• Regular Shaft

Votes: 233 49.1%
  • Other

Votes: 64 13.5%

• Total voters

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
i used to shoot with an ancient meucci with the original shaft and now i have a dick neighbors custom and use the two shafts he made for it.

xtenglong

Johnnyz86 said:
the only reason i saw this thread is i search for one of these shafts on the forums. i think this should be in the main forum!

You're probably right. Is there anyway for me to move this thread, or can somebody else move it?

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a question to the LD shaft owners, what is the hardness of your tip?

I have read that a hard tip is better for them for deflection characteristics and they put so much spin anyway. However, I have milk dudley tips coming and they are from elkmasters, and the end hardness rating is medium at low 70's. The only reason I chose them is that they are hyped, pressed (more consistancy from tip to tip than the other tip I wanted, triangle), without me having to do anything. Anyone try a medium or softer milk dud with a LD shaft?

2backunderme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shaft

im with chris,, good old hard maple, or as i tell the younger players, a willie mosconi shaft,,lol,,,hype, hype, marketing and hype is what shafts are about today, they all go overboard in trying to prevent squirt...if willie comes back to life and walks in your pool hall, give him a predator to try, he'll unscrew it and whip you with the butt,,lololol

Simple

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the full splice wenge-hornbeam shaft made by DBK with MooriQ and 12,25mm Tip.
attachment.php

good_lawd_yall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shaft

I shoot with a richard harris cue that I won in a raffle. Micarta ferule. I don't know if it's the butt taper, shaft taper, ferule or the whole package but it works well for me.It just seems to fit me. It's worth the 40 dollars I have in it anyway.It really has some pop and a good feel . I wouldn't stake tomatoes with any of the LD shafts I've tried.I bet the pro's wouldn't give a flip about them either if they weren't getting sponsership and most of them could win with a broomstick anyway. Maybe if they would pay me I'd like them better.Just my opinion.

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
I stick with the original............

The original shafts that came with any of my cues are what I primarily use.

sun526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Waste of money

I use the standard issue shafts. I play equally as bad with either and can't see wasting money to still suck....lol

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played with pre-cat 314's since'97, and have switched over to OB1's. I use the Everest tips on them - seems a really good fit. Choice of shaft is an individual thing, but I kept with them because of consistency. One maker vs taper vs etc vs another, the shafts will play WAY different.
I suspect so many pros are using LD shafts for the same reasons. They play very much the same shaft to shaft (w/ the same joint type, of course), & they require less "adjustment" for eccentric tip position at various speeds.
Don't buy into any of the LD shaft "bashing" you hear. The pros have e-mail - ask a question.

jkmarshall_cues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also prefer the pre-cat 314 by Predator. I must have 20 cues with that shaft. (I have one that hits very well and it's been on many a cue. Now it's on an old Rambow full spliced 26 1/2.) The cue hits like a cannon.

I feel comfortable with the first generation cat logo Predator, but don't really like the feel of the 314-2. Just my opinion.

John

what about?

What about the meucci black dot and red dot? I am curious to how many play with them. would be nice to see. I personally shoot with a black dot shaft and really cant shoot with much else because it hits different. different i mean i think for the better. the 314 and z are to easy to get unwanted english. just my oppinion though. Sure would like to see meucci's on the poll!!!!!!!!!:smile:

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Besides regular maple shafts, I'm using a laminated Terminator-T3 shaft from Arnot Q on my newest cue. I don't know if it's the way it feels or the way it hits, but I seem to be playing a better game with it. At any rate, it sure feels good.

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
I also prefer the pre-cat 314 by Predator. I must have 20 cues with that shaft. (I have one that hits very well and it's been on many a cue. Now it's on an old Rambow full spliced 26 1/2.) The cue hits like a cannon.

I feel comfortable with the first generation cat logo Predator, but don't really like the feel of the 314-2. Just my opinion.

John

I have (2) pre-cat Predators that I've been shooting with for over 10 years. I've never tried any of the other Predator models, nor other manufacturer's models. I've used my Predators on a few different butts and have had good results.

I normally play with a LePro, but recently put on a Wizard medium. I've been shooting with the Wizard for a few weeks and like the way my cue is playing.

I've also made a few flat-laminate shafts that have gotten good reviews. I use one as a break shaft and it does a great job. Another buddy plays regularly with one and he loves it, plus I've got a few customers who have hit with one and are interested.

....just my take on LD/laminated shafts......

cuejunky

Pool Player
Silver Member
I've never had issue with any of the shafts that came with my customs so never tried any after market shafts. I think most custom cue makers know what works.

NoLove

Veteran "Go Off" Artist
Silver Member
If I buy a cue, it's because I like the hit of that cue. Therefore I guess it only stands to reason for me that since I usually buy them new they come with their original shafts made by the cuemaker. I have never even considered trying a laminate shaft because I liked the hit in the first place when I bought the cue.... so this makes me wonder "have I been missing out?" Nah, I doubt it, I have confidence in my equipment and in the big picture of it all... THAT"S WHAT MATTERS....

My .02...

SK Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
old wood

IMG_0240-1.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

ld shafts are good for the new comers and up & comers, but for me, I'll stick with good ol' fashioned technique. I can get around the table much better with a shaft that deflects the cue ball than a shaft that doesn't.

Too much intricate accuracy is dependent upon pool at a high level of skill and there is much I am limited to with LD.

The shaft that I play with is approximately 50+ years old off an old brunswick house cue. It doesn't get any more seasoned than that. Of course, find me a nice piece of maple shaft wood and that is good too. To me, LD shafts are somewhat unnatural and therefore limit the player. Accuracy in stroke can be achieved and skill accomplished in plenty good time and to a high enough level with naturally made wood shafts.