what's the quality like on the 2012 OB cues?

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I'm referring to the but sections, I wanna pick up an ob126 or 122

Made in China? I don't have too much of an issue with that, way of the world nowadays I guess, but is the quality decent?
 
Excellent cues. and only made in USA, Texas to be exact, so buy without worry. Plus, their customer service is second to none.
 
The cues are fine, but if you want the latest & greatest, the new Plus technology is what's current
 
Didn't Joss make some of OB's cues in 2012? Regardless, I had one for awhile and gave it to my Son who loved it. It was of good quality and hit nice. Plus, you get the excellent OB Shaft on it. Good value IMHO.
 
I've got an OB121 (Cocobolo sneaky pete) that I think is from the 2012 line. Ditto for my OB Breakl. I've heard that the 2012 butts were made by Joss.

They're perfect as far as I can tell.
 
I guess I'm referring to the but sections, I wanna pick up an ob126 or 122

Made in China? I don't have too much of an issue with that, way of the world nowadays I guess, but is the quality decent?

I am biased as I work for OB. With that said, we are very proud of the quality of the product that we build and like any good manufacturer we are always attempting to improve the quality of our products. The cues that were build in 2012 were very good, the same models that are built today are even better.

Our products are NOT made in China. All of our cues and all of our shafts are Made in the USA in Plano, Texas. If you are ever in the Dallas area, feel free to call us and arrange a free tour of our factory and see our products being built for yourself!
 
I am biased as I work for OB. With that said, we are very proud of the quality of the product that we build and like any good manufacturer we are always attempting to improve the quality of our products. The cues that were build in 2012 were very good, the same models that are built today are even better.

Our products are NOT made in China. All of our cues and all of our shafts are Made in the USA in Plano, Texas. If you are ever in the Dallas area, feel free to call us and arrange a free tour of our factory and see our products being built for yourself!

OB would be even better if they got my order out the door, and spent less time on AZ Billiards><:smile:
 
Didn't Joss make some of OB's cues in 2012? Regardless, I had one for awhile and gave it to my Son who loved it. It was of good quality and hit nice. Plus, you get the excellent OB Shaft on it. Good value IMHO.

In short, no. Here is our cue building timeline:

The company was founded in 2005 when we introduced just shafts as that was all we were building back then.

In 2008 we started selling cues which were referred to as the J-Line. The J in J-Line stood for Joss because Joss built the butts for us and we built the shafts.

In Mrach of 2012 we introduced the 2012 series OB Cues which we build in house in Plano, Texas. At the same time, we discontinued the J-Line cues and stopped ordering butts from Joss as we were finally ready to start building our own complete cues.

In March of 2013 we introduces the Infinity Inlay Cues, again, these are cues that we build 100% in house from start to finish.

In March of 2014 we introduced the OB Lift and Lift Pro Jump Cues built by us in Texas and then a couple of months after that we introduced the new plus shafts.

At the end of this month we are also introducing our new OB Rift Break Cues (you guessed it, 100% built by us in Plano, Texas :) )

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this.
 
OB would be even better if they got my order out the door, and spent less time on AZ Billiards><:smile:

Touche.

Although, to be fair, Royce and I are the ones that post on AZB and neither one of us are part of the full time production process. I can assure you that the guys in our factory building our products (and your order!) are doing just that and not posting on AZB :)
 
In short, no. Here is our cue building timeline:

The company was founded in 2005 when we introduced just shafts as that was all we were building back then.

In 2008 we started selling cues which were referred to as the J-Line. The J in J-Line stood for Joss because Joss built the butts for us and we built the shafts.

In Mrach of 2012 we introduced the 2012 series OB Cues which we build in house in Plano, Texas. At the same time, we discontinued the J-Line cues and stopped ordering butts from Joss as we were finally ready to start building our own complete cues.

In March of 2013 we introduces the Infinity Inlay Cues, again, these are cues that we build 100% in house from start to finish.

In March of 2014 we introduced the OB Lift and Lift Pro Jump Cues built by us in Texas and then a couple of months after that we introduced the new plus shafts.

At the end of this month we are also introducing our new OB Rift Break Cues (you guessed it, 100% built by us in Plano, Texas :) )

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this.

Shane:

Wasn't Jacoby involved in the manufacture of the OB butts around this time as well? ("Around this time" meaning, before OB switched to in-house manufacture.)

-Sean
 
Last edited:
Touche.

Although, to be fair, Royce and I are the ones that post on AZB and neither one of us are part of the full time production process. I can assure you that the guys in our factory building our products (and your order!) are doing just that and not posting on AZB :)


OB shafts have always been popular in Denver, but people are looking for OB cues now as well, even by model number.
 
I've been using an OB 122 for about a year now and absolutely love it. I have it paired with the OB Pro, which is a great shaft. The one thing I really like about my cue is the weight bolt system. You can dial in a pretty exact weight. I have mine set at 18.7oz with the balance point at 19 1/2" from the butt end. I personally chose OB because they are American made and the simplicity of the cues, as I'm not a fan of anything very flashy. I just want my equipment to get the job done. I will say my cue does seem to ding a bit easier than others so I don't know if the butt wood is just a tad softer than usual. Also, I play 90% in bar leagues so that is most definitely the contributor.

Speaking a little on brand recognition, I'm in San Diego and almost everybody I've talked to has never heard of OB. My cue guy knows they make shafts but asks if I had custom work done because of OB's stitch ring and I have to tell him every time that the whole cue is from OB. this is probably due to the fact that the main local dealer is of Predator cues.

To the op concerning the OB 122. Its not actually solid black. there are some sections that appear to have less stain than others so it's a mix of solid black and extremely dark grey. I will say though, that at any distance over 2 feet it definitely looks solid black.

To the playability. I admittedly have not much to compare the cue to, but I do know my preference and can say this cue meets what I like. the butt is a touch thinner than most cues I've held and I love that. like stated earlier I use an OB Pro shaft with one of pooldawgs milkdud tips and it gives me a great solid and crisp hit. I also break and play with the cue and have had zero issues.

To OB. if you can make me a solid black OB Rift I'll buy one on the spot. haha.
 
Back
Top