Would a dash of hooliganism improve the game of snooker?

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, no it wouldn't. You do need scally type characters in the game like Higgins then White then O'Sullivan. When Ronnie retires there needs to be another that comes through the ranks that doesn't give a monkeys. At the minute there isn't anyone I can think of. These types of players are what get bums on seats and people tuning in. Ronnie for example packed out a theatre yesterday because not only do the people want to see pure brilliance om the table, but there is an atmosphere around Ronnie almost like you don't quite know what he will do next off the table.that uncertainty adds to the excitement of the show, and that's what it is with him. A show. Not a match.

The shot clock needs to come in sooner rather than later. Not only would it help with scheduling on tv it makes it more exciting to watch. 30 second shot clock shouldn't be a problem for the top players when they're in the swing of things. But it will see to some rash decisions by some and make for exciting viewing.

If anyone saw the frame yesterday when Ronnie fluked the yellow to make the century that equaled Stephen Hendry's record...the crowd went mental, the commentators went mental and I, of course, went mental. Snooker needs a bit more of that. Other than that snooker isn't in trouble.

TheThaiger

Banned
No, no it wouldn't. You do need scally type characters in the game like Higgins then White then O'Sullivan. When Ronnie retires there needs to be another that comes through the ranks that doesn't give a monkeys. At the minute there isn't anyone I can think of. These types of players are what get bums on seats and people tuning in. Ronnie for example packed out a theatre yesterday because not only do the people want to see pure brilliance om the table, but there is an atmosphere around Ronnie almost like you don't quite know what he will do next off the table.that uncertainty adds to the excitement of the show, and that's what it is with him. A show. Not a match.

The shot clock needs to come in sooner rather than later. Not only would it help with scheduling on tv it makes it more exciting to watch. 30 second shot clock shouldn't be a problem for the top players when they're in the swing of things. But it will see to some rash decisions by some and make for exciting viewing.

If anyone saw the frame yesterday when Ronnie fluked the yellow to make the century that equaled Stephen Hendry's record...the crowd went mental, the commentators went mental and I, of course, went mental. Snooker needs a bit more of that. Other than that snooker isn't in trouble.

I'm not convinced snooker needs a stopclock to be honest. I think refs could do more to remind the grinders to get on with it, esp Robertson and Selby. But a stopclock could change the flow if game, which is generally pretty good imo

rramsey0011

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love watching snooker, and the players don't have to be in top form for me to enjoy it. In the O'Sullivan/Trump match neither player was playing their best but with long pot successes above 90% and the incredible comeback by Trump, it was highly entertaining. There are some matches though that there is something else that is needed. I just wonder what happens to the fans from the Mosconi Cup? They would make things more entertaining.:thumbup: