when is moving a ball a foul?

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When is moving a ball a foul when playing "cue ball foul only." I know if I move a ball into a ball in motion, that I have committed a foul. But what if I move one ball with a bridge and move it more than a foot without it touching any other ball? I know my opponent has the option of moving it back. Is it a foul? Can he move it anywhere on the table?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
No foul

When is moving a ball a foul when playing "cue ball foul only." I know if I move a ball into a ball in motion, that I have committed a foul. But what if I move one ball with a bridge and move it more than a foot without it touching any other ball? I know my opponent has the option of moving it back. Is it a foul? Can he move it anywhere on the table?

It is not a foul.

There is some confusion however, when an object ball is moved by the cue during the shot but before the cue strikes the cue ball (possibly clearing the path for the cue to strike the CB). I believe this is (or should be) a foul. Touching (moving) an object ball when shooting over it might be a common example of this.

Regarding your last question, he (or she) cannot move the ball anywhere on the table. They must make an attempt to put it where it was.

I once saw someone that was reaching extra far with the bridge slip and move half the balls on the table with the bridge. As no one could possibly put all the balls in their original position, the game was played over. This can also be done when there is a disagreement on where an accidentally moved ball was...

Sometimes these things are covered in detail in the league rules, sometimes not.

mike.wasyliw

The best way to look at whether moving a ball is a foul or not is to determine the outcome of the table due to the moved ball. If the moved ball changes the outcome of the table (touches a moving ball, or moves away from a ball hitting it) the shot is a foul. If there was no change in the outcome of the table due to the moved ball, the shot is not a foul. The opponent has the option to move the ball back to its original position, or leave it as is.

As for shooting over a ball, it is not a foul to move the impeding ball, unless it has an outcome on the shot, or touches the cue ball. This is a bit tricky to call as a referee. If the cue ball is frozen to the impeding ball, any movement of the impeding ball during the stroke, it is an automatic foul, as the moved impeding ball moved the cue ball before the tip struck the cue ball, thus foul. If the cue ball is not touching the impeding ball, its quite tough for a referee to prove the cue ball foul, thus it would most likely be called a good hit, unless the moved ball changes the outcome of the table as described above.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
The best way to look at whether moving a ball is a foul or not is to determine the outcome of the table due to the moved ball. If the moved ball changes the outcome of the table (touches a moving ball, or moves away from a ball hitting it) the shot is a foul. If there was no change in the outcome of the table due to the moved ball, the shot is not a foul. The opponent has the option to move the ball back to its original position, or leave it as is.

As for shooting over a ball, it is not a foul to move the impeding ball, unless it has an outcome on the shot, or touches the cue ball. This is a bit tricky to call as a referee. If the cue ball is frozen to the impeding ball, any movement of the impeding ball during the stroke, it is an automatic foul, as the moved impeding ball moved the cue ball before the tip struck the cue ball, thus foul. If the cue ball is not touching the impeding ball, its quite tough for a referee to prove the cue ball foul, thus it would most likely be called a good hit, unless the moved ball changes the outcome of the table as described above.

2nd sentence. "Moves away from a ball hitting it". Clarify please.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not a foul.

There is some confusion however, when an object ball is moved by the cue during the shot but before the cue strikes the cue ball (possibly clearing the path for the cue to strike the CB). I believe this is (or should be) a foul. Touching (moving) an object ball when shooting over it might be a common example of this.

Regarding your last question, he (or she) cannot move the ball anywhere on the table. They must make an attempt to put it where it was.

I once saw someone that was reaching extra far with the bridge slip and move half the balls on the table with the bridge. As no one could possibly put all the balls in their original position, the game was played over. This can also be done when there is a disagreement on where an accidentally moved ball was...

Sometimes these things are covered in detail in the league rules, sometimes not.

In the case where the guy moved several balls, that should be a foul, other player gets ball in hand, or behind the line if one pocket etc...

Rule is normally "if more than one ball is moved or if the path of the cueball goes through where the ball is now or was, it's a foul". Now there could be modified rules where anything goes, but I think the general rule if more than one ball is moved it's a fouls is a good one.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You said the impeding ball moving the tip is a foul, there was a post about this before, if the cue strikes a ball before it hits the cueball, this rule would make that a foul correct?

Basically, the cue has to hit the cueball first or it's a foul, can you confirm that? Nice to have an official rep that enforces the rules posting, finally some of these questions can get cleared up. Although we'll always be in the murky waters of " that's the world standard rules but who knows what your league goes by" LOL.