How well does Ken Shuman play?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thank you for your service!

My father taught Communication (Speech) and English Composition from 1974 at GCC until he retired ~2007.

Freddie <~~~ proud of my great little hometown

I had no idear that English was taught in that part of the world. :confused:

duker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken Shuman

First of all...The Northeast part of the country had probably the best Straight Pool players in the Country, I am from Pa...Second..when I started reading this thread, I had a pounding headache,..but after reading all of the threads my headache was gone, and had me laughing, and I want to Thank everyone for all of the fun entertainment..I am not sure how strong Ken plays...but I will say that he is a super guy and loves the game of Pool....Thank you Ken for your support of the game, and many more years to come..Duker

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Yeah, well... There's a lot of people here on AZ that think they can play just because they can make a wing ball using a magic rack and run out in 9 ball, so I'll take your comment with a grain of salt.

I saw Ken's commentary on a few USBTC 8 Ball matches, and I literally never saw him make a wrong call. I've seen lots of short stops get out the wrong way in bar box 8 ball, but Ken was calling the RIGHT sequences... High percentage, as little cue ball movement as possible, and he called non-intutive sequences correctly, because they offered more stop shot position that way, and less chance of error.

Granted, it was bar box 8 ball, but in my opinion, bar box 8 ball is a much better measurement of pool ability that the current magic rack 9 ball. I can play a liitle bar box 8 ball, and i was actually surprised how often Ken and I agreed on certain shots, considering some of them took a little bit of refined thinking.

Short Bus Russ

He may be a decent player, but you'd never know that by his commentary. He's at the bottom of the list with Jay.
Nobody can successfully predict every time what Efren is looking at, but if you're a player you should be able to watch Appleton or Shane and see they are weighing the options on a tough shot vrs a safe.
Viewers don't need to be told that the shooter is going to pocket a hanging one ball and stop the cue ball there for the two in the opposite pocket. Neither do they need to be told that 9 ball is played in numerical order. The replay on the break shot is another complete waste of time. It doesn't take too many foolish comments for the viewer to draw the conclusion that this commentator probably rides on the back of a garbage truck during the week.

s0lidz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Ken's commentary on a few USBTC 8 Ball matches, and I literally never saw him make a wrong call. I've seen lots of short stops get out the wrong way in bar box 8 ball, but Ken was calling the RIGHT sequences... High percentage, as little cue ball movement as possible, and he called non-intutive sequences correctly, because they offered more stop shot position that way, and less chance of error.
Short Bus Russ

Ken does a really good job describing the options that the player is facing, especially in bar box 8 ball. I for one appreciate his analysis.

Commentating is a tough gig because it draws a lot of critics. I myself am guilty of complaining about somebody's commentary at one point. Like any position in the public eye, it is impossible to please everybody. I hope that any commentators reading this take this into consideration, and not let it bother them. For every one critic, there is a hundred people who were completely satisfied and have no reason to leave feedback of any kind. So hopefully this will be encouraging to some of you commentators who read AZB.

Last edited:

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does Snooker have centuries and maximum breaks of 147? Because snooker fans had enough of watching Ken Shuman running millenniums.