CTE Aiming Video

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
fsarfino said:
Thanks for the video. I have been following these threads but I couldn't really grasp what was being explained. The video helps but I'm still having some confusion on what to do when you need to apply English to the CB.

Is anyone still giving out phone lessons on this system ?

Thanks

Frank

I always use back hand english. I'm not sure if Hal still does phone lessons due to his health but RonV gives phone instruction on his 90/90 system that is also a great pivot based system.

devindra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
Adjustments are the other side of the coin for these systems - apparently you don't know there is another side, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Reality isn't limited by what you know.

pj
chgo

Yo will never understand that these aiming systems do not require adjustment. Stop saying that people are making subconscious adjustments, they aren't. Why don't you just do Colin's Potting Test on video and let's see how good you are. Might as well shut up and just learn CTE, because you've got nothing to lose. You're no pro.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
devindra said:
Yo will never understand that these aiming systems do not require adjustment. Stop saying that people are making subconscious adjustments, they aren't.

You do know that "subconscious" means you're not aware of it, right?

Why don't you just do Colin's Potting Test on video and let's see how good you are.

How well do I have to shoot for everything I say to be fact?

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'll pivot-one-stroke balls in so fast your head'll spin trying to figure out how I'm "adjusting."

If I ever have the honor of playing you, I'm gonna say "Center to edge, pivot, make ball...." on every single shot .... or "90/90, pivot, make shot."

The funny thing is I'd prob only miss when I made myself laugh.

That's nice. Does it have something to do with showing that you don't adjust?

I only disagree with you when you insist you "know" you're not doing it. I've suggested a simple test to show that you are, but you've never done it. Why?

pj
chgo

devindra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course I know subconscious means your're not aware of it. But if I 1 stroke balls in real fast like how Dave said how can I be making adjustments? Just for the fun of it I could even close my eyes and score everything but I need to make sure my tip is on the vertical axis.

I would not admit that everything you're saying is a fact because I don't see you winning any tournaments. When you can beat people like Bustamente,Reyes and Archer then I'll think about it.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
That's nice. Does it have something to do with showing that you don't adjust?

I only disagree with you when you insist you "know" you're not doing it. I've suggested a simple test to show that you are, but you've never done it. Why?

pj
chgo

I wipe my ass with your tests until you post a video of your ball making (colins test).

pj
fish

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
PJ-

I was trying to be diplomatic and open-minded (which is impossible with your follow-up condescending comments).

Personally, I don't think I adjust sh1t... just so ya know. I'll pivot-one-stroke balls in so fast your head'll spin trying to figure out how I'm "adjusting."
You two are so predictable. Every one of these threads seem to degrade into a PJ vs. Spidey pissing war.

PJ: Please try to be more "diplomatic."

Spidey: Thank you for trying to be "diplomatic." Also, I think your "adjustment" occurs with how you pivot. As you point out, you are not pivoting about the fixed bridge position. You are pivoting about a point further back. I think it is clear that the location of this pivot point is key to bringing you into the correct line of aim. The pivot point needs to be different for different shots (unless you are doing something else to "adjust"). You seem to adjust the pivot point quite naturally and quite well, so it might not seem like an "adjustment" to you. If you shot the range of shots I have suggested, and if you used the same alignment and pivot to center on each shot, and if we had an overhead camera, I think we would see subtle changes in the effective pivot point for the different shots. This would explain how you can be so effective with the system, and it would silence this whole debate (for your particular version of the "system" anyway). Hopefully, you can find somebody close by with a camera so you can set this up with the shots I have suggested in the diagram with the parallel shift of the CB and OB. One shot is not enough ... we need a collection of shots where the angle to the pocket is changing, and the CB-OB relationship is not.

Regards,
Dave

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PJ and DR. Dave you should have enough info to try the CTE and report back with info on the necessary adjustments. Thanks in advance for your help

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
devindra said:
Yo will never understand that these aiming systems do not require adjustment.

There is more than one approach that people are talking about, so it's hard to make blanket statements.

But let's just look at the approach Eric described in the video. For a cut to the left, he describes three different fullnesses of hit.

One is a half-ball hit, and that sends the object ball off at one specific angle--30.0 degrees neglecting throw.

A second one is thicker than a half-ball hit. It's what he gets when he starts out aligned from one tip to the inside on the cueball to the edge of the object ball and then pivots to centerball. The exact angle of this aim--whether it's 8 degrees or 15 degrees or 22 degrees--depends on his bridge length and on the distance from the cueball to the object ball. He mentions he keeps his bridge length fixed. So it just depends on the distance between the balls. Importantly for a given distance, it is a given, specific, well defined angle, like 17.2 degrees.

The third one is thinner than a half-ball hit. It's what he gets when he starts out aligned from one tip to the outside on the cueball to the edge of the object ball and then pivots to centerball. For a given bridge length, this angle too just depends on the distance between the balls. And again, for a given distance, it is a given, specific, well defined angle, like 43.8 degrees.

Eric's description is pretty clear: his prescription gets him to three predetermined well-defined angles for a given distance between the balls.

Whenever he hits balls at different angles from this he is violating the system as described.

Stop saying that people are making subconscious adjustments, they aren't.

You're right. We have no way of knowing whether they're subconscious or not. I think Patrick was just taking their word at face value that they were not aware they are making adjutments.

Why don't you just do Colin's Potting Test on video and let's see how good you are. Might as well shut up and just learn CTE, because you've got nothing to lose. You're no pro.

This really isn't helpful

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
At least seven aimpoints

Mike,

The brief video obviously didn't cover every detail but Eric seems to use six to nine aim points(not sure about CTC or any CTC offsets) and some extra offsets for extreme shots. While I don't believe that will cover every shot on a pool table I do believe that it will cover the vast majority of shots in a pool game, particularly on a seven footer. Adding back hand english means that you are no longer moving to the centerline of the cue ball. It might be that adding BHE is all of the adjustment needed for other shots although I dislike any system that forces me to use spin to pocket balls.

Hu

mikepage said:
There is more than one approach that people are talking about, so it's hard to make blanket statements.

But let's just look at the approach Eric described in the video. For a cut to the left, he describes three different fullnesses of hit.

One is a half-ball hit, and that sends the object ball off at one specific angle--30.0 degrees neglecting throw.

A second one is thicker than a half-ball hit. It's what he gets when he starts out aligned from one tip to the inside on the cueball to the edge of the object ball and then pivots to centerball. The exact angle of this aim--whether it's 8 degrees or 15 degrees or 22 degrees--depends on his bridge length and on the distance from the cueball to the object ball. He mentions he keeps his bridge length fixed. So it just depends on the distance between the balls. Importantly for a given distance, it is a given, specific, well defined angle, like 17.2 degrees.

The third one is thinner than a half-ball hit. It's what he gets when he starts out aligned from one tip to the outside on the cueball to the edge of the object ball and then pivots to centerball. For a given bridge length, this angle too just depends on the distance between the balls. And again, for a given distance, it is a given, specific, well defined angle, like 43.8 degrees.

Eric's description is pretty clear: his prescription gets him to three predetermined well-defined angles for a given distance between the balls.

Whenever he hits balls at different angles from this he is violating the system as described.

You're right. We have no way of knowing whether they're subconscious or not. I think Patrick was just taking their word at face value that they were not aware they are making adjutments.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
devindra said:
...if I 1 stroke balls in real fast like how Dave said how can I be making adjustments?

You're kidding, right? If you "stroke balls in real fast" how can you be following a system? This is meaningless.

I would not admit that everything you're saying is a fact because I don't see you winning any tournaments. When you can beat people like Bustamente,Reyes and Archer then I'll think about it.

Then I guess we can safely ignore you too, right?

pj
chgo

daphish1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never really looked much into aiming systems, but this video got me thinking. I mostly use something similar to the ghost ball for my aiming point or you could call it feel since I don't normally think about it consciously.

In looking at the CTE, it gives you a consistent aiming point to start from. I also watch SpiderWebComm's video that was on youtube and he seems to use more that the one tip pivot that Eric showed in the video. I'm just guessing here but it looks to me like the thing behind the system is how much the shooter adjusts their pivot angle. I think
since you do have a consistent starting point when shooting aiming at a ball, as you get used to using the system you "subconsciously" adjust to the correct pivot amount so that the aiming becomes consistent for you. So what might be one tip for one person might be two for someone else, it would all depend on where the pivot point actually takes place and the amount of pivot angle that is used.

It?s been too long since I?ve messed with the math, but I?m sure that you could work the numbers and get the angles.

I'll have to try it out at the pool hall tomorrow. I'm no world beater so anything that might make me pot balls more consistently is worth a try.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mikepage said:

Do you see defined angles when you are playing(43.8)????

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
No one has answered my question regarding english.

How does one apply english to the cb after having pivoted back to center?

How does this system differ from the earlier one that Hal taught me where the aim point is either 1/2 ball or a half of one side or the other?

Why the helll can't we talk about how to apply this system instead of all the big ego pissing contests? ! Grow up!. Let's learn what we can from each other and leave the childish freakin insults for lessor men.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
PJ: Please try to be more "diplomatic."

Spidey: Thank you for trying to be "diplomatic."

Dave, these threads aren't disrupted by me taking pokes at the belligerent ignorance on parade here. It's the belligerent ignorance itself that does that.

We get sidetracked into hormonal irrelevancies about shotmaking videos or trail off into circular nonsense about "shifting edges" and "moving pivot points" long before the sabres start rattling. Why? Because Spiderdave and his merry troupe of system cultists can't help it - they see that cliff at the edge of reason and drive their little clowncar straight off it every time.

You've been blowing kisses up their asses for several threads now and all I've heard coming out the other end is kazoo music.

pj
chgo