Which case do you prefer -tubes or felt liners

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I have been looking at various cases , I do believe that JB makes one of the best cases going. But if you was looking for a case would you prefer the round hard tubes or the felt dividers and why. Which one do you think is best to go with. The guy that ran the pool hall I played in growing up always said that cases with felt dividers were cheaper and did not protect the cue as well. Then I have heard people say that the tubes can scratch the cue from use. Just curious as to your opinion’s. Thanks

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the ultra pad interior of my JB case. The full length dividers hold the butts and shafts snuggly. No rattle at all. No scratches at all.

Because they fit snugly and close together, I do take an extra 2 seconds when putting the butts in to make sure to slide them in carefully so as not to bump another butt or shaft as I slide them in. Literally, 2 seconds of extra care…

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had Elite cases for a couple of years and really like them. I like the spring loaded feature in the tubes. Makes the cues easy to get out.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer something like my 10 year old Instroke. I guess those are tubes, I have one of the felt liner, tight fit, more modern cases. yes the cues feel more snug inside those felt liners, but some of those cases that supposedly hold multiple cues seem very difficult to place and remove cues - so much so that I just use that case for storage.

I thing the snugness thing was overdone a bit in the felt cases, just my own experience.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I've had both, tubes and now felt. The tubes were fine when the condition of my cues wasn't of improtance. Now that I play with something of value, I use a felt lined JB. I wouldn't use a tube case with my current player.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Hello ,

I have been looking at various cases , I do believe that JB makes one of the best cases going. But if you was looking for a case would you prefer the round hard tubes or the felt dividers and why. Which one do you think is best to go with. The guy that ran the pool hall I played in growing up always said that cases with felt dividers were cheaper and did not protect the cue as well. Then I have heard people say that the tubes can scratch the cue from use. Just curious as to your opinion’s. Thanks
After buying a JB, I would never use anything but the ultra pad liners. It's on an entirely different level of protection than the tubes that I've used before.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love my whitten tube dividers. They are hard enough not to let the cues.shaft bang against each other, and narrow enough to not allow alot of movement. Easy to get in and out. Best i have ever had. Wish i bought one 25 years ago. Joe was an absolute gentleman and great to work with.

My wife's JB rugged is also nice. The thickness of the padding is very protective. Excellent case for the money. Very impressed. John was helpful and responsive when we ordered a few years back. The perfect choice for my wife.

I like to keep my cues and shafts in the same spot in the case. I find that with the felt lining i can accidentally put them in the wrong spot. Minor issue, i know, but it just irks me when i do it.

Tubes is my preference, thick felt my wife's. Two different opinions same house.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My last Case from JB was a Mason type, semi sort, it was awesome. Today I use 1 X 2 GTF soft Inside, hard tube ouside. I have Case coming from John aka JBCases.....NUFF Said when I get I might show photo, and do review.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to use cheap stick bags, had a It's George folder until it wore out. Got many dings just throwing the bag into the front passenger well so I slowly got more careful. Now I have several Chinese plastic tube cases that I'm confident would keep anything in 'em damage free.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a $100(now about 175) 2x4 J&J from Joe Salazar about 15yrs ago. Thought i'd have it a few yrs and then upgrade to a JB. Well, i'm still using it and it still looks like new. It holds long cues and has little springs in the shaft wells so they don't get stuck. It also has wheels so if you're too tired/drunk/broke you can drag it caveman-style. ;) Got my eye on 3x6Rugged, maybe this fall. The 'ol J&J has been a trooper of a case for a C-note outlay.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 cases with 'Ultra Pad' interiors and numerous lined felt tube style cases. Both style interiors work. But I feel the Ultra Pad interiors are superior in keeping your Cues /Shafts snug, safe and secure.

If you load your cases to capacity and are in a hurry tubes. Ultra Pad interiors require a little more time / care loading full but well worth it if you don't want your Cues/Shafts moving around when traveling.

Have a good day,

-Kat,

chenjy9

Speaking of JB case, I finally took my shot and ordered a custom color-themed JB Ultimate Rugged case. Navy blue body, slate grey trim, and black zippers and accents. Now I just need to wait 8-12 weeks for it to be ready.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Speaking of JB case, I finally took my shot and ordered a custom color-themed JB Ultimate Rugged case. Navy blue body, slate grey trim, and black zippers and accents. Now I just need to wait 8-12 weeks for it to be ready.

Having actually seen a couple of Basic Rugged’s there is a lot of value there. Plus great protection for Cues.

Many choices, many options.

Last edited:

chenjy9

Having actually seen a couple of Basic Rugged’s there is a lot of value there. Plus great protection for Cues.

Many choices, many options.

The difference for me ended up being the extra pocket. I can use it for an air tag and chalk

Last edited:

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
My old Mcdermott leather wrapped tube case is as good as anything and I love the wood ends.

71dewajack

I bought a Porper case, roughly 30 years old, that was foam on the inside. It was a really good case, but it had lived its life. I was mainly looking for a cheap case that I could use for storage. I bought one through Seyberts, not really looking that closely at it. I had never used a tube case before and it never occurred to me that the case I was purchasing was a tube case. I was surprised when I opened it, but put my cues and shafts inside. I was disappointed that there was so much room for my gear to bounce around in the tubes. I would never take that thing anywhere. Now my case was cheap, so I'm sure there are fantastic tube cases, but I don't like the idea of my cues and shafts not fitting snuggly into a case. I purchased another inexpensive case, but this time with the soft, non-tube interior, and I'm very content. I would have no problems taking this case anywhere. Now if I traveled often with my gear, I would have splurged for something nicer, but this suits my needs right now.

Riley Pitchford

If you have an inexpensive cue then anything will do. The more expensive cues require more protection to protect their value. I have 3 Whitten cases. The first one I bought from Joe Witten 30 years ago. After 5 years the zipper broke. I contacted him to get it fixed. He returned it 2 weeks later, no charge. You cannot beat quality and customer support.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I bought a Porper case, roughly 30 years old, that was foam on the inside. It was a really good case, but it had lived its life. I was mainly looking for a cheap case that I could use for storage. I bought one through Seyberts, not really looking that closely at it. I had never used a tube case before and it never occurred to me that the case I was purchasing was a tube case. I was surprised when I opened it, but put my cues and shafts inside. I was disappointed that there was so much room for my gear to bounce around in the tubes. I would never take that thing anywhere. Now my case was cheap, so I'm sure there are fantastic tube cases, but I don't like the idea of my cues and shafts not fitting snuggly into a case. I purchased another inexpensive case, but this time with the soft, non-tube interior, and I'm very content. I would have no problems taking this case anywhere. Now if I traveled often with my gear, I would have splurged for something nicer, but this suits my needs right now.
Those foam filled Joe Porper cases are awesome.
My lady has had one since '93 and it's been in use a couple nights a week since.

I recently reconditioned the vinyl, rebuilt the cap insert, trimmed the frayed material around the zippers and replaced the zipper pulls, although they still functioned well. Looks great. Hard to believe it's over 25 years old.
Although I've given her a 2x4 Instroke and a 1x2 It's George, she loves that old Porper because it's a featherweight.

And it holds the cues snug.