Where is the CB going

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I didn't say that... Merely that aiming is a tiny portion of the game as a whole, that some people can fixate on. Being a very proficient potter doesn't necessarily make you decent player.

"Decent" is of course a subjective designation.
Consistent would be a better word to use…..

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
By consistent I am referring to wins. To be a consistent winner goes far beyond just putting a ball in a hole.

Reactions: bbb

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...to much is happening for an aiming system to have a chance.
Aiming systems don't mechanically point to precise aiming targets - they only get close. The shooter gets the rest of the way by feel, including adjusting for whatever else is happening. Aiming systems and aiming with experience-based skill aren't mutually exclusive - in fact they're functionally pretty much the same.

pj
chgo

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Consistent would be a better word to use…..
Maybe in the scope of your thoughts... I'm speaking about the "game" as a whole when I rate a player as decent. You can be the most accurate/consistent potter in the world, and still lose the majority of your matches.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Maybe in the scope of your thoughts... I'm speaking about the "game" as a whole when I rate a player as decent. You can be the most accurate/consistent potter in the world, and still lose the majority of your matches.
Why you only quote part of my post?

I stated to be a consistent winner……..isnt that the whole god damn point of the game.. so to win?

Consistency is the key. It was real obvious in the matches I was watching.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Why you only quote part of my post?

I stated to be a consistent winner……..isnt that the whole god damn point of the game.. so to win?

Consistency is the key. It was real obvious in the matches I was watching.
I didn't.... I quoted the post in which you responded to my comments. Please follow the little arrow in the quote box to review the post I quoted. I did so in it's entirety.

No worries. We all make mistakes ;)

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I agree, to much is happening for an aiming system to have a chance. Most shots I shoot look horrible according to the ghostball....but they usually go in.🙂

Doing well. Hope you are too.
Well buddy- I ve seen some "shots" from you and you re for sure one of these guys who love to underrated themselves, "grin" :)
Furthermore i m pretty sure, that some ppl would wonder a bit, "how" you shoot and how you aim :)

Pretty knowledged guy, that "little 8pack" :) and a f...in strong shooter as well.
take care

Reactions: bbb

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I didn't.... I quoted the post in which you responded to my comments. Please follow the little arrow in the quote box to review the post I quoted. I did so in it's entirety.

No worries. We all make mistakes ;)
My bad…….thanks for the correcton…

Watching theses matches, Ive taken away this:

Aiming method used doesnt matter.

There is no standard stance.

Where the CB is on the table determines the type of stance.

There is no standard stroke.

There is no standard bridge.

What there is players using whatever works for them.

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good analogy to what you're saying would be to go to a bowling alley and watching the different styles of bowlers which in itself is very interesting. Imagine how nauseating it would be watching everybody using the same style, same form, approach, follow thru etc. Humans share the same uniqueness of no two snowflakes being alike.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
A good analogy to what you're saying would be to go to a bowling alley and watching the different styles of bowlers which in itself is very interesting. Imagine how nauseating it would be watching everybody using the same style, same form, approach, follow thru etc. Humans share the same uniqueness of no two snowflakes being alike.
Correct, but the VERY BEST bowlers are very specific in how they aim with exact adjustments for conditions. No one in aiming has ever stated that there aren't many techniques that work. We just push back on the idea that some of them which clearly DO work are said not to work.

And people can say, usually LOWER LEVER players, that there are no standards but in fact there are best practices which amount to standards because those who don't have some mastery over those best practices don't succeed very often in competition.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
My bad…….thanks for the correcton…

Watching theses matches, Ive taken away this:

Aiming method used doesnt matter.

Why? Because you KNOW what aiming methods are being used? Of COURSE you don't. So the actual statement should be that aiming method matters as long as it is an effective one.

There is no standard stance.

There are certainly standard stances. In pool it is the Hal Mix style and in Snooker they have a stance that is pretty standard. Can players succeed without either of these? Sure if they figure out how to deliver the cue consistently.

Where the CB is on the table determines the type of stance.

Yes, because depending on the shot there are parameters that determine the body position. This is also a standard because ANYTHING else is not likely to be practical or consistent.

There is no standard stroke.

Of course there are standards in stroking. Try NOT having a straight stroke and see how you do.

There is no standard bridge.

There are bridge types that are standards. Where do you come up with this bs? When you are shooting you are VERY likely to be using the standard bridge types.
What there is players using whatever works for them.

Wow, how insightful. People use what works. That's deep.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Watching a 10 match last night. Player makes the OB, The CB stops frozen to the 9 ball and the 10 was made.

Thing is the 9 was on the spot with CB frozen to the 9 in such a manner that when the 10 was spotted, the CB was frozen to both.

The next legal ball was on the side rail behind this cluster, but toward the corner. The players only option was a one rail kick…….which he missed giving BIH to next player who runs out.

Shows how important to always know where the CB is going, much more than just putting a ball in a hole.

Oh…….seen lots a rail first, kicks being missed also.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Watching a 10 match last night. Player makes the OB, The CB stops frozen to the 9 ball and the 10 was made.

Thing is the 9 was on the spot with CB frozen to the 9 in such a manner that when the 10 was spotted, the CB was frozen to both.

The next legal ball was on the side rail behind this cluster, but toward the corner. The players only option was a one rail kick…….which he missed giving BIH to next player who runs out.

Shows how important to always know where the CB is going, much more than just putting a ball in a hole.

Oh…….seen lots a rail first, kicks being missed also.
Sounds like the players were either not highly skilled or there were difficult situations. OF course cue ball control is important. So is pocketing.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
One thing that's important on CB position. Always make a decision to come up short or long. Which is better, short or long? If you don't decide, you will often come up in that one spot where CB is hooked or straight in. Note to self: Don't be this guy.

There's nothing worse (bar missing the money ball maybe) than having a run out and hooking yourself because of lack of decision on CB position. Thinking you can literally land anywhere with it will often put you in the worst place, you might luck out and still have a shot, or you might end up hooked in a place you never even thought possible.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I heard a player make the statement……if ya can make a ball from anywhere on the table, then position doesnt matter…..some truth in that.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
One of the players I saw playing that didnt get the position they wanted and screwed up their run was SVB during a 14.1 match….guess hes just not highly skilled.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
One of the players I saw playing that didnt get the position they wanted and screwed up their run was SVB during a 14.1 match….guess hes just not highly skilled.
You saw a player make a mistake? Yes, the vast majority of the time it is a mistake that ends a run. Glad you finally figured that out.