Corey's invented the next best thing to instant 9-on-the-snap.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched it and tried to keep track:

On all 7 of his breaks against Dennis, he made the wing ball and clearly had the combination with the 2nd ball from the side he was breaking from.

He broke and ran using the combination in games 2, 6, 10, 12, & 14.

He broke and ran but did it without the combination in game 4 - he didn't have the proper angle on the preceding ball, so he just ran out all the balls.

He didn't have a shot on the 1 in game 8, and Dennis ended up making the combination, proving that karma only gets you 1 in 7 times.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The flaw in your theory is that this happens also with a tight rack. I just set it up with the magic rack and the second ball moved over just like Corey's. It does not require a loose second ball.........So the fact that he can get the balls to go the way they do in no way indicates that he is cheating. :(

I just watched this thing to see him break, he's hitting the break at barely lag speed. Of course if you don't hit the break shot nothing will move in the rack. On a "NORMAL" break shot, you'd see this combo lined up with a loose ball or 2. If people play 9 ball this way when allowed, I hope every tournament has a break rule where 3 balls have to make it past the side pockets at least. I don't really like 3 past the string as you can get some unlucky kisses or hits of the points of the sides and turn a rule made to prevent soft breaks into one that punishes you because of the randomness.

If I was watching this match, I'd walk out. I can see B players run out a rack engineered for an easy run out if I wanted that.

Last edited:

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's 100% cheating. If their going to use the Magic Rack at least have a referee rack the balls so they can't be placed in a specific order as to set up the 9 ball combo. I personally think the Magic Rack should GO AWAY. It's just my opinion. Any edge one player has over another should come from practice and pure skill, not from knowing how to place the balls in a rack and executing a perfect break. Absolutely in no way can it be good for the game.
Again, just my 2 pennies worth. :rolleyes:

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I saw that match and Dennis was completely pissed with Corey's play.

anyway does Corey use this on larger tables? I guess not because the would require 3 balls pass the head string.

This is not the first time I learned about it. a lot of players racked the 2/3/4 on just below the 1 in a well known and very crowded tournament in China in 2012. they soft broken and had constant combo for the 9.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's 100% cheating. If their going to use the Magic Rack at least have a referee rack the balls so they can't be placed in a specific order as to set up the 9 ball combo. I personally think the Magic Rack should GO AWAY. It's just my opinion. Any edge one player has over another should come from practice and pure skill, not from knowing how to place the balls in a rack and executing a perfect break. Absolutely in no way can it be good for the game.
Again, just my 2 pennies worth. :rolleyes:

They don't need a ref, but have the opposing player rack the balls. If there is a magic rack, he can't really rack them loose or slug his opponent, can he? Of course, he won't have a low ball set up for an early combo either. Why go with rack your own if a magic rack is involved?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

anyway does Corey use this on larger tables? I guess not because the would require 3 balls pass the head string.

This is not the first time I learned about it. a lot of players racked the 2/3/4 on just below the 1 in a well known and very crowded tournament in China in 2012. they soft broken and had constant combo for the 9.

Dennis should have protested and asked a ref or neutral party to rack. This shouldn't be allowed. I'm a fan of Corey Deuel, but this is basically unsportsmanlike. Would he try this against Earl? Can you imagine how angry Earl would have become?

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I laughed my a$$ off thru this entire match. Corey is an absolute genius.

What will the next rule be? Will it be to simply ban Corey? Anything short of that and he'll simply figure something else out to "skirt the rules".

He made Dennis look like a complete hacker in that match. Orcullo tried varying break speeds and was basically pissing in the wind. It's like he didn't have any idea how to counter this.

I applaud Corey for his ingenuity.

As for being against pattern racking, if an opponent racked and purposefully put the 7B or 8B in the "wired ball" spot.....that would be illegal as well, since the opponent would be creating a pattern.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Corey, but this trend is getting out of hand IMO.
Need to go back to opponent racks, and no inspecting the rack or complaining. If you get slugged more than once, call a ref over to rack. The break should be random, not a trick shot. And with that, move the spot back 6" to a full diamond and break from the box. Takes away the wing balls and the 1 in the side.
Chuck

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This just goes to show what hard work and study combined can achieve.
Good on Corey for being able to do this.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
Everyone practices something...Corey practices how to break and win. If they don't like it then make them break harder and go back to 3 balls past the head string. I don't see this happening with 10 ball and it looks like we are moving away from 9 ball going to 10 ball so pretty soon it won't matter.

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
What a joke. If thats not blatant cheating, I don't know what is. I watched Shane's match vs. Skyler yesterday from the same USBTC event and as unwatchable as it was, neither player comboed the 9 at any point during the match. However, It seemed like every single rack the soft break opened the balls up nicely and the one ball ended up in front of the top right corner pocket every time without fail. I thought for sure that since Skyler won the lag, he was gonna win the match by both players trading run-out games until he was first to reach 9. I cannot watch shit like that. Thats not pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxARy_XLnxU

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He often changes up the break, and yes, does hit soft on large tables. The balls past the string rule is only in a few tournaments. Some have that, some have they have to go past the side, some don't have any break rules, some just say "must break them hard". I don't like 3 past the head string as I've seen too many times where the player broke hard, actually made a ball, but only one other ball went down-table all the way due to collisions or hitting off the side pocket points and being redirected up-table again. Happened to Archer I think during a major tournament, I think the World Cup when he played China or Japan or something on a team. He broke hard, made a ball, and had to sit down due to an "illegal" break. You can see him steaming over that. Horrible rule with good intentions.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
How can anyone watch the following & not see him deliberately pattern-racking? He fumbles & twitches to stall for time as he thinks about which balls to grab next. He turns & spins them as he is thinking so they get lined up just right. He puts a ball up there, realizes its the wrong one & takes it back. None of this is conducive to a random rack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mZa59OiRJd8#t=290

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can anyone watch the following & not see him deliberately pattern-racking? He fumbles & twitches to stall for time as he thinks about which balls to grab next. He turns & spins them as he is thinking so they get lined up just right. He puts a ball up there, realizes its the wrong one & takes it back. None of this is conducive to a random rack.

Yeah it's crazy. He's not very smooth about how he sets it up, that's for sure.

It looks like he's doing three things:
1. Making the wing ball.
2. Sending the 1 to near the side pocket.
3. Setting up the combination with the 2nd ball.

But here's the thing: The 1 ball has to be in place. It doesn't really matter which ball is made on the wing. And as long as the combination ball isn't the 7 or 8, he's got an early out. He never seems to use the 2, 7, or 8 as the combination ball. So basically he sticks the 3, 4, 5, or 6 in the second spot. That's not much of a set-up, and shouldn't take too much thinking.

I wonder if he's doing something else that's making him stop and think about those other balls. We need CreeDo to figure it out.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a joke. If thats not blatant cheating, I don't know what is. I watched Shane's match vs. Skyler yesterday from the same USBTC event and as unwatchable as it was, neither player comboed the 9 at any point during the match. However, It seemed like every single rack the soft break opened the balls up nicely and the one ball ended up in front of the top right corner pocket every time without fail. I thought for sure that since Skyler won the lag, he was gonna win the match by both players trading run-out games until he was first to reach 9. I cannot watch shit like that. Thats not pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxARy_XLnxU

Well, pattern racking or not, 9 ball on a bar box is bound to be a run out fest.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it's crazy. He's not very smooth about how he sets it up, that's for sure.

It looks like he's doing three things:
1. Making the wing ball.
2. Sending the 1 to near the side pocket.
3. Setting up the combination with the 2nd ball.

But here's the thing: The 1 ball has to be in place. It doesn't really matter which ball is made on the wing. And as long as the combination ball isn't the 7 or 8, he's got an early out. He never seems to use the 2, 7, or 8 as the combination ball. So basically he sticks the 3, 4, 5, or 6 in the second spot. That's not much of a set-up, and shouldn't take too much thinking.

I wonder if he's doing something else that's making him stop and think about those other balls. We need CreeDo to figure it out.

The first two things are not hard to do with a magic rack (or a good rack by whatever means), when hit with a softer or a medium break, I think most people don't see that as an issue. With a harder break you would send the 1 ball towards the bottom 2 corners instead of the side so you end up with a shot at it if you control the cueball to the middle of the table, or even a bit of draw to bring it back towards where the 1 is going.

I like to hit my break at about 50% my normal break speed when using a magic rack, with draw from the rail. Makes the wing ball often, and send the cueball down for a hopefully simple shot on the 1. This is in 9 ball only.

Pattern racking with a fully tight rack with a tap for a break is the devil. Sure it's good if your goal is to win (Corey actually said that in one of the TAR matches, "the goal is to win the tournament") but it makes the games a joke, not the intent of the sport.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yep, even a banger like me saw it. I random rack. I guess that's why I'm just a banger.