Wrong Ball

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I read somewhere today that this happened to Chris Melling once. He picked the cue ball up and gave his opponent BIH. This was Chris being honest (he could have played the correct ball as if nothing had happened) as he knew 100% that he would have played the wrong ball if the spectator hadn't interfered. This is not quite the same however as being told by your opponent that you are about to play the wrong ball.
I read that on facebook too. That is sportsmanship! Chris absolutely did the right thing. Although this could be dependent on the situation, and whether or not he really was about to hit the wrong ball. And like Bob said, eject the SOB that shouted it out.

If you're playing funzies or league or cheap sets with your pal, go ahead and warn them about shooting the wrong ball. But at the level Shane and Joey were playing at? NOPE

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats not likely Chris, most on the support team and spectators were thinking it was the correct ball due to playing the game our entire lives with the ball colors being the same;)

Cuebuddy>>>Bring back the 🍊
Then the bookies would take care of him in a commensurate manner.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Shane was the one shooting the wrong ball, and Joey Tate was the one in the chair, the American pool world would be screaming "WhY dIdN'T jOeY tAtE sAy SoMeThInG???"
No we wouldn’t. It’s the us open. It’s big boy pool. I wouldn’t tell someone at my local pool league. I sure as hell wouldn’t tell someone in the us open with 50k on the line.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post from Shane makes things worse imo and shows his true colors. If he would have said it's not my responsibility to correct him, I could understand that. But when he talks about the points and the money it shows that he made a cold intentional decision that has nothing to do with the rules. He has lost my respect for sure.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Nyquil

I bought a set of these balls and don't ever use them. I can't get used to the colors. When playing 8 ball the black stripes throw me off sometimes depending on how the ball is sitting along with obvious 5 ball issue. They should just use a dynasphere bronze set with a Blak cue ball and call it a day. That's what I have done.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Understood, but I’m still curious what the ruling would have been if he had stopped shooting at that moment and realized his error? Ball-in-hand for opponent, a warning or ejection to the spectator in question, a warning to the player or all of the above?

If he had stopped shooting at the moment the spectator had warned him, he could just simply claim to the referee that he was feeling out / preparing where he needed to get shape to for his next shot.
So now being a liar on top of it is ok?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No we wouldn’t. It’s the us open. It’s big boy pool. I wouldn’t tell someone at my local pool league. I sure as hell wouldn’t tell someone in the us open with 50k on the line.
Pretty sure he said that in jest.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post from Shane makes things worse imo and shows his true colors. If he would have said it's not my responsibility to correct him, I could understand that. But when he talks about the points and the money it shows that he made a cold intentional decision that has nothing to do with the rules. He has lost my respect for sure.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
As I recall, you never liked him anyway.

What is Shane supposed to do? Get up and chalk his cue for him? Rub his sack for encouragement?

We need to hold ourselves accountable for our actions.... not once again blaming someone else for them. I'm sure Joey would tell you straight up Shane did nothing wrong or unsportsmanlike.

Last edited:

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Tmr, I’m tired tonight. Long day. But I’m am outraged anyways.

I just watched the match

I hope that kid can come back from that, most likely he will.

Those balls are trash. There’s the proof. Sad.

🧡🧡🧡
Looks like he is doing ok:

FB_IMG_1665571794184.jpg

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I would 100% have told him that he was shooting the wrong ball, but I also don’t think it was Shane’s responsibility to do so. I don’t think SVB covered himself in glory standing up and practically Shane Van Bouncing to the table, but he was under a lot of pressure at the time.
As a general rule I do feel like the big difference between snooker and pool players is, that pool players have a win at all costs mentality (no I am not implying by cheating as such), what I am saying is that pool players will use tactics such as slowing their opponent down, taking breaks at inopportune moments, physically/verbally intimidating opponents (I have had two so called pro level players do this to me during tournaments), etc. that are not skills on the table. I don’t know any snooker players that would try and win by using any tactic other than play on the table.
When I was competing as a junior snooker player many moons ago, we had a 15/30 minutes etiquette lesson before each junior tournament. It‘s a shame that pool players didn’t have similar schooling.

I do realize that they are very different scenarios, but I do feel that they are born from the same mentality.

Last edited: