Which glue do you use?

_tony_

Registered
Hi everyone,
I'm an amateur European pool player.
I've decided to try out an experiment in building a Cue (for fun) out of several (15pcs) different woods (with a soft core).
Therefore I wanted to ask you guys, what kind of glue would you use to join the pieces together (Epoxy, Superglue, Wood glue)?
I thought as well of giving the cue an epoxy bath after the pcs would be sticking together, but in that case I have no idea how much more weight I would be adding to the cue through absorption (for not treated wood).

It's a fun project and doesn't aim to be reaching a professional result in any way, but still I would like to do my best.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Describe the type of construction you anticipate using?
Do you have any other experience as a woodworker?
What kind of machinery will you use to make the joinery of "15 pieces" ?
What is a soft core? Why?

People like early Rambow & BBC used hot hide glue because it was all they had. OTOH in the right construction it is stronger than epoxy.
In the right climate it is durable - veneer work and furniture from ancient Egypt is still stuck together in many cases. (lots of ebony and exotics)
OTOH it has no moisture resistance and bugs eat it. So few of us use it anymore. Probably "no one" for cues.

Hot hide glue, and yellow glue like titebond have the most invisible glue lines and are the least staining if your joinery is perfect.
Some cue makers still use a lot of yellow glue. You need to work fast in large assemblies before the glue skins over (starts to dry) or the bond will be poor or non-existant. Small pieces, non-complex assemblies it has plenty of working time, and dries fast enough to move on in a "couple hours" though it should not be machined for at least overnight.

Good wood epoxies like WEST are nearly foolproof. You take the cost and mess, but they cover well for small mistakes. With the correct fillers, will fill voids that would otherwise have to be perfect. They are extremely durable, give you a lot of time to assemble parts and clamp them before they skin over. Some woods require acetone de-oiling, and a 2 step epoxy application process before closing up the assembly. But if you measure the components exactly, use the correct fillers (usually cotton flocking for glue bonds) and don't work too cold, it's almost hard to get a poor bond even with half fast joinery. Though all your friends will notice the poor joinery. A good epoxy will generally take about 6 to 10 hours to set at around 75F. longer if colder, faster if hot. 5 minute or even 1 hour epoxies are not good epoxies for cues or other woodwork.

smt