When to hit a safety in different games

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
So most players know what a safety is (some don't and will always go for it) however, I am curious as to the various situations or circumstances that some players play safe.

What situations have you been in that you decided to play a safety?

How does your safety play differ when playing different games; rotation games, 14.1, one pocket, etc.

What are some situations you have been in that somone played safe on you and you disagreed with why they played it?

Do you agree that two-way shots are part of the game and rules should not be implemented to penalize a player for shooting a shot and safety at the same time?

Personally, I usually play safe when I have no shot or I feel that I have a low percentage chance of finishing the game. (i.e. trouble balls). Occasionally I find myself playing someone that I know doesn't kick well or deal with trouble and I will play an easy safe over a moderate shot.

Carl

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jesus safes...

So most players know what a safety is (some don't and will always go for it) however, I am curious as to the various situations or circumstances that some players play safe.

What situations have you been in that you decided to play a safety?

How does your safety play differ when playing different games; rotation games, 14.1, one pocket, etc.

What are some situations you have been in that somone played safe on you and you disagreed with why they played it?

Do you agree that two-way shots are part of the game and rules should not be implemented to penalize a player for shooting a shot and safety at the same time?

Personally, I usually play safe when I have no shot or I feel that I have a low percentage chance of finishing the game. (i.e. trouble balls). Occasionally I find myself playing someone that I know doesn't kick well or deal with trouble and I will play an easy safe over a moderate shot.

Carl

I don't play one pocket, so I can't speak for that game. But in the other games I play safe when I determine that the risk is higher than the reward of going for the shot. But sometimes I violate that rule when it is an interesting shot that I cannot resist taking.

I don't see why anyone should be penalized for playing safe at anytime, two-way shot or otherwise. Good safety play doesn't get the appreciation it deserves, both inside and outside the pool world. I know it makes the game "boring" - at least to those who don't understand it - but removing safety play, in any form, would greatly reduce the strategy in the game. Then it truly would be boring.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
You can never penalize someone for a safety or take it out of the game.
The problem I have isn't the safeties themselves but the people who play them with no urgency to improve position for or have a move planned from that safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
You can never penalize someone for a safety or take it out of the game.
The problem I have isn't the safeties themselves but the people who play them with no urgency to improve position for or have a move planned from that safety.

I was referring to the rules that some use where if you cal a ball/pocket and miss, but leave your opponent tough, they have the option to shoot or give the shot back.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was referring to the rules that some use where if you cal a ball/pocket and miss, but leave your opponent tough, they have the option to shoot or give the shot back.

You may get stoned to death....azb is a two way shot kinda crowd. I prefer it...but that's another topic..

I play safe offensively in addition to when I'm out of line with no shot.
- Going for 3 fouls after a person is already on one, maybe after a scratch or breaking and scratching. Have to leave their object ball near other balls for the easy ball in hand 3rd foul.

- playing safe on the balls before a bad tieup. Then you can use ball in hand to open the cluster. Or just shot the object ball into the cluster directly and play safe. Especially useful in 8 ball with more clusters than 9 or 10 ball.

-playing safe and setting up a combo on the money ball.

The physiological effect of winning with intelligent safes like these is huge.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm a member of the two-way shot club. Don't like this version of ten-ball. Luck will always be present to some degree. Just my take.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I haven't seen that. In 10-ball that's only an issue if you make the ball in the wrong pocket or make the wrong ball or call a safety and make a ball by accident.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen that. In 10-ball that's only an issue if you make the ball in the wrong pocket or make the wrong ball or call a safety and make a ball by accident.

I know that one of the EastCoast tours, might be Predator, played that way. If you miss and hook the guy he can make you shoot again. I play like you do. Those are the World 10ball rules. To me the two-way is part of the game.

PocketPooler

Silver Member
I play safe when the percentage of a successful safety is higher than the percentage of making the shot or completing my run. In 9 ball and eight ball, I spot my trouble balls or the trouble transition to a ball, and also my safety ball straight after the rack is broke. If the safe comes before the trouble spot. I play preplanned safety first. If the problem comes first, i look for a safety while also promoting the problem into an advantage.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tense up when my opponent is down on the CB and I see that he has an easy lock-up safety. Then my heart sings with glee when I see that he goes for a stupid hard shot instead...

When I'm playing a league race to 7 and I'm playing someone that hardly ever plays safe, it's probably worth about 1.5 games on the wire for me.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learning to play safe in 9-ball is easy: watch good players, including pros. Pros play a lot of safeties and you will see the same safeties over and over.

Playing safe in 8-ball is harder. Or at least it seems to take more experience. One reason is pros don't play many 8-ball safeties. A mentor of mine once said "Look at the table. Is there ANY place you could put the CB that would leave your opponent with no shot? Then put the CB there."

For example, in 8-ball often after the break there are many balls on the foot spot end of the table. Often it's a good option to play safe (breaking up your clusters if possible) and leaving the CB near the center of the end rail on the foot spot side of the table.