Will Cleaning Simonis Cloth With a Wet Cloth Permanently Make It Slower?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy, who also has run a pool room for a very long time says that if you wipe down Simonis cloth with a wet towel to clean and bring back the color to it, it will permanently slow it down, unless you iron the cloth after it dries.

He says if you iron it after it appears dry, it will maintain the same speed, but if you let it dry without ironing it, it will play slower. Any thoughts on this by anyone who knows?

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
no just fine to wipe with a damp cold cloth. not soaking wet.
its been done that way for decades and works fine.

now i mostly just put the rhoomba vacuum on the table for a bit and it does a great job.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, slightly damp-not wet will get the chalk off and make the cloth play perfect.

Idk what wet would do, can’t be smart or a good idea.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you put a towel over it, ironing isnt a great idea either. And the higher the Nylon content, the worse idea it is. What happens to Nylon fibers when you run a hot iron over it? What is Simonis 860? 10% nylon?

Not thinking, I tried it with a 30% nylon cloth. One swipe and I knew I frocked up! If you keep the temp low you might get away with it. But I'll never do it again!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
no just fine to wipe with a damp cold cloth. not soaking wet.
its been done that way for decades and works fine.

now i mostly just put the rhoomba vacuum on the table for a bit and it does a great job.
Hey maha! What would happen if your towel was soaking wet. Would the cloth not dry correctly? I'm curious. Thanks!

PracticeChampion

Hey maha! What would happen if your towel was soaking wet. Would the cloth not dry correctly? I'm curious. Thanks!
I've never done that but just recently my son took a shower, got dressed and then changed his shirt and threw his semi wet shirt on top the table. He didn't realize it was wet and I didn't catch it for hours, and now I have a permanent water stain the size of a football.

Guess my point is unless you wet it down even then you'll have stains

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I've never done that but just recently my son took a shower, got dressed and then changed his shirt and threw his semi wet shirt on top the table. He didn't realize it was wet and I didn't catch it for hours, and now I have a permanent water stain the size of a football.

True - BIL's roof leaked/dripped a bit onto his table. Stains. I do however use a damp cloth and vacuuming the table to remove chalk. Have not noticed any slower play. It's not like a damp cloth has enough moisture to "soak in".

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It wasn't simonis cloth, but we had the roof leak at our local American Legion. Guess what it leaked on?

Half the table was soaking wet. So when I got there, I soaked up as much as I could, used freshwater to re-wet the cloth to remove most of the stains. Then i dampened the rest of it so it would dry evenly. There was a stain on it. It took a little while, but you can't see it anymore.

Last edited:

PracticeChampion

It wasn't simonis cloth, but we had the roof leak at our local American Legion. Guess what it leaked on?

Half the table was soaking wet. So when I got there, I soaked up as much as I could, used freshwater to re-wet the cloth to remove most of the stains. Then i dampened the rest of it so it would dry evenly. There was a stain on it. It took a little while, but you can't see it anymore.
I didn't rewet anything other than a complete wipe down with a damp clothe just cleaning but I think it's actually a little better

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't rewet anything other than a complete wipe down with a damp clothe just cleaning but I think it's actually a little better
It was still soaking wet, so I had nothing to lose. I could have used a squeegee to remove water off of it . I re-wet it out of necessity. Water leaking through the roof is dirty and nasty. I had to do it to try to soak it out. Only a stain ring remained. The annoying part was the part that I soaked and cleaned looked better than the rest of the cloth when I was done.

Last edited:

PracticeChampion

It was still soaking wet, so I had nothing to lose. I could have used a squeegee to remove water off of it . I re-wet it out of necessity. Water leaking through the roof is dirty and nasty. I had to do it to try to soak it out. Only a stain ring remained. The annoying part was the part that I soaked and cleaned looked better than the rest of the cloth when I was done.
Yeah in your case there was nothing to lose, glad it worked out

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried using Woolite on it?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried using Woolite on it?
Didn't have any at the time. Our team showed up to practice on a Saturday about noon, and had a shock. We did what we could as quickly as we could.

We ended up moving the whole table and the light to a different part of the room.

Last edited:

PracticeChampion

The clothe I replaced was absolutely filthy and wasn't simonis, I really wanted to throw it in the washer and reinstall just to see what happened but I'm way to lazy to cover a table twice just for an experiment lol

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wet will definitely slow it down. Watched a dumbass at a new room use a sopping wet mop to clean brand new Diamond tables. None of them played the same ever again.
DUH. Only a braindead j-off would soak one down. A lightly damp microfiber and a little Woolite works fine.

PracticeChampion

At my local tournament they use Windex, no ideal the good or bad of it but that clothe is absolutely beat and is only 5-6 months old. Maybe they get more play than I think