How well does Ken Shuman play?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Ken Shuman vs Ronnie O'Sullivan Snooker records

Ken Shuman has compiled fifteen ratified competitive maximum breaks and Ronnie O is livid to this day.

JoeyA

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going to have to ask Ken what part of MA he is from, at this years U.S. Open.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Going to have to ask Ken what part of MA he is from, at this years U.S. Open.

I thought he told me Lynn, but I'm probably mis-remembering. {edit: Dorchester and West Newton}

Freddie <~~~ Greenfield, Ma

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken's a nice man. Don't know much about his play, but he is easy to be around & always eager to help out..

I don't really care for any of the announcers... they all seem to "upstage" the players, with their ideas about what the the player will be attempting to do. I do like the type of announcer that allows the player to be the show & then attempts to explain what happened & maybe why... JMHO

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boy it's been 10 days since the last post...

Just think -- Ken Shuman has had 10 more days to practice. That doesn't even seem fair.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched the match on youtube between Efren and Bobby Pickle. Anybody seen that? I hated Ken's commentary, I think he's gotten better since then.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Ken Shuman offered the rainbow crush to Efren for $100 a game....
....Efren asked to lower the price.

Last edited:

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken Shuman's microphone game is so strong, Pat Fleming created Accu-Stats just so he would have a forum to showcase his talents -- and to stop him from dominating players on the pool table.

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
What does being from Massachusetts have to do with pool know how? It's not like being from Kentucky and having a natural born knack for bank shots...or, being from the Philippines and having an inherent understanding of kick shots is it?

I hope you're half-kidding and don't really mean inherent. I'm sure you know it's all about environment. When it comes to general talent within a region, that is a fact. But I'm sure Freddie wasn't suggesting this. He's just a proud native who can appreciate the fact that somebody else is where he's from. It elevates Ken just a little bit more in his mind, not as a pool talent but as a person. It's a regional pride thing, nothing more. Makes complete sense to me.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Ken Shuman told Efren, "you can play one pocket, I'll play half-pocket."

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me add some clarity to this discussion and lend some some support to my man Freddie. For those who don't know, there's a lot of old-school pool knowledge in MA, as its part of the Northeast corridor that is still the bastion of straight pool. And if you understand straight pool you have the basis for all other games.

Don't sweat the naysayers, Freddie. They didn't go to UMASS, so they just don't know. Minutemen Rule! :)

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I thought he told me Lynn, but I'm probably mid-remembering.

Freddie <~~~ Greenfield, Ma

I'm also a Greenfield boy, sorta...

because I kept skipping my high school classes to go hang out at Sam's Pool Hall (CT) I ended up not graduating high school. :embarrassed2:

I enlisted in the Army and they had a requirement of either having a HS diploma or a GED. The recruiter drove me to take the 3 part GED test at Greenfield Community College.

I passed and was then able to go into the infantry. Whoohooo... :D

best,
brian kc

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm also a Greenfield boy, sorta...

because I kept skipping my high school classes to go hang out at Sam's Pool Hall (CT) I ended up not graduating high school. :embarrassed2:

I enlisted in the Army and they had a requirement of either having a HS diploma or a GED. The recruiter drove me to take the 3 part GED test at Greenfield Community College.

I passed and was then able to go into the infantry. Whoohooo... :D

best,
brian kc
Thank you for your service!

My father taught Communication (Speech) and English Composition from 1974 at GCC until he retired ~2007.

Freddie <~~~ proud of my great little hometown

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let me add some clarity to this discussion and lend some some support to my man Freddie. For those who don't know, there's a lot of old-school pool knowledge in MA, as its part of the Northeast corridor that is still the bastion of straight pool. And if you understand straight pool you have the basis for all other games.
Rotation from my father and straight pool from New England. These formed the basis of my game.

Don't sweat the naysayers, Freddie. They didn't go to UMASS, so they just don't know. Minutemen Rule! :)

And you were one of the beasts at UMass!