What pool needs is corporate advertizers, but..

cigjonser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think pool has a hard time being picked up by mainstream media because it's just BORING for non-players to watch. It's even boring for many pool players to watch. There are simply too few moments of great excitement in a pool match. Mostly because there's nothing an opponent can do to stop you from running 11 racks in a row. I want to play the game, not sit while someone else plays. Pool is probably the only game where the goal is to prevent your opponent from playing at all (which takes it out of the realm of "sport" for me. It's not even really a "competition"; you're pitting your skill against the layout of the table - an opponent isn't even required if you break and run through the whole set.) It's like watching someone play tennis against a wall.

Even baseball, considered by many to be a pretty boring sport, has moments of excitement once the ball is in play. It becomes a race to see if a fielder can get the ball to the baseman before the runner gets there. Or a running dive catch, etc. What's the equivalent in pool? A 3-rail kick? Plus, the pros miss so rarely because they almost always get perfect shape, it's gotten to the point that at the highest levels the game has become so formulaic the commentators can actually predict what the players will do most of the time. Borrrrring...

So, strike 1: Not Exciting.

Also, pool is an individual thing; it's always one-on-one, and that's hard to get behind. There's no real incentive to cheer for the victory of an individual because there's nothing much in it for the cheerer. Why celebrate Player X's victory over Player Y when all that victory means is that Player X gets a trophy and a check for $10,000 or whatever? There's no glory to share in. In fact, if someone was watching a pool match in a bar and yelled out "OH HELL YEAH! EFREN JUST RAN ANOTHER RACK! WOOOO HOOOO!" people would probably look at them strangely.

Baseball, football, etc. all are made up of teams that represent an area, and THAT people CAN get behind (at least much more easily). If we had some pro pool teams, I could definitely see many more people getting behind "Team L.A." than I could see getting behind any single individual.

Strike 2: No Teams.

And of course Strike 3 is pool's image, but that's hard to change because pool tables are found in bars and pool halls, both of which are assumed to be filled with degerates and alcoholics.

But, here's an idea I think would make pool more watchable at least and possibly move it up a notch in the eyes of sponsors/advertisers:

1. Pro teams representing different areas.

2. Scotch quintuples.
Get the whole team playing.

3. Each team gets three pockets on the table*.
Let's get some banks and kicks in there, some hard shots, difficult position routes, etc. Half the skills the pros have are never used because kicks, banks, etc., are too risky. Why take the chance when a miss means your opponent will likely run out? But those are the spectacular shots we all love to see! I think getting only 3 pockets = more of those kinds of shots = better game to watch.

4. 8-ball.
Actually it would be kind of a hybrid between 8-ball and one-pocket. John Q. Barplayer plays 8-ball. They know the rules and play the game themselves. Bigger demographic. Plus if it was 9 or 10-ball with only 3 pockets to shoot at it would be too much like one-pocket with safety after safety which is a snorefest.

*The pockets could be divided up like this (one example):
A B
B A
A B

Winner of the lag chooses which set of pockets they want or the first break.

Thoughts?
 
If reality game shows have taught us anything, it's that anything can be exciting if you care about the participants.

I don't think it is fair to call pool boring, as it is no more so than golf. For each broadcast they should dedicate some time introducing the audience to the players, ie. interviewers, short clips of following them around, highlights of previous performances. If I don't care who wins, why would I want to watch?
 
Not to you and me, I agree, but I'd say that's more because we love to play the game than it is because pool is exciting to watch. To me watching the pros play on TV is like a free instructional video. I'm just trying to figure out a way to make the game appealing to a broader audience (even including people who don't play at all).

I think having teams would probably be the biggest thing. Team CA vs. Team NY for the National Pool Championship, for example. The other stuff was more to flash up the game a little.

I personally think Team CA would SMOKE Team NY, but hey, I'm from So. Cal., it's what's I'm supposed to think. :D
 
Back
Top