Why is no one talking the advertised 9-b tourney with a $1 million first place prize?

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
All you guys ...

Seem to be forgetting that this is on a
7' Bar table ... Quite a few players in the country are capable of beating Johnny or Busta or Mika, etc.. on a bar table. Don't forget they are used to playing on a big table on a regular basis not a bar table.

I can name 6 or 7 players that would have a shot, and at least getting into the money ... James Waldon, David Matlock, Gabe Owen, and others, and they are just Midwest players. Matlock has run 28 tables in 9 ball on a bar box.

and the thing with Earl ... He didn't run the tables in a room with witnesses. He had 1 friend videotape him doing it. And from what I heard, the tape was doctored. That's why it was settled out of court, and he did not get all the money, or even close to it.

Teddy Harris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re: All you guys ...

Snapshot9 said:
and the thing with Earl ... He didn't run the tables in a room with witnesses. He had 1 friend videotape him doing it. And from what I heard, the tape was doctored. That's why it was settled out of court, and he did not get all the money, or even close to it.
Don't know where you get your information, but there were at least 100 people there watching! Earl ran 11 racks at CJ's Billiard Palace in Dallas during a PCA pro event. There were witnesses up the yazoo, not to mention a video. All the rules according to the contract were adhered to. That is the reason why Earl got paid.

N

Number1

hey gremlin I'd be there, if I had a spare 10,000 lying around the place, I'm not in it for the money just the glory. I agree with what was said about believing you can win it, I have travelled the world and bot met anyone I didn't think I could beat, and I'm sure there isn't anyone I couldn't beat. But as a wise old man once told me, there's a world of difference between playing friendly's,comps and playing for you own money. It would be interesting to see if the "top players" did as well is such a comp. Unfortunately, most of them woudln't be playing for there own money.

I quit snooker to go to University and when I finished I promised myself I would go pro at pool. There was however no money in the game in the UK so I went to Australia to earn some money. However it does seemt that pool is starting to get its act together now with some real big events happening, IBC tour, WPC, and possibly the olympics etc.

I was lucky enough to go to las vegas to play in the BCA open and did ok, this kind of event has really restored my passion for the game I just hope that some honest guys can get together and sort the game out. Seems like one guy is trying to organise a US tour which would ge good on the back of the regional tour. I also hope the IBC tour is also going to grow and get bigger, also hope that the WPC can remain THE only world championship and the US players take it more seriously.

I still only manage to play 1 or 2 nights a week and thats usually on a snooker table. But I'm so keen to play now that I'm going to go to three comps in sept to see how good the "best" players in the world are and if pool is big enough for me to make a life changing decision and quit my career lol!

I am hoping to playing in the joss event in cambridge, the us open and with a bit of luck the IBC tour stop in manilla on the way home.

I don't own a jump cue, hardly played on a 9 ball table, don't even know all the 9 ball rules probably, but I guess I have that belief that most pool players have LOL

If you don't believe in yourself who else will?

Craig

T

texasexpress

response to "Ruthless" about Earl

Mr. Ruthless ...
You are ill-informed about the " Million Dollar Challenge" where Earl ran the racks.
I, Robin Adair and Jay Helfert were the tournament directors at the event at CJ's.
The stipulation in the ( payment ) rules were instituted by the insurance company underwriter: SDS ... as follows:
the last 5 racks had to be racked by a neutral racker and filmed/taped. The reason Earl had to run 11 racks is that the tournament format was "rack you own" and he simply would not stop at 5 .. and racked his own at 6 and ran out; then, I forced him to stop by stating that he would have to run 11 and Jay Helfert then began the racking for racks number: 7,8,9,10 & 11 ( the last 5 racks ); and the filming/taping began.
Every spectator and every player in the event witnessed .. as tournament play completely halted when it became apparent that Earl had a chance to complete the run.
I assure you that nothing was rigged in this event .. particularly the tables .. they were all triple shimmed crowns with new Championship tournament grade cloth.
The reason for the delay in payment to Earl was due to lack of communications between the following 2 parties; The Marketing Continuum ( the PCA hired them as their marketing company ); and: SDS underwriters.
The insurance had been "bound" pursuant to Texas State Law, but the insurance company wanted to fight .. but in the end settled with both Earl and the PCA.
Incidently, in order for SDS to underwrite the event .. statistical information had to certified as to how difficult running 10 racks in tournament play would be; that information was provided by the PHD and Department of Statistical information at the University of Texas and his/their department concluded that the odds were 1 in 6.5 million attempts.
By the way .. Earl was playing Nick Mannino in the match and the final score was 15-1.
If your information came to you via the rumormill .. then you can use this information in the future to inform others that this is the real-deal about the "Million Dollar Challenge".
Lastly, Earl had an option ( when this was settled with SDS ) to accept either the annuity ( $50k per year x 20 years ); or, a lump sum settlement ( of the principle ) .. which was less ( in total ) to the annunity .. he accepted the lump sum payment.
John McChesney
CEO
Texas Express

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for clarifying what in the past seemed to be an urban legend. I had heard so many different versions of this event, just like the ones posted here, and it is great to finally hear the facts.

ManlyShot

T

TomColeman

Celtic -

The World Series of Poker (WSOP) takes a 6% draw or rake of the buy-ins ($ paid to play and get chips) for the Tournament. Some Poker Tournaments draw higher and some also charge an entry fee in addition to the buy-in.

Mr. McChesney -

Thanks for the info. I am new here and was a bit confused on this story, but now see the light. That must have been a HUGE marketing coupe for your organization for the Million $$ Spectacular to occur. The odds against were enormous.

I have a new Tournament Series we are launching in the SouthEast. Having a "Bonus" like that at our Championships would be HUGE for us as well. Do you recommend any particular Insurance Company that still underwrites those type policies?

Thanks - Tom

T

texasexpress

response to Tom

Tom,
I and Robin Adair are 2 of the co-founders of Texas Express and Jay Helfert ( Championship Billiard Productions ) is a long time promoter of pool from Los Angeles area.
We three were aksed to run the initial PCA/Million Dollar Challenge event and were only acting as directors and consultants to CJ Wiley and ( his ) PCA organization ( Professional Cuesports Association ).
CJ and I go back a long way as he was one of my original partners in Champs Billiards located in Dallas .. and I sold my interest to him and the other partners in 1993 .. and it has since been renamed "CJ'S Billiard Palace".
The insurance underwriter for the Million Dollar Challenge was SDS Insurance Underwriters .. who I believe is a national entity. SDS underwrites other sports entities, i.e., the basketball from the half-court for a million .. the football throw .. the hole in one in golf, etc.
You might investigate SDS and/or through your current insurance folks and they may be able to assist you in finding an underwriter who specializes in sports challenges.
As I remember, the premium paid ( $ ) in 1996 era was approximately $3,500.00 +- for the aforementioned event.
Good Luck ..
John McChesney
www.texasexpress.com
Chairm/CEO
Texas Express