whats the best or what clear for cues?

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
hi all , i will be spraying cues in the near future , and i was wondering what clear to use , some use glue? , i have a bud that works at car paint store so i know i can get quailty stuff at a good price, thank you....
 
hi all , i will be spraying cues in the near future , and i was wondering what clear to use , some use glue? , i have a bud that works at car paint store so i know i can get quailty stuff at a good price, thank you....

Sean,

I am no expert in automotive clear but I tried 3 different clears until I was happy with my current choice.
I went with the suggestion of a buddy of mine that owns an autobody shop supply and couldn't be happier.

Cues look like they have been dipped in clear water, shrinkage was very minimal (I have a test piece of wood still hanging with no issues for almost a year).

Talk to your buddy and ask him what are the most popular clears he sells and try the top two selling ones and make your own decision.
Also getting a good gun is essential... I have 2... A 3M Accuspray 12S and a SATA MiniJet 3. I know a lot of cuemakers use just a cheap HF, but I was not happy with the results when I tried it.
 
hey Guerra i have an Anest Iwata i traded for my old 8 ft table , i used it a few times to spray my stang and my buddies car and man that gun is awesome , i do want a Sata too , but right now im saving my pennies for my Cuesmith lathe ,i have sprayed $80 clear vs $200 and i loved the $200 it just seemed to flow alot better and got great results ,im just wondering if it will work on wood , i know 2 cuemakers here but i want to know what the forrums think of the clear
 
hey Guerra i have an Anest Iwata i traded for my old 8 ft table , i used it a few times to spray my stang and my buddies car and man that gun is awesome , i do want a Sata too , but right now im saving my pennies for my Cuesmith lathe ,i have sprayed $80 clear vs $200 and i loved the $200 it just seemed to flow alot better and got great results ,im just wondering if it will work on wood , i know 2 cuemakers here but i want to know what the forrums think of the clear


Good gun, no doubt. When I was looking at a clear coat I was basically looking at a clear that was hard, good flow, minimal shrinkage and a somewhat fast cure time. I also looked at the clarity of the clear...
I tried the new California regulated Dupont and had an amber tint to it, hated it...
Like I said before, check with your autobody supply guy, sometimes the most expensive clear is not always the best.
There are quite a bit of cuemakers here on the forum that have an autobody background and experience that can be much better help than me.
I went with my gut feeling which was the advice of the experts in the industry, the guy at the autobody shop supply and some friends that paint cars for a living.
Keep in mind that the better the prep work on your cue the better results you will have in the end.
 
kool , well im getting al info as i can so when i do spray cues i will know what to buy thanks :smile:
 
Back
Top