Would like some feedback on Josey cues, please

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings all. For those who have experience with Josey cues, I'd like some feedback before I order one. He seems to have a great reputation and lead time and prices seem very reasonable. Would you say his cue butt diameter is on the thick, medium or slender side? His standard tip is the Triangle, which is a hard tip so standard hit should be firm as well, but have you ordered his cues with a softer tip? Any extra opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings all. For those who have experience with Josey cues, I'd like some feedback before I order one. He seems to have a great reputation and lead time and prices seem very reasonable. Would you say his cue butt diameter is on the thick, medium or slender side? His standard tip is the Triangle, which is a hard tip so standard hit should be firm as well, but have you ordered his cues with a softer tip? Any extra opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I won a KJ sneaky in a raffle once. That cue had a pretty thick butt-end. Played great but i sold it 'cause it was too thick for me. He'll make it any way you want. Super guy to deal with from what i hear.

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They’re great to work with and make a great cue. If you’re custom ordering why don’t you just specify the butt diameter you want. As for tip, mine has a Triangle but he has a variety of tips to choose from. I don’t think there’s any way to say how a cue will hit with a particular tip until you marry them up. I doubt you’ll be disappointed if you get a Josey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonoman

I had Keith make a cue out of a Schmelke black wood veneered blank back in 2009. It been my player ever since. I did specify my butt dimensions and Keith was spot on. Keiths cues have a "solid hit" I love his shaft taper and the quality of his work is as good as any I have seen. He and Sherri, his wife, are good to work with. You can trust them to deliver what you want.

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top cuemaker, hits very nice, make sure you get Timeless Timber shaft or Java shaft instead of regular shaft.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won a KJ sneaky in a raffle once. That cue had a pretty thick butt-end. Played great but i sold it 'cause it was too thick for me. He'll make it any way you want. Super guy to deal with from what i hear.
I've been in contact with Josey cues and you are correct, they make a very thick butt cue. My Pechauer Pro series is a 1.245 " diameter butt. Their JP series, which I used to play but thought the butt was a little thick, is 1.265. Their sneaky pete Pro h series is 1.270. Keith Josey makes a 1.28. I've played other cues like McDermott and a larger butt isn't that unusual, but it's too big for my personal taste. I'm waiting to hear back if they can make a cue to my specs. Sherry seemed to think 1.245 is really slender.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an order in for a bocote merry widow. You are correct, I asked about butt diameter and his are on the large end of the scale. He'll make the butt pretty much the same diameter as my favorite Pechauer Pro series though, and I should have it in 6-9 months. Hope I love it as much as a lot of other Josey fans.

Dinko2222

Registered
I love the sound of the hitting with KJ cue. Timeless timber shaft works pretty well for me and I would suggest anyone to try his cues.
Give yourself a time to get use to it and then you’ll be able to make any shot that you imagine.
I use Thoroughbred Hard tip and Precision by D. Searing works very nice also..

BreakEm187

I have a Josey Ebony Merry Widow, I’ve also had a Lomax, Lucasi and McDermott. The Josey is by far my favorite cue next to the Lomax.. I shoot with a Revo shaft and the main thing that’s sticks out the most is how well balanced the cue is from tip to butt… It does have a stiff hit especially paired with the CF shaft, the cues total weight is 15.2 in the butt and 4.2 in the shaft so it’s right at 19.4 but it really doesn’t feel like it’s that heavy for some reason bc of the way it’s balanced. The craftsmanship is 2nd to none the cue is beautiful to say the least. I’ve played with a few of his cues and I’ve noticed he usually makes his butts on the fatter side however mine is more on the slimmer side. To say the least I’m a fan and will definitely build another custom with him in the future. You can’t go wrong. Now after 3 months of owning it I’m editing my initial review. I thought it was 10/10 before but after getting accustomed to it it’s 20/20.. Josey cues naturally hit stiff however with a Revo shaft the deflection of this cue I zero.. It feels incredibly good in the hand even though I don’t know the actual butt diameter is on mine but I wouldn’t change anything. This cue hits very firm and true, aim and shoot has worked wonderfully well for me. It’s the best cue money can buy in my humble opinion

Last edited:

EasyMoneyIzzy

I just got a Josey and bought a Java shaft and I like it a lot this cue plays phenomenal.

Attachments

• IMG_7376.jpeg
    IMG_7376.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7353.jpeg
    IMG_7353.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7164.jpeg
    IMG_7164.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7163.jpeg
    IMG_7163.jpeg