CTE Aiming Video

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
If you can prove this you'll get the Nobel prize for redefining physics.

pj
chgo

I'll stick with being ignorant of physics and simply looking at where the cue tip hit the cue ball as defined by the chalk on the ball.

It seems that you can a learn a lot by using a ball with properly marked lines on it. However in deference to you I will admit that I was probably subconsciously placing the ball incorrectly each time and therefore the line I was aiming at and hit was actually lower than I thought it was. In fact all my results where I pay attention and notice particular things are due to subconscious adjustment. I wish that I could consciously do any of this stuff.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Jim, disregard what I said.

I don't pivot when aiming. I line up using another of Hal's systems and don't pivot my cue except to address the cue ball where I want to hit it.

I answered you before fully watching the video. I know nothing of Hal's center to edge system other than seeing it referenced in these threads.

So I don't have an answer for you. Dave or EEZBANK will have to answer your question.

I am however going to go and try it based on what I saw in the video.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It seems that you can a learn a lot by using a ball with properly marked lines on it.

Even with improperly marked lines. When testing stuff I always use an object ball as the cue ball, carefully aligned so a number-in-a-circle is facing me and centered on where a centerball hit would be (tilted up a little because of my tilted-up stick), and then check the chalk mark after every hit. I've learned a great deal by doing this.

pj
chgo

dbyap

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Good clear description.

I pivot on every shot, however. I question if you need to recognize 1/2 ball hits as no-pivot hits. I pivot on everything, breaks included. I agree with making sure you get good info from the source.

Dave

how do you pivot on the break?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
OK I tried this a little bit this morning. I want to thank eezbank for putting this out. Of all of the discussions on this topic in multiple pool forums, this was the best description of the process that I have seen to date.

I had mixed results, biggest problem I have is forcing myself to take another aim line from what I have been accustomed too. and the change of my entire preshot routine with the pivot. As soon as I got that out of my head I hit the shots well, and pocketed them easily. I am sure that I will need more than 15 minutes of work to change the habits of 15 years.

Big questions I have, is this a system that you use for every shot, or is it best to use it for those difficult shots. I would still like an answer about adjustments that need to be made when shooting a shot with right or left english.

Perhaps another video to address these questions?

dbyap

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
If breaking from the left, aim center to left edge of the CB...tip to the left, pivot to center....*squat*

Opposite directions from the right side....*squat*

The 1P pivot break is secret, however.

There are a lot of techniques on CTE - most are bad info. I prefer a big pivot, closer to Bustamante's. Doesn't mean you can't use 1-tip...i just find it harder to pivot to true-center.

AH!!! Common share the one pocket break :eek: :D

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Cte

SpiderWebComm said:
If breaking from the left, aim center to left edge of the CB...tip to the left, pivot to center....*squat*

Opposite directions from the right side....*squat*

The 1P pivot break is secret, however.

There are a lot of techniques on CTE - most are bad info. I prefer a big pivot, closer to Bustamante's. Doesn't mean you can't use 1-tip...i just find it harder to pivot to true-center.

WHAT?
A secret one pocket pivot break you say?

Heresy, I cry!

OK, PM me with the secret 1 P break. V Cash coming your way ONLY after confirmation of a better one pocket break. :grin:

Eric: You did a nice job with your introduction to CTE. If you decide to make additional videos in the future, choose each of your words more carefully as they can be easily misconstrued or miscommunicated. I give you and 8+ on effort and a 10 for taking the time to explain CTE.

Also, I have to imagine that the cut angle for those three shots lined up down the center of the table are a bit different for those shooting the same shots on a 90 footer.
Thanks!
JoeyA

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
dbyap said:
AH!!! Common share the one pocket break :eek: :D

Aww, SpiderWebComm is just trying to wind us up like he does Patrick. Don't sweat him too much. He probably doesn't REALLY know a secret 1P pivot break that works consistently well. :wink:

JoeyA

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eezbank said:
This is my attempt to try to show how center to edge is used.

Thanks for that Eric. It's very helpful. This about what I thought the situation was.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Eric,
It's different to the CTE and ETE systems I've been looking into recently, but always appreciate those who try to explain.

Colin

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Thanks for the video, Eric. I've been following these threads with great interest. One thing I haven't been able to discern from the previous threads, diagrams and videos is the beginning aiming point on the CB prior to the the pivot. Your video says 1 tip off center in whichever direction is necessary for the cut direction. Is this your starting point on all shots regardless of angle? Thanks again. Rep coming your way.
Bill

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
dr_dave said:
Thanks Eric. If wish we had more stuff like this.

It would also nice to show and explain when and how you and others make small adjustments for all of the "in-between" shots.

Again, great job!
Dave

I'd like to know as well - tonight I was trying to explain all this to my friend from Taiwan and I was absentmindedly putting out random shots and firing them in using Hal's quarters system. My friend was getting more and more wide eyed as we were talking and he said how is that possible that you just made all those shots so easily and cleanly? I said, I wish I knew and this is what frustrates all the people on AZB.

Then I showed him some cut shots using Hal's system that blew him away. I was even over cutting some of them.

I don't understand it. If I try to aim by feel then I still miss shots way long and way short but if I use Hal's aiming system then I miss by an inch if I miss.

I never learned the Center to Edge system that was shown on this video. I tried it tonight and was doing something wrong - I should have had the computer set up at the table to really get the instruction.

Someday soon I will find the time to do some video of my own and hopefully that will help in some way.

I did have sort of a discovery although I am certain that someone else has probably pointed this out many times before.

Parallel English does not exist nor does parallel aiming.

Mike Page; you probably pointed this out in your slide show on aiming. I need to go back and review it again.

But here is the realization - adjusting for deflection in how you address the cueball and backhand english put your cue and approach to the ball in EXACTLY the same line in relation to the centerline of the cueball to the contact point of the object ball.

Diagram to follow later.

John

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Thanks for the video. I have been following these threads but I couldn't really grasp what was being explained. The video helps but I'm still having some confusion on what to do when you need to apply English to the CB.

Is anyone still giving out phone lessons on this system ?

Thanks

Frank

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...this "adjustment" discussion is a waste of azb real estate.

Adjustments are the other side of the coin for these systems - apparently you don't know there is another side, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Reality isn't limited by what you know.

pj
chgo