What setup gets me closest to a 9 ft Diamond?

only_onionrings

I'm in the process of looking for a pool table. The place I take lessons at only uses Diamond tables however, it takes almost 45 minutes to get there and they are the closest place with 9 footers as well. I have the space for a 9 footer however I'm stuck on what to buy. Diamonds are 9k before delivery and setup. I'm in the and have seen exactly zero used ones advertised. I'd be willing to buy new except I haven't seen anywhere that does financing. I've been told go Gold Crown which is also really difficult to find around here. Also, after talking to my instructor, they suggested not getting a Brunswick since that isn't "the future of pool" and will play vastly different from anything I play on. I wondered if that was still true if I swapped out the felt for Simonis 860 and switched out the rails. Or by that time would I have put so much into it I would have been better of buying a Diamond? Is there any other setup that I haven't heard about that would at least put me closer to a diamond play style (even if it isn't exact)? I'm looking for a 3-piece slate (a single won't fit through my front entry hall and up the stairs) and a ball return. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may need a new instructor. Either that, or he should cease giving equipment recommendations.

Where are you located? A properly setup Brunswick Gold Crown will play every bit as good as a Diamond at a fraction of the cost and will last the rest of your years in a home setting. Don't get me wrong, a Diamond is a great table and the are built to last as well. If you have the means and are willing to wait for delivery, by all means get one. A properly setup Gold Crown is a viable option. I was able to snag my Gold Crown I for $400, cosmetically restored it myself and hired the best mechanic on the west coast, Steve Leistikow, to adjust the subrail bevel for modern K55 profile cushions, extend the subrails, install new Diamond Black cushions and cut the pockets to 4.125" in the corners and 4.875" in the sides. Soup to nuts, I've got about $3K in it. It plays fantastic; just as good, if not better than a Diamond. In terms of aesthetics, it blows a Diamond Pro Am away.

49622667162_283e6b60a9_b.jpg

49603456301_6bf97eb126_b.jpg

51509051949_1ce1151cc5_b.jpg

52269876034_2ef2b3a948_b.jpg

TrxR

You may need a new instructor. Either that, or he should cease giving equipment recommendations.

Where are you located? A properly setup Brunswick Gold Crown will play every bit as good as a Diamond at a fraction of the cost and will last the rest of your years in a home setting. Don't get me wrong, a Diamond is a great table and the are built to last as well. If you have the means and are willing to wait for delivery, by all means get one. A properly setup Gold Crown is a viable option. I was able to snag my Gold Crown I for $400, cosmetically restored it myself and hired the best mechanic on the west coast, Steve Leistikow, to adjust the subrail bevel for modern K55 profile cushions, extend the subrails, install new Diamond Black cushions and cut the pockets to 4.125" in the corners and 4.875" in the sides. Soup to nuts, I've got about $3K in it. It plays fantastic; just as good, if not better than a Diamond. In terms of aesthetics, it blows a Diamond Pro Am away.

49622667162_283e6b60a9_b.jpg

49603456301_6bf97eb126_b.jpg

51509051949_1ce1151cc5_b.jpg

52269876034_2ef2b3a948_b.jpg
I'm curious about his location as well as some place like where I'm at iits almost impossible to find a Gold Crown of any sort and if you do its probably 10+ hours away and they want 3000 plus for it and will need redone.

only_onionrings

I'm in Seattle but, I have the same problem as @TrxR where Gold Crowns are few and far between and people are asking 5k without redoing them which is insane to me. I don't really want to wait 10 months to a year. Rassons look a little cheaper than Diamonds and the wait time is only 4 months. Idk maybe it's worth it to try that rather than dump 7k into an old Gold Crown trying to get it close to a Diamond. At this point, I really feel like I'm just running in circles.

Edited to add: Lovely table by the way!

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
For reference I drove 10 hours round trip to get my GC4 and paid $2200.

Repaired the stretcher between the pedestals and sent the top to Mark Gregory for new cushions, angles and tightened pockets.

It does play quite well and I have no issue going between this GC4 and a Blue Label.

I was in the market for a Diamond prior to this table, however I've got 1/2 the cost of a Blue Label in this GC and since bought a spare top to have reworked. I don't regret it one minute.

I say you can't go wrong with either but Diamonds don't come up for sale often. Gold Crown tables win the looks department everything no doubt.

DeeDeeCues

I'm in Seattle but, I have the same problem as @TrxR where Gold Crowns are few and far between and people are asking 5k without redoing them which is insane to me. I don't really want to wait 10 months to a year. Rassons look a little cheaper than Diamonds and the wait time is only 4 months. Idk maybe it's worth it to try that rather than dump 7k into an old Gold Crown trying to get it close to a Diamond. At this point, I really feel like I'm just running in circles.

Edited to add: Lovely table by the way!

Financing a pool table may be the dumbest legal thing a person could ever do.

DeeDeeCues

Why is that? People finance cars everyday, they depreciate much faster than pool tables and I have never heard of a pool table getting totaled out while sitting at a red light. They are pretty tough to steal too, no wheels and no motive gear.

Fair points, but I've never driven my pool table to work. I've made money with my vehicles. My pool table has cost me money, but at least I didn't pay interest on it, also

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I absolutely love my Diamond table. Worth every penny. I'd have borrowed money to buy it if I had to. This table will play amazing for decades.
Saw a pristine 9' for sale in Vegas recently for 5K which included a Diamond polisher and Tournament balls.

zhR5GZJ.jpeg

only_onionrings

I absolutely love my Diamond table. Worth every penny. I'd have borrowed money to buy it if I had to. This table will play amazing for decades.
Saw a pristine 9' for sale in Vegas recently for 5K which included a Diamond polisher and Tournament balls.

See, I would immediately think that was a scam. Was it a red label? I've wondered if the cost to ship would be worth it. I'm guessing about 2k to get it up here but, I don't know who is a reliable shipper when it comes to pool tables.

only_onionrings

Seyberts in Michigan has 9 foot Pro-Ams for $8495 in stock. You will pay out you ass for shipping, but it depends how bad you want one.
I wondered if they were actually in stock. I'm assuming I still have to pay extra to have it all set up after. I'm guessing about 2k for shipping. All in all, coming to about 12k. I know they retain their value. I never see any for sale out here so I might end up alright with it if I do need to sell it.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
See, I would immediately think that was a scam. Was it a red label? I've wondered if the cost to ship would be worth it. I'm guessing about 2k to get it up here but, I don't know who is a reliable shipper when it comes to pool tables.
Nope, it is posted on Craigslist. The ad looka perfectly legit. Looks like it is still there as of this posting. Moving/shipping is definitely going to add to the price and hassle.
I would consider going and getting it if it was not quite so far.

tomatoshooter

I really don't see the big deal about diamond tables. I see nothing special about how they play.
I think they are wonderful tables but agree there is nothing special about how they play. The corner pockets may accept balls a little differently, but I don't think that I would adjust my game for this. I think it's more of an issue that tables with wider angles between the facings can be a bit snooty with hard shots hit along the rail. My game is nowhere near refined enough that I would play differently on different brands of tables, assuming they are properly set up and maintained.