WTB small lathe

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
machinery

alpine9430 said:
My requirements would put into a different area from this thread but saw your response and I thought I would get your inputs. I would be interested in something a bit more stable so the weight should not be an issue.
Right now looking to do research and hope to get my questions resolved at Valley Forge so I can make a purchase sometime next spring.
Thanks for your valuable input!
Alpine, come by my booth #2 at the upper level, at the super-billiards expo, and check my machines out and visit a while.
Leonard Bludworth

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
blud said:
Alpine, come by my booth #2 at the upper level, at the super-billiards expo, and check my machines out and visit a while.
Leonard Bludworth
Absolutely...
Saw you there last year and wasn't table 2 the same location you had last year?

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
booth 2`

alpine9430 said:
Absolutely...
Saw you there last year and wasn't table 2 the same location you had last year?
Booth 2, just inside the entrance door on the left, up stairs. Hopkins has booth 1 for taking tickets.
blud

F

Fred Agnir

blud said:
Leonard Bludworth

Blud, maybe someone asked this previously, but... do you have any plans on building a small lathe that someone would use primarily to do tips and ferrules, maybe wraps, but nothing else?

There's a market, with only a few offerings.

Fred

F

Fred Agnir

blud said:
ITEM 2.- FASTER!
Bet all you want on this one also.
We both take 3 shafts each or more, or less, with dents or without, both needing the same type work, re-tip, remove dents, clean and polish.
Faster, we can really bet high on this one.

Fast is not always best, but if you do quaility on site pro-repairs, and it's fast, done right, that's ok......

Tough not to go with Blud on this one. How you trim that tip freehand with a razor knife is just spooky. Does anyone else do it like that (other than Iron Chef Sakai)?

Fred

weinstockcues

weinstock cues
I use a logan lathe , but in my research I have found that the unique products lathe is the best machine for the money out their [BAR NONE] good luck and make sure the chuck zero's out with a dial indicator

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fred Agnir said:
Blud, maybe someone asked this previously, but... do you have any plans on building a small lathe that someone would use primarily to do tips and ferrules, maybe wraps, but nothing else?
Fred,
Blud brought it up a good while ago, but unfortunately was distracted by Janice's being ill. When he first mentioned it, it sounded like he was planning on making a heavy-duty repair lathe. Here is a link to a THREAD in which, I asked about it.
Fred Agnir said:
There's a market, with only a few offerings.

I agree. I think he could do well, by manufacturing such a machine.

Tracy

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lathe

RSB-Refugee said:
Fred,
Blud brought it up a good while ago, but unfortunately was distracted by Janice's being ill. When he first mentioned it, it sounded like he was planning on making a heavy-duty repair lathe. Here is a link to a THREAD in which, I asked about it.

I agree. I think he could do well, by manufacturing such a machine.

Tracy
Tracy,I will do good with a new lathe. Just got no time. Janice is still hanging on, and I must take care of her first. Got a lot of help now, with Donald. I will be getting back on it soon. It's designed, but have not time to machine the thing. I'll do my best, and keep you guys posted..
blud

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
blud said:
Booth 2, just inside the entrance door on the left, up stairs. Hopkins has booth 1 for taking tickets.
blud
I do think I remember the booth.
Last year you were in the process of cleaning up a shaft when a woman asked about what was it that you put on your cloth.
Your reply was something of your own personal elixir (urine - LOL) and you had the crowd going.
Will stop by to talk, observe and learn...

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
blud said:
Tracy,I will do good with a new lathe. Just got no time. Janice is still hanging on, and I must take care of her first. Got a lot of help now, with Donald. I will be getting back on it soon. It's designed, but have not time to machine the thing. I'll do my best, and keep you guys posted..
blud
I think this the type of set up I am also after. Not looking to build cues but looking to do maintenance.
So I would be interested in finding out more as well and I am in no immediate need.
Hope all goes well and may God Bless You and Your Family...

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fred Agnir said:
Tough not to go with Blud on this one. How you trim that tip freehand with a razor knife is just spooky. Does anyone else do it like that (other than Iron Chef Sakai)?

Fred
I used to do it just like Blud does it as I learned a lot from watching him at tournaments in Georgia in the 80's. I now cut about halfway down on the tip with the cross-sldie lathe tool. THen I use the utility knife to trim off the rest.
Chris

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
free hand

Fred Agnir said:

Fred
Hi Fred, not sure, but I'll bet a ton doing it, with any of them.. love working on cues and making people happy when done.
Stop by next time and we can visit for a while. I can still after all these years, remove a tip, install a new one, clean the shaft, polish it, and shape the tip in less than 2 minutes..BET WHATEVER. And it's done first class, right Fred. For the rest of you guys, come by and sweat the action.
blud

Last edited:

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy dedicated machine.

Shorty,
I have a 10 by 36 Atlas lathe that I found real cheap, only $150. By the time I had it set up to do only tips, I spent more than the Travel Tipper! I'm almost in as deep as a Cuesmith or Unique, without the ability do do a lot of things they do. I regret not springing for a lathe designed and equipped for doing cues. I think by the time you are done, it is definitely less expensive. I was penny wise and pound foolish, get the right tool for the job.
Good luck,
EdR

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those of you looking, just thought I pass this on. Saw a few portable setups on ebay right now. Just type in cue lathe, check the search title & descriptions box, and they should come up. There was one homemade setup using a small taig metal lathe on there for 400, a hightower midsize going for 1000 at the time I saw it,and another one, think It was one of the cue companion types. Just thought someone looking might would like to know.

Greg