Why tournament blue?

289FIA

ERA is the best replicar as far as I am concerned. I would have liked to have gotten a hold of one of their GT40 bodies. Did they quit the GT40 line or just the complete cars?? I think I saw that place in Poland on the interweb you speak of. Were they not building complete cars in Poland??
Kirkham only made the SS bodies and ss components in Poland .. some SS frames for special orders. But the cars were built and finished at Kirkham Motorsports. They started with a high tech specialty machine shop .. did repairs on a broad range of unique items. They came across the Polish Mig Factory when a collector brought in a Mig Fighter for some work (not your every day body shop!!) .. and they were impressed by the build quality . . saw the name of the factory and contacted them. They had been considering marketing a line of glass bodied replicas .. but the potential of doing an aluminum one was too great to pass up. Timing was perfect .. the wall came down, communism was out in the Eastern Bloc countries .. and the factory had nothing to build .. no more fighters. So the Kirkhams walked into an unbelievable situation. In their own right they are master mechanics .. and now they had a high tech cad cam machine shop at their disposal.

Back about 15 years ago a guy came into their shop and said "I want you to build me an aluminum bodied Brock Coupe". They said .. "we don't build a Brock Coupe .. only 289 and 427 cobra replicas". He replied " you aren't listening to me .. I said I want you to build one for me .. just give me your terms". They evaluated for a week "we need to engineer all of the components, need to build fabricating jigs, need to do component testing, and need to build an initial prototype to test .. then we need to make modifications as indicated .. and build the actual car. It represents a huge number of engineering hours as well as the build. We cannot do it for less than $1.0 million dollars". The buyer cut them a check for 50% and they built an incredible Brock Coupe .. aluminum 427 motor. Guys are artists.

ERA stopped producing the GT 40 .. too expensive with limited demand .. and focused on their 289 and 427 cobra replicas. Build something like one a week.

289FIA

My 9' diamond pro had blue on it since it was set up back in 13. When it was time to recover recently I decided on green. Just tired of looking at the blue. I have no regrets. Variety is the spice of life.
I like the green a lot .. plenty bright with proper lighting .. no shadows. To me it looks elegant and .. right.

Attachments

• Table, light bos, escutcheon.jpg
    Table, light bos, escutcheon.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 65

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the green a lot .. plenty bright with proper lighting .. no shadows. To me it looks elegant and .. right.
I wish Simonis came out with another green color - brighter than the Simonis green but not quite as bright as the apple green - close to the color they use for their top of the line Strachan snooker cloth.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Throwing this out there. Looking at this visual, it would seem crazy for Snooker to use any other color. Something about it gives me the vibe that snooker is a game that would be played in an ornate study with shelves of leather bound books at a private club.

1616438758526.png

And it contrasts well to the blue with pool. Which in turn gives me more of an X-Games kind of feel. More vibrant visuals. Aggressive play. Dunk contest.

1616439064868.png

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking at cloth the other day and saw championship doesn't have tournament blue. I guess it's a Simonis color. What is the championship equivalent?