Would you call a foul on yourself?

Would you call a foul on yourself?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

tomatoshooter

I actually don’t believe either of you.

If you inadvertently ran a stop sign and hit a child, I’m willing to bet that you’d be on the phone to 911 almost before the car came to a complete stop…
That kid came out of nowhere, and I was already on the phone.

tomatoshooter

If you ask your opponent to watch for a foul does this free you from calling your foul?

If it's a more experienced player, I'd be more inclined to let his call stand. If it's a less experienced player who may be unable to see which ball the cue ball hit first and doesn't understand how to spot a foul by the directions the balls move, I'd be more inclined to call a foul. I typically will tell a player what to look for brie the shot.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
what do all the other sports do. does a football player tell the ref he stepped over the line or the quarterback say he made a bad pass and point it out.
does the tennis pro correct the linesman and tell him the shot was out.
does a basketball player call a penalty on himself.
Different mentality, different (team) competition.
golfers do as the tv is on them and they make most from endorsements so they cant jeopardize that.
They worry about integrity, as a true sport does. Integrity matters to me playing pool, so I call fouls on myself.
if playing pool and your opponent doesnt bother to pay attention are you suppose to do it for him.
is it considered cheating not to call one on yourself. that is the main thought.
So you should shoot when they're distracted, and all's fair? What about moving a ball with your hand? If they don't see it, it didn't happen? I wouldn't go so far as to call it cheating, unless your opponent calls it, and you deny the foul. THEN, you're a total douchebag, not just a poor sport.
if you are on two fouls do you remind your opponent to tell you. and if he forgets do you call the third one on yourself.
what if the opponent doesnt call a ball frozen. do you point it out or play the shot your way.
where do you draw your personal line.
Right about there. (Three foul scenario) Since it's entirely up to them for that, it's on them to call it. I will and do check for frozen balls if I'm shooting one that's close if I notice it and will alert my opponent either way. Saves them having to jump up every time something is questionable. I prefer my opponents to have some level of trust and respect for me and for the game, and give that at all times until proven wrong.
[/QUOTE]

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
If you ask your opponent to watch for a foul does this free you from calling your foul?
Nope. If I feel like I fouled I will say so. If I feel I didn't I will also say so. If I can't tell, I will take their word for whatever they call.
Ultimately, it's up to the shooter when there's no ref. So calling your opponent over doesn't really work too well. If you call over a neutral party, then you treat them like a ref and accept the call they make. I generally only do this if I'm playing someone who either doesn't know when they are about to double hit something, or someone who wants to win so badly, they will see it however they think they should. The brain is a tricky thing, and we have probably all seen things and had our brains show us something slightly different.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So… it’s obvious calling the foul is the proper etiquette. It’s honorable. It’s part of the game. Especially with your circle of pool buddies. As for calling fouls in other areas…cheating on spouse/partner/taxes/…. Use your judgement.

Caseyj9779

Who is he?
Some of the players at CSI or Fargo events I have to go to 7 and they have to go to 2. I gotta spot em 5 games, call fouls on myself, hell I might as well get up there and tell them what shot to take. I believe in integrity and all but at some point people need to take responsibility for figuring out the game and playing it the right way.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To begin I wish to state that I would and do call fouls on myself. For me, it's the right thing to do and I would hope that my opponent would do the same. Whether they do or not is on them. That said I will also suggest that I or anyone who chooses to call a foul on themselves also accepts that the opponent has the option to accept or decline the foul.
Why?
Let's assume two players are involved in a One Pocket game and player one has his game ball hanging in his pocket. Player two is locked up on another ball which is lined up towards his opponent's pocket. Player two shoots directly into the obstructing ball and pockets his opponent's game ball while fouling the cue ball with a double hit. He calls a foul on himself. Should this opponent be obligated to accept the foul?
Now before someone posts the tournament rule about flagrant fouls please keep in mind that that rule is primarily used when a ref. is present. One on one competition may produce a heated argument in this case.
The solution is simple. The incoming player has the option to decline the called foul.

Tom

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That said I will also suggest that I or anyone who chooses to call a foul on themselves also accepts that the opponent has the option to accept or decline the foul.

The solution is simple. The incoming player has the option to decline the called foul.

Tom
Very interesting. Thanks

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve called a fake foul on my opponent to get him rattled. I had one customer in the 80’s this always worked on. Nothing to be proud of, I was broke and did what I had to do. He spotted me the 7 playing 9B.

It wasn’t big $ pool, just $50-$100/set pool. He couldn’t make a ball after that move. Solid player too. I figured it out by accident once. I wrongfully called a foul-he went off the rails and I won. He never knew the move, it lasted 2 years until I moved to vegas.

Finding a way to win,
Fatboy 😂

I was playing a tournament for the first time in a new area and one of the players accused me of marking two games when I won one. It was not true. It was alternate breaks and he was insistent the score was 1-1 and it was actually 2-1 me. Because of alternate breaks I knew based on the breaks it had to be an odd score. He won coin toss and broke. I won. Then I B&R. Then he breaks and wins and goes to mark his score and claims it was second game we played and should be 1-1 him. I pointed out he won the coin toss and just broke his second time and that I had broke so we HAD to have played 3 games.

I tried to explain it and he flat out accused me of cheating. TD takes his side because it's my first time there.

I was so pissed I just slammed at balls the rest of the match and lost 5-4 and then lost my second quickly after that.

I realized it was a move once I got home and I fell right into it. He knew he had no chance to beat me otherwise.

Played him a couple of weeks later and made sure to check with him every single time I marked a game. It wasn't hard to keep track in that one because I beat him 5-0. Man was he pissed. :). You should have seen the look on his face when I was like "3-0 now right? 4-0 now right?" lol.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as the thread topic goes. I call fouls on myself every time I know I fouled. For some reason I've been double-hitting the CB once in a while lately. Usually a miscue trying to hit maximum topspin and I can feel it but my opponents would almost never call it. I do though.

Then a couple of weeks ago I was playing and called a foul on myself when it wasn't even a foul! My opponent said "That wasn't a foul, you hit a rail." But I had already picked up the CB to hand to him. As I replayed the shot in my mind I realized that he was correct. Doh.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a tournament for the first time in a new area and one of the players accused me of marking two games when I won one. It was not true. It was alternate breaks and he was insistent the score was 1-1 and it was actually 2-1 me. Because of alternate breaks I knew based on the breaks it had to be an odd score. He won coin toss and broke. I won. Then I B&R. Then he breaks and wins and goes to mark his score and claims it was second game we played and should be 1-1 him. I pointed out he won the coin toss and just broke his second time and that I had broke so we HAD to have played 3 games.

I tried to explain it and he flat out accused me of cheating. TD takes his side because it's my first time there.

I was so pissed I just slammed at balls the rest of the match and lost 5-4 and then lost my second quickly after that.

I realized it was a move once I got home and I fell right into it. He knew he had no chance to beat me otherwise.

Played him a couple of weeks later and made sure to check with him every single time I marked a game. It wasn't hard to keep track in that one because I beat him 5-0. Man was he pissed. :). You should have seen the look on his face when I was like "3-0 now right? 4-0 now right?" lol.
Great story. He couldn’t stand it the 2nd time out. 💪

Mine was an accident-honest accident I called “no rail” and for a while held my ground. Guy I’m playing went nuclear. Finally I realized I was wrong and didn’t charge him a foul. But he was finished-couldn’t play. I won from that point easily.

Next week we are playing and I remembered that. So I called a close hit a foul, same thing-he fell apart. I knew I was on to something.

Next time we played I didn’t pull that move. Don’t remember how we came out.

After that I knew when ever I was behind or couldn’t afford to loose(there was more action than time to play it all back then) I could always use that trick on him. So I did a few more times-it always worked. Sometimes I’d just beat him(getting the 7)and not need any tricks. we played a zillion times.

I never did slide 2 beads in him, lol-that probably would have worked well also. 😂

Doesn’t make what I did right, of all the guys I’ve played over the years. This is one of the few angle shoots I ever pulled(I can’t recall any others actually-mist be 1 or 2 I forgot about) I always played on the square. This being an exception. And the thing is I actually liked the guy-it was just too easy.

I’ve never moved a ball, or stole a ball playing 1P. I call fouls on myself (and others in this case😂). I have got guys drunk to win-is that bad?

I miss the action days where you could play 3-4-5 guys a day. The dynamic of playing different matches at different prices in different rooms on the same day was cool. I like that.

Fatboy 😃

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as the thread topic goes. I call fouls on myself every time I know I fouled. For some reason I've been double-hitting the CB once in a while lately. Usually a miscue trying to hit maximum topspin and I can feel it but my opponents would almost never call it. I do though.

Then a couple of weeks ago I was playing and called a foul on myself when it wasn't even a foul! My opponent said "That wasn't a foul, you hit a rail." But I had already picked up the CB to hand to him. As I replayed the shot in my mind I realized that he was correct. Doh.
Funny you mention that.

I’ve had streaks of double hitting the CB myself. Funny how that works. I always call it. Easy to feel.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't read . . . This may have been said already . . . We call fouls on ourselves for our own benefit. We do not do it for our opponents although they benefit, too.
My reputation is worth a ton more than one foul in a game.

Especially now that I’ve been around forever and am deeply ingrained in pool.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I call fouls on myself.
And if a competitor calls a foul on himself-- as long as it didn't really effect the game-- I say "no worries" and let them continue.
I don't get satisfaction out of winning via some ticky-tack touch.

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Every time. And it sucks when it happens. I respect the game too much not to, and am very competitive, but wouldn’t feel comfortable if I won after not calling on myself if my opponent didn’t see it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on the circumstance I have had a few guys who I’ve played social pool with $10-$20 1P where we would call a foul on ourselves but the foul wasn’t charged. Just let it go as it was between friends and super small $. However we were always honest about the foul. That’s the main thing.