you'd want of course. you could literally spend 5 times as much on a canon body, and not really be capable of doing anything so monumentally important over the d40 body.

enzo

Banned
D40x is an old model that was replaced by the D60 and recently was replaced by the D3000.
The D5000 that I recommended is the next level but it's a big jump as it has the same CMOS sensor that you'll find on the more expansive D90 and D300. I would not recommend the 17-35 (as great as it is) because he would probably do better with an all-around lens for everyday use, something like the 18-105VR that can come as a kit lens that will save some money and an additional macro lens for his needs (photographing coins and such)

people say these cameras get outdated, or "replaced" WAY too quickly nowadays. this is the way the camera companies want you to think, it is NOT the truth. bodies hold up well for very long periods of time. if you put a free d40 and a free d3000 in front of me, id grab the d40. why, mainly because i can sync at 1/4000 with off camera flash with a d40 (you cant do that with 2000 dollar bodies!!!), and the fact that at 6 mega pixels you can do whatever you want with your images. in other words, 6 mp is a good compromise between file size and picture quality.... you really dont need any more (unless you like to crop, a LOT).

Big Dave

Pool Hack!!!
Silver Member
I use a Samsung Pro815...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungpro815/

It's a really superb, affordable compromise between an SLR and a Compact, and has three really fantastic features... 1. Incredible 28mm wide angle to 420mm all-optical zoom - no other single lens has this range. 2. Superfast start up. 3. Huge view screen. 4. Very long battery life.

I love it, BUT...

It's a pretty poor choice for pool photography as it's performance in low light is really terrible. :D :D :D

XxMerlinxX

Pleased As Punch
Gold Member
Silver Member
^ I imagine with such a large focal range, you also get a bit of barrel distortion at the wider end?

rugerfan

Got a Snakewood fetish...
Silver Member
I have had more digital cameras then I can honestly remember. I currently own Nikon D200,D50,8700 and several point and shoots. To tell you the truth, unless your printing larger prints, I still like the D70s with a decent lens. I just sold a used 17-35mm 2.8 for 1,226.00...you have to step up for good glass. Some of the point and shoots have very good glass but operation speed is much slower (trade off). Be sure to get a camera with a hotshoe that allows you to shoot off camera flash. I have several flashes mounted to tripods with wireless controllers/umbrellas. Allows you to experiment with different lighting configurations. Whatever you decide to go with, buy a quality tripod and use it. That in itself will improve picture quality by leaps and bounds.