Willard Retipping Machine

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
srober40 said:
Tracy,

Can you tell me more about the small lathe? How does the shaft fit in? Does it go through the center on the left hand side while being held in place with collets? (I am not a experienced with lathes so please forgive my lack of knowledge)

Thanks,

Scott
Yes you feed the shaft through the spindle tip first. After it is in the spindle I slip a collet on, so the chuck wont damage the wood. The clloet is to big to go through the spindle. There is a lot of shaft protruding out the back of the spindle. You need to keep this back half of the shaft from wobbling. I made an outboard steady rest out of 3 old inline skate wheels, it works real well. If you get one, mini-lathe.com has a lot of good information on the setup, operation and maintenance of them.

Tracy

srober40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
Yes you feed the shaft through the spindle tip first. After it is in the spindle I slip a collet on, so the chuck wont damage the wood. The clloet is to big to go through the spindle. There is a lot of shaft protruding out the back of the spindle. You need to keep this back half of the shaft from wobbling. I made an outboard steady rest out of 3 old inline skate wheels, it works real well. If you get one, mini-lathe.com has a lot of good information on the setup, operation and maintenance of them.

Tracy

Thank You. I think I should get a book on lathes first. The concept doesn't seem too difficult, but I am sure it is a different story once the machine is running.

Regards,

Scott

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:

Tracy

RSB-refugee:

Can you please provide a photo of your "outboard steady rest".

I haven't any machine shop skills; I do minor gunsmithing manually. As to the protective collet that you slip around the shaft, what material is it made of? Is the collet an accessory to the lathe or did you fashion it yourself?

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Usually the collets are made of Delrin or Nylon, or some other plastic.
I think Mr. Hightower sells a set of them for different sizes, you could check with him.

Chazzy151

Registered
I have had the Williards for about 15 yrs. now, I have put hundreds of tips on my cues & friends. I soon realized it was a great investment ! Price sure has went up (I paid about $295.00 15 yrs. ago) Nothing has wore out, except for blades of course. I've never had a single problem, it's a great little tool IMHO.