Cyclop Balls

i'm all for new things, progress, better things etc. Change is good. However one thing I cant fade is the color(s). Somethings I dont like change in or new. and with the 1000000000's of hours i have watched pool balls-playing, sweating, online etc I like my traditional colors. I hope they offer traditional colors and the new colors for people who like them.

Yes they are going to come in the new colors and they are going to offer them in the traditional colors.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I played Scotch Doubles, Singles and Team.....I had no problem shooting the right balls...With 8 ball it's just solids or stripes...Maybe 9 ball would take more effort to pay attention...
Everyone was talking about them ..Most comments were the cue ball followed better and took more spin...Most complained about being hard to draw compared to the red circle...
I found I had to shoot much softer or the cue really traveled too far...The Cyclop red eye on cue ball is not raised...It looked it to me but I rubbed my finger over it and it was not...Sort of has a 3-D effect...
My S.D. partner is a little color blind...4 times she shot the Turquoise 15 thinking it a solid ...Each time it was on the rail way up table...Maybe Green cloth would show the colors better since the balls are all a light color now...
I talked with McDermott and Omega billiards and they said they weighed and measured the balls and they are exactly the same in size and weight as Aramith...

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How the hell did this thread go from an inquiry about some new billiard balls to the suicide rate in China? Reel it in guys. If you don't have anything to add regarding the quality and/or playability of the balls, please keep your bulllshiit to yourself.

You spelled "bullshit" wrong ... sir :)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
.I'm just glad they don't put "spin spots" on the ball in football, baseball, tennis,

Yeah Chris, he told me about it last night. He said he felt it was the measles ball that was the problem but then again he does not like that cue ball. I am curious why they did not just use the one with the set, like Floyd said, "They got these guys playing with a training ball with spots all over it.".

Floyd is observant and correct ...

mfln1828l.jpg
measles.jpg

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I know that one place no can buy any balls is with Lou. :)

If the choice is to be kind or to be snarky Lou chooses to be snarky.

Congratulations to Cyclop for coming with a ball that satisfies Diamond, they are picky.

Not about their pockets they aren't. :smile:

My guess is it was the raise in the price from Aramith combined with the very common "how can they make such a nice product, ship it all the way here from China and sell it to me for that"? "I can sell them for triple that and still have it seem reasonable to my customers"!!

They're picky about making a profit which is a good thing. It means they intend to stick around.

It's all about economics.

JC

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Not about their pockets they aren't. :smile:

My guess is it was the raise in the price from Aramith combined with the very common "how can they make such a nice product, ship it all the way here from China and sell it to me for that"? "I can sell them for triple that and still have it seem reasonable to my customers"!!

They're picky about making a profit which is a good thing. It means they intend to stick around.

It's all about economics.

JC

They are picky about the pockets as well. Only on this they have been working on finding the solution that works. I was told that they were using a suggestion I gave them that seems to work. I don't know if that has made it out to all the tables yet.

Some stuff in China is still fairly cheap comparatively. Hey even Aramith has their cues and cases made here. And for that matter they are into tables, cloth, cue and cases and probably thinking about chalk as well. So why shouldn't others be looking for alternatives to their balls?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Chris, he told me about it last night. He said he felt it was the measles ball that was the problem but then again he does not like that cue ball. I am curious why they did not just use the one with the set, like Floyd said, "They got these guys playing with a training ball with spots all over it.".

I played with the Cyclop balls tonight on a wet table.

the CB that comes with the set has this eyeball looking thing that is annoying when its looking at you and your hutting the rock right where the eye is, i have never been bothered by the measle ball or the circles on the other CB's. the eyeball thing is brutal.

Now lets talk about whats really important, skids. i lived over 20 years in Vegass and used everything possible 199999453453453 times. I can see where these balls would skid, slide what ever you want to call it REAL REAL REAL bad in Vegas. they would be horrible there, on the wet table tonight they played perfectly.

they are smoother than regular balls, when I loaded up with side spin after contact the CB would carry more spin to the rail and open up the angle more. the side spin on the CB just carried thru the OB like the OB wasnt there, no loss of spin after the collision. On the wet table it was easy to do some fancy looking stuff with the CB very easy.

I am going to play again tomaro some $200/game one hole and see how they work out. I think they will be fine, the box they come in is very noice for a card board box FWIW. they are trying to compete with Saluc, and IMO they are.

and for the record I dont think they will ever work in a super dry environment. I wouldnt want to play with them in Vegas. I totally understand what Chris B was saying he is 1000000% right.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with the Cyclop balls tonight on a wet table.

the CB that comes with the set has this eyeball looking thing that is annoying when its looking at you and your hutting the rock right where the eye is, i have never been bothered by the measle ball or the circles on the other CB's. the eyeball thing is brutal.

Now lets talk about whats really important, skids. i lived over 20 years in Vegass and used everything possible 199999453453453 times. I can see where these balls would skid, slide what ever you want to call it REAL REAL REAL bad in Vegas. they would be horrible there, on the wet table tonight they played perfectly.

they are smoother than regular balls, when I loaded up with side spin after contact the CB would carry more spin to the rail and open up the angle more. the side spin on the CB just carried thru the OB like the OB wasnt there, no loss of spin after the collision. On the wet table it was easy to do some fancy looking stuff with the CB very easy.

I am going to play again tomaro some $200/game one hole and see how they work out. I think they will be fine, the box they come in is very noice for a card board box FWIW. they are trying to compete with Saluc, and IMO they are.

and for the record I dont think they will ever work in a super dry environment. I wouldnt want to play with them in Vegas. I totally understand what Chris B was saying he is 1000000% right.

They are smoother and harder and produced to higher weight and diameter tolerances and probably have a higher coefficient of restitution than other balls. Sooooo, all that would lead one to the conclusion that skid is actually less likely with these balls. But I defer to the science guys. Anecdotal evidence is just that.

Lou Figueroa

Non Smoker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We played with them for 3 days last week, in the PBIA booth, at the Trade Show in Chicago. I did notice that the balls stayed cleaner. They seemed to play just as well as the premium Aramith balls. I was slightly put off by the muted colors (especially, imo the puke-green!), but I'm sure you can used to anything! :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Scott, when you were at the BCA show did you see the Cosmos Phenolic balls from
Korea? I have been playing with them for a few days now and they are exceptionally
good. They also stay much cleaner and have a good reaction to the cue ball hitting the OB, plus they roll smoothly. Just like the Cyclop balls they are not ready in the USA yet, but they will be here soon. I switched out the cue ball with my Aramith cue ball and the Aramith was dirty right away and the cosmos stayed clean.
The color are the same as the TV tournament balls to avoid confusion.
cosmos1.jpg

JC

Coos Cues
They are picky about the pockets as well. Only on this they have been working on finding the solution that works. I was told that they were using a suggestion I gave them that seems to work. I don't know if that has made it out to all the tables yet.

Some stuff in China is still fairly cheap comparatively. Hey even Aramith has their cues and cases made here. And for that matter they are into tables, cloth, cue and cases and probably thinking about chalk as well. So why shouldn't others be looking for alternatives to their balls?

That's exactly my point, they should be looking and China is the first place I would look. I haven't seen these balls yet but based on other's reports they appear to be top quality. No one has mentioned the price but it wouldn't surprise me if Diamond is paying $30 a set or less. That doesn't mean they aren't good.

As for the pockets. I just bought a set with the new nylon buckets for a pro and was told ahead of time to expect them to scuff off on the balls still. At least I know they aren't fixed and what to expect.

Perhaps once China makes those pockets for them it will be fixed?

JC

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just WRONG to change the color of pool balls. Both the commentators and the spectators were confused.