2014 World 9-Ball Championship

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He requested the ref to clean the CB like 15 times, more or less. I lost count after 10

Wow, that's a lot. Maybe he was trying to throw efren off with his chalking, is asking to have the cue ball cleaned that many times a way of saying you chalk too much? So your opponent would be thinking about his repeated chalking before the shot? Or was it a clear stalling tactic that should have been called on by the ref to negate a shot clock?

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that's a lot. Maybe he was trying to throw efren off with his chalking, is asking to have the cue ball cleaned that many times a way of saying you chalk too much? So your opponent would be thinking about his repeated chalking before the shot? Or was it a clear stalling tactic that should have been called on by the ref to negate a shot clock?

someone mentioned in livechat about the humidity level there causing shafts to be damp and I see Corey using a slider on his playing shaft right now.

So maybe cleaning the ball frequently is to remove the condensation?
Personally i think the antics sharked Efren a little.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like Corey is about to lose. Then again I said that about Darren when he was down 7-1. (And Corey is playing the same person who Darren came back to beat.)

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
The Final Bracket is gonna completed soon but for now Shane has by far the easiest way to the quarter-final. maybe his time is coming. GO Shane GO :)

http://www.qbsf.qa/en/downloads/2014/2014_W9BC_Final_round_format.pdf

You've gotta be kidding me. His bracket is the second most difficult one next to the orcullo/ko/biado/etc. bracket and once the losers side draws come in, it is only likely to get more difficult. If he wins this year, it certainly wont be because of an easy draw. Edit: nevermind, you said quarter final, thought you meant semi. Still a difficult bracket though.

Last edited:

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moisture on the cue ball can cause chalk to stick on it. If it is not cleaned there is a good chance when it next makes contact with an object ball which also could have chalk on it then you will probably get a massive bad
contact (a kick).
Karl would have realized that and would have not wanted to lose a hill hill battle just because wanted to give himself the best chance and conditions for winning the match. I like the way that he stood up to criticism and besides that Efren has been around the block too many times to be sharked. Karl would also know this and would have not even bother trying

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
@masayoshi. yeah, i think he's got the easiest bracket. also his group was the easiest. he might be lucky but it has disadvantages too.

Last edited:

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've gotta be kidding me. His bracket is the second most difficult one next to the orcullo/ko/biado/etc. bracket and once the losers side draws come in, it is only likely to get more difficult. If he wins this year, it certainly wont be because of an easy draw. Edit: nevermind, you said quarter final, thought you meant semi. Still a difficult bracket though.

Yeah I said "for now" :), noone in the top 20 in Shane bracket. Well Alex or Chang may jump in from the losers side for some thriller of course :rolleyes:. But for now it's the easiest one.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member

cmon guys, Efren doesnt get sharked. He's used to playing in a setup like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9xVjZ6NnOQ :thumbup:

about the boyes-reyes match, i was thinking that efren was using a different kind of chalk, probably a red chalk or those sticky triangle chalks, that's why his opponent would keep on asking the referee to clean the ball. but then i noticed boyes had the ball cleaned after 2 of his own shots. so it must be Karl's chalk that puts marks on the cueball. His game was solid though and he deserved to win. There were just lots of regret when Efren missed that 9 ball. anyway, there's alway next year Manong. :smile:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
yeah! now we got a REAL opponent for shane.

Here are the tournament wins of Chang Jun Lin listed on AzB:

$36,000 Guinness Tour Season Finale
$15,000 Guinness Tour Stop 3
$15,000 Guinness Tour Stop 1

$15,000 Guinness Tour Stop 3
$15,000 Guinness Tour Stop 2
$15,000 Guinness Tour Stop 1

$40,000 Beijing Open

$28,600 All Japan Men Championship
$20,000 World 8-Ball Championship

Looks like he's fully capable of winning a race to 11 against anyone.