Which major tournament would you choose if you could only attend one per year?

FordSVTCobra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll offer one more reason to choose the Derby, momentarily overlooking the issues with accommodations and scheduling.

One thing you get to see is the professional development of the game's superstars that results from playing in the fringe games.

1) SVB got serious about one pocket in about 2010 and by January 2012, he had two Derby City one-pocket titles. His one-pocket game had clearly improved his speed control, and it began to show up in his 9ball game. Sure enough, he won the next three US Open 9ball titles.

2) Jayson Shaw played bank pool and greatly improved his banking skills, which became a strong point of his 9ball game. He has won a lot of major titles.

3) Fedor Gorst and Josh Filler keep honing their all-around skills in the fringe games. At the last DCC, Fedor won Master of the Table and Josh had a top five in all each of banks, one pocket and nine ball. They are, in my view, the two most complete players in pro pool today.

Some Americans who honed their all-around skills by playing in every event at the Derby were Sky Woodward, Billy Thorpe and Justin Bergman. Each made gains in his 9ball game by doing so.

Watching the stars of the game taking it to an even higher level is part of the joy of attending Derby City.
Thank you for your additional thoughts. It's certainly been my top choice for a while but the previously mentioned shortcomings have made me pause. I thoroughly enjoy your event recaps and am looking forward to the one for this year's DCC.

Do you know if the organizers have a lengthy contract in place with the venue? I know that the location is very convenient for Diamond and they probably have a favorable deal given the time of year, but I hope enough players and fans voiced their frustration to force some changes.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were deciding between the following in no particular order, which would you choose and why? All things considered from top to bottom including venue, location, logistics, food, action, safety, etc.

Turning Stone Classic - Verona, NY
Derby City Classic - Elizabeth, IN
US Open 9 Ball - Harrah's NJ
US Open 10 Ball - Griff's Las Vegas March
US Open 1Pocket - Griff's Las Vegas Nov
The International Open - VA
Derby City Classic.....because it's the pinnacle event of US pool. Everybody goes and the action is literally nonstop. Nothing else compares. I went in 2012 and 2014.