Corey's invented the next best thing to instant 9-on-the-snap.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think you are spot on. Being a rack mechanic used to be cause for trouble. Big time.
Now its seems to have become a part of the game, and players who have played 5-10 years think its acceptable. It needs to go away, plain and simple. The break was intended to be random, similar to shuffling a deck of cards. If you stack the deck and deal yourself a for sure corner ball, and an easy layout, how can that not be considered cheating?
Chuck

Well, the corner ball is not corey's fault really, that's almost automatic with the magic rack.
You'd have a harder time missing it than making it.

But setting up an easy out via pattern racking is against the rules,
and Corey has done it in 2 barbox events now, one of which he won.

Mark Griffin is active on the forums, curious if he'll address the obvious pattern racking.
Maybe he's already had a quiet word with Corey.

Even if you prevent him from pattern racking, the 1 is going to be in the same place
every time, and so is the 9. So even if the rack is otherwise random,
Corey will still have a look at the one, and at SOME point he'll have an easy 9-ball combo.

I don't blame him for breaking with the exact right speed and angle to make those things happen.
If they don't want him to break that way the need to make a rule forbidding it.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Corey, but this trend is getting out of hand IMO.
Need to go back to opponent racks, and no inspecting the rack or complaining. If you get slugged more than once, call a ref over to rack. The break should be random, not a trick shot. And with that, move the spot back 6" to a full diamond and break from the box. Takes away the wing balls and the 1 in the side.
Chuck

Well, the corner ball is not corey's fault really, that's almost automatic with the magic rack.

Mark Griffin is active on the forums, curious if he'll address the obvious pattern racking.

Even if you prevent him from pattern racking, the 1 is going to be in the same place
Corey will still have a look at the one, and at SOME point he'll have an easy 9-ball combo.

I don't blame him for breaking with the exact right speed and angle to make those things happen.
Which is why i think the spot needs to move as well for rotation games like 9 ball and 10 ball. The corner balls have been a problem for years, but you can set the corner ball to go even if its not going by luck or skill. They tried putting the 9 on the spot when the Sardo rack became known as predictable, then that got figured out.
The problem as I see it is in the rules and where the spot is. If a neutral racker isnt available, it IMO should be opponent rack (with the spot moved back 6" to a full diamond to help eliminate the wing ball and the 1 in the side). Breaker is not allowed to check the rack. Break from the box, and 3 balls must past the headstring required.
Basically, what im saying is the rules should not permit pattern racking and setting up balls. Im not faulting a player for making use of poorly thought out rules.
Chuck

bayoubullet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does Corey break 10 ball? Has he or anyone out there figured a way to make a ball on the break everytime?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Or start racking with the 9 on the spot...that way he's got a few months to figure that one out before Mosconi.

Or maybe he's already working on that puzzle :p

Blaine B.

Clueless
Silver Member
I think you are spot on. Being a rack mechanic used to be cause for trouble. Big time.
Now its seems to have become a part of the game, and players who have played 5-10 years think its acceptable. It needs to go away, plain and simple. The break was intended to be random, similar to shuffling a deck of cards. If you stack the deck and deal yourself a for sure corner ball, and an easy layout, how can that not be considered cheating?
Chuck

Indeed. Local courtesy is ace on the front 2 on the back, rest is random. What say AZB?

Blaine B.

Clueless
Silver Member
Which is why i think the spot needs to move as well for rotation games like 9 ball and 10 ball. The corner balls have been a problem for years, but you can set the corner ball to go even if its not going by luck or skill. They tried putting the 9 on the spot when the Sardo rack became known as predictable, then that got figured out.
The problem as I see it is in the rules and where the spot is. If a neutral racker isnt available, it IMO should be opponent rack (with the spot moved back 6" to a full diamond to help eliminate the wing ball and the 1 in the side). Breaker is not allowed to check the rack. Break from the box, and 3 balls must past the headstring required.
Basically, what im saying is the rules should not permit pattern racking and setting up balls. Im not faulting a player for making use of poorly thought out rules.
Chuck

You lost me at breaker can't check the rack.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed. Local courtesy is ace on the front 2 on the back, rest is random. What say AZB?

I've never really understood why some place the two at the back, and then still claim the rack is random. One third of the rack is now set. The ball in the back usually goes up table, just like the one. So, putting the two in the back only makes the run easier. How is that not gaming the rack?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As great as Corey is, he'd probably be even better if he'd stop thinking about ways of gaming the rack and break and focus on improving other aspects of his game. For example, Shane has worked on his 10 ball break and has it down to a science. Perhaps Corey should be practicing things like that more so he could have more of a chance against the top rotation players in the world. I say this as a fan who wishes he would play up to his fullest potential.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Gosh, I really have to mute the audio -- can't stand Ken Schuman's dry-mouth noises (clicking, squishing of saliva).

Cottonmouth. It's brutal. Whoever is in the booth with him should be a good wingman
and keep him constantly hydrated.

How does Corey break 10 ball? Has he or anyone out there figured a way to make a ball on the break everytime?

The closest we have to guaranteed ball on the break in 10 ball is the 2nd row ball in the side.
In my experience usually it goes in the same side as you're breaking from. But the other side works too.
It's nowhere near as consistent as the 9 ball wing ball.
Even SVB makes it only 70%ish of the time, maybe 80% with a magic rack.
The 9b wing ball with magic rack is like 99%.

Ko Pin Yi break.
SVB break, making both.

For some reason corey is kinda bad at this break. I think because it requires force and he prefers to figure out
a soft break. But I don't think it's possible to make those balls when soft breaking.

Or start racking with the 9 on the spot...that way he's got a few months to figure that one out before Mosconi.

Or maybe he's already working on that puzzle :p

Sadly they already figured that one out, 1 in the side goes more easily from there.
But 1 in the side isn't bad if the 2's location is random. It still doesn't mean you get an easy runout.
Some players can also make the wing ball even when racked high, by cut breaking.

I've never really understood why some place the two at the back, and then still claim the rack is random. One third of the rack is now set. The ball in the back usually goes up table, just like the one. So, putting the two in the back only makes the run easier. How is that not gaming the rack?

I see that tradition all the time too. I notice the 2 can become trapped downtable though if you use a soft break.

As great as Corey is, he'd probably be even better if he'd stop thinking about ways of gaming the rack and break and focus on improving other aspects of his game. For example, Shane has worked on his 10 ball break and has it down to a science. Perhaps Corey should be practicing things like that more so he could have more of a chance against the top rotation players in the world. I say this as a fan who wishes he play up to his fullest potential.

I think it's just his personality. He's creative and wants to figure out how to perfect pool.
Sometimes I get the impression he's a little bored with it and the only fun he has is coming
up with these crazy new breaks. I don't think he's got that ultra-competitive mindset,
he's not the guy that's gonna practice 20 hours a day and then give some champ the 7 and smirk
when he demolishes him. I don't think that's what he gets out of pool.

ArtOfTheCue

Matt
Silver Member
I think it's just his personality. He's creative and wants to figure out how to perfect pool.
Sometimes I get the impression he's a little bored with it and the only fun he has is coming
up with these crazy new breaks. I don't think he's got that ultra-competitive mindset,
he's not the guy that's gonna practice 20 hours a day and then give some champ the 7 and smirk
when he demolishes him. I don't think that's what he gets out of pool.

We should lock Corey and Earl in a room together for six months with a pool table, set of balls, and the ability to request items from the outside world to experiment with. Can you imagine what kind of game they'd be playing when they came out?

The two mad scientists of pool.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand people have different motivations for playing pool, but sometimes Corey's creative just goes too far- like him breaking with a bridge or safety breaking in 10 ball against Kiamco. It's a free country though, so I guess he can do whatever he likes with his pool ability

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I took my own set of balls and my magic rack to the poolroom tonight and decided to try this out. I was racking them (as you look down at the rack) 1 3 2 4 9 5 6 7 8. I broke from the right side rail at a pretty soft speed. The 4 was going in the corner. The 1 tracked to the side. The 2 below the 1 and the 3 9 was lining up as a very easy (but not completely wired) combo. I ran the first 3 racks like this. My contact on the headball wasn't as square on the 4th break so I didn't get the same layout.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I took my own set of balls and my magic rack to the poolroom tonight and decided to try this out. I was racking them (as you look down at the rack) 1 3 2 4 9 5 6 7 8. I broke from the right side rail at a pretty soft speed. The 4 was going in the corner. The 1 tracked to the side. The 2 below the 1 and the 3 9 was lining up as a very easy (but not completely wired) combo. I ran the first 3 racks like this. My contact on the headball wasn't as square on the 4th break so I didn't get the same layout.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pretty good, did you get the 1 to hang in the side like Corey does?
He sometimes hits so soft it doesn't even reach a rail, I struggle with that.
Did you make the 3-9 combo for all 3 racks or were you forced to run them?

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Pretty good, did you get the 1 to hang in the side like Corey does?
He sometimes hits so soft it doesn't even reach a rail, I struggle with that.
Did you make the 3-9 combo for all 3 racks or were you forced to run them?

1 time I had to bank the 1 cross side. The other 2 times it hung up by the side pocket. I was able to make the 3-9 combo in all 3 racks. The last of the 3 racks the 3-9 was a hair more off angle than the previous 2, but it was still a combo most of the posters here could probably make 9 out of 10 times.

ETA: I want to add that I was doing this on a 9ft GC and not a barbox just in case anyone was interested.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
1 time I had to bank the 1 cross side. The other 2 times it hung up by the side pocket. I was able to make the 3-9 combo in all 3 racks. The last of the 3 racks the 3-9 was a hair more off angle than the previous 2, but it was still a combo most of the posters here could probably make 9 out of 10 times.

ETA: I want to add that I was doing this on a 9ft GC and not a barbox just in case anyone was interested.

well now I gotta try it. I am determined to get a six pack even if it's borderline cheating lol.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
well now I gotta try it. I am determined to get a six pack even if it's borderline cheating lol.

Ha yeah I know what you mean. If you were doing it in a match I guess what I did would technically be a 3 pack, but it's definitely not what I would think of in my mind if someone told me "I ran a 3 pack".