What upgrades/changes helped?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son is recently started working at a pool hall as a manager (basically second in command to the owner) that does pretty good business but has very little "player" presence or draw for tournaments. They have a kitchen that has not been opened much lately. Pretty basic bar, nothing fancy. 10 9 foot tables are furniture tables, with old rails, but are clean and the cloth is replaced when needed. 3 more 7 foot Valley tables by the bar and in another room. Has anyone did a full room table upgrade and seen improvements in the amount of players that brought in? Is it better to save the money and try to develop some stronger relationships with the local known people that put on tournaments in other rooms? Some other place to make changes? He wants to make the food better with a window to the outdoor patio and moving the bar, with getting 7" Diamonds in place of the Valleys, which I don't think will make any difference. The pool players stick with the 10 9 footers, the 7 footers just get the bangers. Getting the food going again I think is a good idea though, but relocating the bar is a bit much, I think new tables would be a more welcome change for the players.

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
A few things I would change or think about:

- If there are other pool rooms in the area where tournaments take place, just go there and look for what's different to what you're doing. Maybe there are established tournaments already that just overlap with yours.
- Furniture tables aren't very attractive for serious players. In my opinion, a furniture table is better than no table at all but if there's a possibility to play on a professional table (GC, Diamond, etc.) even if it's further away, I'll go there instead.
- Opening the kitchen will help a little bit for sure but I think the 'players' won't care that much about it. For casual customers, I think it will make a difference.
- I agree that replacing the Valleys with Diamonds won't help much.

I personally think it would be smarter to look what others are doing better or talk to people you know why they're going to other pool rooms or participate in other tournaments before you start changing, investing on your part.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
My son is recently started working at a pool hall as a manager (basically second in command to the owner) that does pretty good business but has very little "player" presence or draw for tournaments. They have a kitchen that has not been opened much lately. Pretty basic bar, nothing fancy. 10 9 foot tables are furniture tables, with old rails, but are clean and the cloth is replaced when needed. 3 more 7 foot Valley tables by the bar and in another room. Has anyone did a full room table upgrade and seen improvements in the amount of players that brought in? Is it better to save the money and try to develop some stronger relationships with the local known people that put on tournaments in other rooms? Some other place to make changes? He wants to make the food better with a window to the outdoor patio and moving the bar, with getting 7" Diamonds in place of the Valleys, which I don't think will make any difference. The pool players stick with the 10 9 footers, the 7 footers just get the bangers. Getting the food going again I think is a good idea though, but relocating the bar is a bit much, I think new tables would be a more welcome change for the players.
I have 14- GC3 9' tables available, good opportunity to replace those furniture tables. :)

TFT
8fbf8d0bd761faac097acca02f824d84a5a68333-1.jpg

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I have 14- GC3 9' tables available, good opportunity to replace those furniture tables. :)

TFT

I was just going to mention your stash.

Personally, our pool hall does good business in part because it does good weekly tournaments and due to the leagues. The service sucks but the food is pretty good.

It takes one Person to do the marketing and keep the excitement that tourneys need to have staying power. A runout pot, for example. A good MC for the calcuttas, etc.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The Cue Expo is this summer at Big Dog's.

Have you sold them one of those for their 10' table?

Jeff Livingston

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simple answer - Pool players will spend as much $ or more $ on food as they do on the pool, and non players will spend 100% more $ on food than on pool, if it is good quality food at a fair price.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Randy Hanson. 218-234-9393 He won't mind my posting this.

Drop my name.

Jeff Livingston
Jeff,
I want to thank you for getting me in touch with Ron!! We spent two and a half hours on the phone this evening! I am likely headed out that way for the Expo! I will PM you my cell number and you can call me if you ever need anything pool related: tables, cues, lights or anything pool related! I I appreciate your support and helping me make that connection. Much respect: THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!!

TFT

P.s. The www.icatraining.com system should be installed tomorrow, I worked on the mount tonight and then spent the rest of the evening talking with Ron, great guy and I can't wait to meet him. Love to meet people I can learn from that are successful and most importly: THAT I CAN TRUST!!! :)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Jeff,
I want to thank you for getting me in touch with Ron!! We spent two and a half hours on the phone this evening! I am likely headed out that way for the Expo! I will PM you my cell number and you can call me if you ever need anything pool related: tables, cues, lights or anything pool related! I I appreciate your support and helping me make that connection. Much respect: THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!!

TFT

P.s. The www.icatraining.com system should be installed tomorrow, I worked on the mount tonight and then spent the rest of the evening talking with Ron, great guy and I can't wait to meet him. Love to meet people I can learn from that are successful and most importly: THAT I CAN TRUST!!! :)

That's what sites like AZB are good for.

I look forward to seeing your system at work.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Trent....

I've had a notion for years to contact this company, MUSCO lighting, here in our State about their using their lighting engineering prowess to create better lighting for pool tables. MUSCO, if you didn't know, invented how to light NASCAR racing so the strobe effect was minimized and it could be shown on tv. Big deal for that sport.

I always thought maybe they could light tables from under the rails, for example, instead of from above. Anyway, here's their link:

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

PS If nothing else, they're a good competitor you can learn from.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Trent....

I've had a notion for years to contact this company, MUSCO lighting, here in our State about their using their lighting engineering prowess to create better lighting for pool tables. MUSCO, if you didn't know, invented how to light NASCAR racing so the strobe effect was minimized and it could be shown on tv. Big deal for that sport.

I always thought maybe they could light tables from under the rails, for example, instead of from above. Anyway, here's their link:

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

PS If nothing else, they're a good competitor you can learn from.
I spoke with Michael Littman from Littman Lights and I had already seen the parabolic reflector they use. He highly recommended them and you can barely tell the light is on from the sides with that type of reflector.

As per your idea with MUSCO, we cant wait to get done so we can: TEAR THIS THING APART AND MAKE IT BETTER!!! Its a lot of work because it has so many different purposes. Definitely a Multi-Media Mind Bender!

More to come soon!

TFT