Where to start?

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I go to an engineering school, so naturally, we have machine shops. And we have lathes! Since I'm going to be here for another couple years, I think I *might* try my hands at doing some cue work. Nothing like make a cue from scratch, yet...

Are there any books/videos you recommend I check out and read? I don't have a mentor for this, so reading and watching others is the best I can do. Thanks for the advice!

LoGiC

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several sources out there for what you are looking for. The most reputable that I know of on here is Chris Hightower he sells lathes and inlay machines and accessories the customer service is top notch check out his website

http://www.cuesmith.com

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
LoGiC said:
I go to an engineering school, so naturally, we have machine shops. And we have lathes! Since I'm going to be here for another couple years, I think I *might* try my hands at doing some cue work.

I'd bet that if someone asked to use one of our Engineering schools Hardinge HLVs to turn some wood the shop manager would toss them head-first into the swarf barrel ! It can't hurt to ask, but understand that wood can be quite abrasive and difficult to clean out of a machine tool, something precision shop operators are not keen on.

Dave

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, one of my friends and fellow shooter takes his cue down there and puts it up on the lathe no prob. He cleans and retips shafts, but doesn't do any larger endeavors for fear of screwing up his/others cues.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
LoGiC said:
Actually, one of my friends and fellow shooter takes his cue down there and puts it up on the lathe no prob. He cleans and retips shafts, but doesn't do any larger endeavors for fear of screwing up his/others cues.

Cool ! Not that it is always an enjoyable thing, but screwing things up can be a great way to learn. Go for it !

Dave, who often tests the "smoke theory" of electronics :eek: