Where to find "thick" trim rings?

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm trying to find a source for thick (2-4mm) copper or silver rings. Most everywhere seems to stop at about .031". I'm looking for much wider than that. Any sources out there or do I need to buy solid rod and cut and bore my own?

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought copper sheet in different thickness and cut rings out with a hole saw on my drill press. Only needed a few. You could do the same with aluminum sheet. Not sure about thick nickel silver. Sterling silver = big $.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
It looks like buying a sheet is going to be the answer. Since I only need a few, I won't need a large peice so hopefully won't break the bank.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did a cue with sterling silver, cut them out on the cnc. Just glue a sheet down to a block of aluminum. The easiest way is to use masking tape and CA glue. Silver cuts like butter, copper not so much. If you are going thicker than a 1/32" then I would machine from solid, if its silver you are after then I would go to a jeweler and have him cast you some rough blanks. Make them a bit bigger on the OD and a bit small on the ID and then machine them to size. I engrave my logo on a badge on most of my cues. The badge blank is thicker than I can find in plate so for the silver cue I did, I had a jeweler make me a small badge and I machined it to size. The only cavoite to this is that cast silver is annealed. The piece I had made the jeweler rolled it after to work harden it.

Last edited:

slim123

I just did a cue with sterling silver, cut them out on the cnc. Just glue a sheet down to a block of aluminum. The easiest way is to use masking tape and CA glue. Silver cuts like butter, copper not so much. If you are going thicker than a 1/32" then I would machine from solid, if its silver you are after then I would go to a jeweler and have him cast you some rough blanks. Make them a bit bigger on the OD and a bit small on the ID and then machine them to size. I engrave my logo on a badge on most of my cues. The badge blank is thicker than I can find in plate so for the silver cue I did, I had a jeweler make me a small badge and I machined it to size. The only cavoite to this is that cast silver is annealed. The piece I had made the jeweler rolled it after to work harden it.
Contact cemet works pretty good, then use a spray releae agent< I got that From Dickie neighbors

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I don't want the obvious stacking of rings to get to 3-5mm, I want a single ring. Lucasi has introduced a new line of cues with very wide rings that I find attractive, I'd like to achieve a similar look.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want the obvious stacking of rings to get to 3-5mm, I want a single ring. Lucasi has introduced a new line of cues with very wide rings that I find attractive, I'd like to achieve a similar look.
What material? If it is anything but silver just part them off of solid rod. Fairly routine machining job. What are you using for a lathe? Does your lathe lack the rigidity to part off rings?

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I can part them off just fine from a solid rod. However, the cost of a 1.5" solid copper rod, 1' long, is $175 +/-. Those rings would be pretty pricey once I put a few on the cue.

I'm still looking for a cheaper option. There are also several different alloys of copper out there and I'm no metalurgist so need to do more research to determine which is best for this application.

Here is the Lucasi version in Rose Gold, I think it looks pretty nice

1686437373150.png

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I'm still looking for a cheaper option. There are also several different alloys of copper out there and I'm no metalurgist so need to do more research to determine which is best for this application.
Have you looked in the plumbing section? A pair of calipers and a visit to a big hardware store might net you some stock. Note that I am not a cuemaker and this may be a really dumb idea... you might want to research it to see if it's viable.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can part them off just fine from a solid rod. However, the cost of a 1.5" solid copper rod, 1' long, is $175 +/-. Those rings would be pretty pricey once I put a few on the cue.

Here is the Lucasi version in Rose Gold, I think it looks pretty nice

View attachment 703521
You only have a few options, cut them out of plate, solid or a thick wall tube. I would cut them out plate if you didn't want to buy solid rod. Cut your blanks out on the band saw. Then turn them round on the lathe. You will have to build a jig to hold them for boring out the hole. Or you could try and cut them out on mill, but copper is not fun to cut with small endmills. I started using copper in my cues way before it was available as pre-made from the usual vendors. I always cut them out myself. If you build a couple of mandrels you turn the od and you can also build jig for boring them out. That one is a little trickier. Look into possibly having them cut out on a waterjet. That would be the easiest.

Last edited:

slim123

Why does it have to be copper or metal at all? You stand a far better chance of making something, that would look as nice, and you wouldn't have the pain of building more equipment, jigs, or having someone else cut them for you. I'd be willing to bet i could find another material, maybe a wood, plastic, etc that would suffice. Something much easier to work with

DeeDeeCues

Why does it have to be copper or metal at all? You stand a far better chance of making something, that would look as nice, and you wouldn't have the pain of building more equipment, jigs, or having someone else cut them for you. I'd be willing to bet i could find another material, maybe a wood, plastic, etc that would suffice. Something much easier to work with

A wood that looks like copper? Color me skeptical.

DeeDeeCues

Dude leave it alone, I don't need to explain The word plagiarism I was trying to be helpful and here you come trying to be cantankerous wtf.

Plagiarism? I don't know what word you meant, but I don't that is the one.

How is it helpful to suggest wood when a guy says that he likes the look of copper?

slim123

Plagiarism? I don't know what word you meant, but I don't that is the one.

How is it helpful to suggest wood when a guy says that he likes the look of copper?
Get a dictionary, or just use google GO AWAY My spelling is correct,
Where are your suggestions for this gentleman's post anything can be made to look like anything else , do the work or the leg work and find your answers