Corey's invented the next best thing to instant 9-on-the-snap.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
And it doesn't require any gaps in the rack.
I wanna thank Westcoast for pointing this out in another thread.

Corey will not be satisfied until he completely breaks 9 ball.

First he figured out how to make a ball on the break every time and get a look at the 1.
Then he figured out how to get an easy layout so he can run the whole rack every time.
Now he's figured out how to leave himself a wired 9 ball combo after running just 2 or 3 balls.

He hasn't quite perfected it, and maybe it only works on the barbox..

I tried soft breaking on my 9' table, QB 1 diamond right of center table, right wing ball goes in every time, I did it 11 times in a row before I got tired of racking. Sometimes both wing balls go in upper corners, 2 times I sank 3 on the break, a ball went in side pocket too. Not sure about the pattern racking, I just found out about this today.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Johnny, sorry, I gotta call you out! :)
If you won't post a video, then just try it on the honor system.
Go try it ten times or so, and post your results.

I am pretty sure this is not as easy as it looks.
Simply because we'd see more of it if it were.

Some of you guys are acting all jaded like
"oh yeah, that old trick? Everyone knows that one. It's simple.
Any B player can do it."

OK. There are thousands of racks of 9b on youtube and in exactly one we're seeing
tons of wired 9 balls. Why is that? Do the other professionals hate money?
Are they not motivated to win?

As for suggestions that he leaves a gap to make it work, I need some proof.
It's not easy to gap a magic rack without being obvious.
Watch him racking here, he never touches the ball that wires to the 9.
He just seems to gently tap the wing balls and the 1 to make sure they're snug.
I don't see him pulling anything away to make a gap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mZa59OiRJd8&t=1124

JLange

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Magic rack personally as you almost always get a tight fair rack. Any time the magic rack is used it should be alternate break which gives each player a chance. Kind of like Tennis where everyone has a chance to hold their serve.
To the post earlier emulating everyone can do it. Dennis couldn't :grin:
I've watched Cory for many years and he studies the rack like a bookworm.
I feel no matter how you want to rack them he will find a way to make it to
his advantage. Just my 2 cents and everyone is free to express their opinion.

Last edited:

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it's crazy. He's not very smooth about how he sets it up, that's for sure.

It looks like he's doing three things:
1. Making the wing ball.
2. Sending the 1 to near the side pocket.
3. Setting up the combination with the 2nd ball.

He's doing even more than that.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the Slug Doctor rack, (it is the donuts on the table) The rack is always tight and straight. I went out and broke from both sides with Coreys soft break 4 times I ended up with 2 balls down and the combo on the 9 three of the 4 racks, the 4th rack I had the combo but a ball tucked up on the 9 and stopped the combo. 9 ft Diamond .
It might be pattern racking but I always put the balls in a specific row, I do not care were they are in the row so it can be random to a point, but I keep the 7, 8 behind the 1 to stop the early combo.
3,9,5 next followed by the 2,4 and then the 6.
I also usually hit the rack pretty hard or as hard as by bad back will allow. I know I can soft break a ball in 90% or better I just don't do it, however if it was how I feed myself I might do it differently..
I think there should be a specific pattern and move the rack forward, and no 9 on the snap.
I like the Slug Doctor because every one gets the same rack, with out a twist.
Mark

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the MC 9-ball arrangement. It almost seems like breaker was at an disadvantage with very few BNR. A lot more back and forth shooting.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the MC 9-ball arrangement. It almost seems like breaker was at an disadvantage with very few BNR. A lot more back and forth shooting.

In 2013 it was 9-ball on the spot, no rules about balls coming back past the line.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Yeah it's crazy. He's not very smooth about how he sets it up, that's for sure.

It looks like he's doing three things:
1. Making the wing ball.
2. Sending the 1 to near the side pocket.
3. Setting up the combination with the 2nd ball.

But here's the thing: The 1 ball has to be in place. It doesn't really matter which ball is made on the wing. And as long as the combination ball isn't the 7 or 8, he's got an early out. He never seems to use the 2, 7, or 8 as the combination ball. So basically he sticks the 3, 4, 5, or 6 in the second spot. That's not much of a set-up, and shouldn't take too much thinking.

I wonder if he's doing something else that's making him stop and think about those other balls. We need CreeDo to figure it out.

There's one more thing you're missing. The ball on the rail adjacent to the side pocket where the 1 goes is always the low ball, in case the 1 drops. He's playing position on the 1 in the side, but also on that ball in the corner in case the 1 isn't there.

Sometimes it's the 2 ball. Other times it's the 3, and those times he makes sure to put the 2 on the wing so the 3 will be the low ball if the 1 goes.

Also the ball that ends up next to the 9 is always one higher than the ball that goes in the uptable corner. He's setting up a key ball for the combo. If he uses the 5 as the combo ball, the 4 will be above the side pocket on the side of the table where he's in good shape for the combo.

I'm with CreeDo on everyone who's saying this isn't anything new. If it wasn't an innovation, EVERYONE would be doing it, because it reduces BB 9-ball to a ridiculously simple game. If I knew how to control my break (and rack) as well as Corey does in this match, even with my level of offensive consistency I'd be running 10-packs, and my level is a far far sight from pro-level.

BB 9-ball needs to go away.

-Andrew

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried this last night on a Diamond Blue Label BB.

I racked the 2 and 3 to the right of the nine. I broke low outside with a soft stroke. Wing ball and corner ball went in, left the 3/9 combo wide open. Corey Deuel is a genius. Yes, it was pattern racking, but if your opponent knew you could make that break work and they purposely put a higher ball near the nine, that would also be pattern racking AGAINST you.

pooljd

Registered
There's one more thing you're missing. The ball on the rail adjacent to the side pocket where the 1 goes is always the low ball, in case the 1 drops. He's playing position on the 1 in the side, but also on that ball in the corner in case the 1 isn't there.

Sometimes it's the 2 ball. Other times it's the 3, and those times he makes sure to put the 2 on the wing so the 3 will be the low ball if the 1 goes.

Also the ball that ends up next to the 9 is always one higher than the ball that goes in the uptable corner. He's setting up a key ball for the combo. If he uses the 5 as the combo ball, the 4 will be above the side pocket on the side of the table where he's in good shape for the combo.

I'm with CreeDo on everyone who's saying this isn't anything new. If it wasn't an innovation, EVERYONE would be doing it, because it reduces BB 9-ball to a ridiculously simple game. If I knew how to control my break (and rack) as well as Corey does in this match, even with my level of offensive consistency I'd be running 10-packs, and my level is a far far sight from pro-level.

BB 9-ball needs to go away.

-Andrew

Good analysis. Agree with everything. It wasn't just setting up a combo on the nine. At least 3 other balls were in the same area every rack.

It definitely looks like he could run every rack in 4 shots if he wanted to. 1 in the side, 2 down the lower left corner, 3 in the opposite corner up-table and a 4-9 combo.

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Corey, but this trend is getting out of hand IMO.
Need to go back to opponent racks, and no inspecting the rack or complaining. If you get slugged more than once, call a ref over to rack. The break should be random, not a trick shot. And with that, move the spot back 6" to a full diamond and break from the box. Takes away the wing balls and the 1 in the side.
Chuck

Break should be random and not a trick shot.
This sums it up perfect.
WELL SAID.....:thumbup:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Break should be random and not a trick shot.
This sums it up perfect.
WELL SAID.....:thumbup:

So if your opponent slugs your rack, no complaints from you?
After all, that means you are pretty much counting on random
luck to make a ball or not.

00john

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, pattern racking or not, 9 ball on a bar box is bound to be a run out fest.

Orcollo isnt running them out. The wing ball going in on the breakers side being pocketed was the 2 or the 8.The 2nd ball back on the non breaking side was either the 2 or the 3 every break. The 2nd ball behind the 1 on the breaking side which was the ball set up for the combo was the 3 and 5 multiple times each and the 4 and 6 once each. The wing ball on the non breaking side was inconsequential in every rack and alternated 8 and 7 multiple times once the 6. The ball behind the wing ball on the non breaking side was also inconsequential was the 6 or 7 every rack. The back ball every rack that went up table was the 4 or the 5. It's on video for everyone to see. Balls that needed to be in place for the pattern were in place every one of Corey's racks. Balls that werent involved w the pattern were in their spots every one of Corey's racks. If it looks like a pattern,and works like a pattern it fits a pattern. CSI rules dont allow pattern racking.so what will they do about it?:confused:

Rjmoncrief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if your opponent slugs your rack, no complaints from you?
After all, that means you are pretty much counting on random
luck to make a ball or not.

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that it should be random luck.
Placing a ball to where it goes automatically is cheating. Period.
Nobody, regardless of skill level, should be able to rack the balls
In such a way that any ball goes every time and knows that another
Ball will sit down next to the 9 for an easy combo. Sounds like cheating
To me.
Again, just an opinion!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure the consensus is that it should be random luck.
Placing a ball to where it goes automatically is cheating. Period.
Nobody, regardless of skill level, should be able to rack the balls
In such a way that any ball goes every time and knows that another
Ball will sit down next to the 9 for an easy combo. Sounds like cheating
To me.
Again, just an opinion!

I think you are spot on. Being a rack mechanic used to be cause for trouble. Big time.
Now its seems to have become a part of the game, and players who have played 5-10 years think its acceptable. It needs to go away, plain and simple. The break was intended to be random, similar to shuffling a deck of cards. If you stack the deck and deal yourself a for sure corner ball, and an easy layout, how can that not be considered cheating?
Chuck