Woodworth Cues - Results of an afternoon's photo shoot!

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
First, some background... (or you can skip the BS and go straight to the link at the end :) )

Sometime between past Thanksgiving and Christmas I was playing in a local tournament not far from my house and noticed a new player in the field. He pretty much dispatched everyone he played off to the loser's bracket in seemingly routine fashion, quite a strong player compared to the usual lot that plays in that tournament. And to be fair, there are some A- and B+ players who play in this small weekly tourney. It's not a push-over tournament. We split the pot that night, but he was in the hot-seat and I would have had to beat him twice...

Being that I'm a bit of a cue-oogler and appreciate fine craftsmanship, I couldn't help but notice his very nice looking, but somewhat understated pool cue. It had four long, sharp spiced points with nice veneers, tastefully coordinated Irish linen wrap, and the heavily figured wood selection was very choice (such that it was a prime focal point of the cue itself). He seemed approachable enough, so during the lull between matches I introduced myself and struck up conversation to ask him about it. He introduced himself as "Woody" Woodsworth from Tennessee, was very friendly, and proceeded to tell me somewhat casually that he had made the cue himself. And upon letting me hit a few balls with with his cue, I immediately knew I had to have one of my own.

A couple of meetings and discussions later and I did finally get my own Woody cue which I am extremely happy with... (see thread here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5044705#post5044705).

Well, during my viewing of Woody's inventory and general conversations as we got to know each other a bit, at some point we discussed photography, which is one of my other passions. After seeing some of my photo work Woody asked if I would make new photos of his cues for his website. I was happy to oblige.

This is more about showing off these wonderfully crafted and hitting cues, rather than trying to sell them... But, since these photos are on the Woodworthcues.com website and they are all for sale, I was not sure whether "cue gallery" or "for sale" forums are more appropriate in this case. Either way, I will fully understand if the mods want to move this thread...

Understand that I am more of a landscape, abstract and sports shooter.... not so much into product photography. And under ideal conditions I would have been using large soft lighting setup with omni-directional lighting to soften and distribute the lighting and reduce glare, blah, blah, blah... But, for using my old Nikon D90 with Metz flash and plastic diffuser, I must say that I was generally pleased with the overall results, as was Woody. We were able to extract plenty of details, and with more cropping of the originals, could extract even more.

Without further ado... Here is the direct link to the majority of the cue pics from that session: http://woodworthcues.com/catalogue/

Enjoy,

JT