Cyclop Balls

Well you better get used to it, because these are the balls that they will be using in all major pro tournaments before long. Diamond Billiards is onboard with it, so any tournament that uses Diamond tables. Will most likely use the Cyclop Balls.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just WRONG to change the color of pool balls. Both the commentators and the spectators were confused.

It's a passing thing, not unlike when Aramith introduced the TV set with the pink and brown balls. It time I believe everyone will be smart enough to figure it out.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you better get used to it, because these are the balls that they will be using in all major pro tournaments before long. Diamond Billiards is onboard with it, so any tournament that uses Diamond tables. Will most likely use the Cyclop Balls.

Yup. If Diamond is going to be the US distributor we all better get used to them.

Lou Figueroa
the times
they are
a-changin'

saint1

saint1
Silver Member
Balls

Here is my feelings on the balls. No ill intentions to anyone intended. Some like and some don't. Everyone has their right to opinion. I played in Doubles, singles, teams, over 9 days. I did not like them or come in contact with anyone who did. In fact I remember one night they announced over the loud speakers that they were going to give away or raffle off a set, and a whole chorus of boo's went up. Most of all the cue ball. I would have gave anything to play with the measles ball. The very first minutes of play I noticed that any thin cut shot would be hit way to thick. You had to hit thinner than you would think. The cue ball also came off a cut shot at a different angle than you would think. When I got home and hit some on my home table (brunswick cent) I missed the first 8-10 thin cut shots just the opposite. After 4-5 days the balls were just filthy. You would just rack one time and your hands felt really grimy and the balls had black marks all over them. I dont remember in the prior years of this problem. I also feel the colors should not be altered. In doubles I set up what I thought was my last ball before the 8, only to realize the 7 ball was still on the table. Baby blue, same as the cloth. My team mate also did this in singles and shot at the 8 not seeing the 7. I heard one of the pros also did this? The 7 and 15 have been dark red for what 100 years? Don't get the thinking into to changing to baby blue. At least the 8 was still black I guess. If you play bar league or go into a new place there is always some adjustment. Sometimes the balls are in terrible condition and scuffed up. To me the Cyclop balls were worst than this.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The very first minutes of play I noticed that any thin cut shot would be hit way to thick. You had to hit thinner than you would think. The cue ball also came off a cut shot at a different angle than you would think.

John Barton has a bet for you. See the other Cyclop ball thread.

Lou Figueroa
BTW
I completely
agree with you

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im very serious about this post, its the damnedest thing ever. I like the colors and how bright the balls are, my eyes are not what they were. But there is one thing that is just beyond weird.

Here it is:

the light blue 7 ball, I love the color of it period, but for some reason and this is th truth, I keep calling it the "Pink" ball. There i am looking right at it and calling it pink for hours.:eek: Something is cross wired in my brain, because I can see it looks light blue but I keep calling it pink, to myself and out loud. to me its pink, and I know its not.

very strange, i'm not color blind at all, never have been, I cant tell right from left(true). never in my life have I had a problem like this, calling something the wrong color. I had to stand there several times and correct myself and actually think of it being light blue, then 5 minutes later racking them I said to my self "I'll rack the pink ball behind the 1 for the break" I said this racking the balls.

how does that happen, that i'm seeing blue and saying pink?

i'm dead serious, very strange how my brain works(or dont work)

I really like the balls I hope they become the new standard. Even with the new colors i changed my mind and am coool with that. I never did like the TV balls, with the pink & brown., Maybe subconsciously Im mixing them up or something. the TV balls play nice just didnt like the colors.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received my set of Cyclop Balls yesterday from CSI. I really like them. I've played with them for a total of about 3 hours and haven't experience any skids....yet. I have noticed less pocket marks. My pockets tend to put round pocket marks on the balls and these seem to not mar as much as my Super Pros. When they do get marked, it is easily wiped off with your hand. The Super Pros require a cycle in the ball polisher. I've been using them with the Measle Ball but plan to get some time in with the Cyclop Cue Ball soon. As for the colors, I like them, a lot. The Green used on the 6 and 14 looks better in person than in the pics I've seen and I really, really like the Baby Blue 7 and 15 as well as the Lavender 4 and 12. I like the font used too. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase.

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be crazy but I thought the tournament blue cloth was developed ( my understanding) so that the balls are more distinct, better visibility of the balls' edges. Now these balls come out with colors ( 6,7,15,14 balls) that seem to blend into the tournament blue cloth. I have no idea if they are better quality balls but the colors seem all wrong to me.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be crazy but I thought the tournament blue cloth was developed ( my understanding) so that the balls are more distinct, better visibility of the balls' edges. Now these balls come out with colors ( 6,7,15,14 balls) that seem to blend into the tournament blue cloth. I have no idea if they are better quality balls but the colors seem all wrong to me.

The story I have been told is that the blue cloth was something Greg Sullivan came up with.

Greg wanted a cloth that was best for human eyes to see what was on it. He contacted a company that specialized in such things and was told that a particular shade of blue was best for the human eye to differentiate between the surface color and what was sitting on it. That color is now Simonis Blue.

If you happen to watch any of the recent US Open Tennis, you might have noticed that the color of the courts was striking similar.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to mention that I saw a set of the Cyclop balls in traditional colors last night, so apparently they are now available. A friend got a set for $150 plus S&H.

The CB in this set has a red diamond and the colors themselves are right, but richer and deeper than Super Aramith Pros. They look real nice.

Lou Figueroa

Axis_of_Evil

Registered
I think the new colors are a great idea. I have trouble seeing the Aramith SuperPro 2,4,6,7 & 8 balls, especially on long cut shots. Where the 1,3 & 5 balls are much easier for me to play with.

I have a 9ft Diamond Pro with Simonis Green and a four lights above with 2 x 150w bulbs on the outside and 2 x 100w bulbs on the inside lights. I should probably go with Tournament Blue next time for better visibility.

If the point is to improve play, then these balls should help IMHO. Most sports equipment evolves over time... for instance football has artificial turf and enclosed stadiums, golf has evolved with very advanced equipment, etc., etc. So, should pool.

Regards,
Axis

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find the colours of the Cyclop balls a little uneasy on the eyes.
I prefer the Brunswick centennials or Aramith super pro colours.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I have played on the blue cloth a few times and find it OK, but I see the balls better on the green. It might have something to do with me being color blind. I don't want to even remember how many 6 ball I didn't see on a rail or in the mouth of a pocket and went from 5 to 7=foul=lost money. Of course the drinking didn't help I'm sure. Johnnyt