Hercek or Southwest

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rubberheels

"Buy a Schon and save thousands! "

Rubber you have a point here and its valid to a point but, if you pay $800.00 for a Schon play it for 5 yrs and want to sell it, you may get 3-4 hundred for it. You aren't really losing any money because you played it, but if you are wanting another cue after selling it you will have to dish out some cash. You play a Hercek for 5 yrs and unless you are desperate to sell it, I almost guarantee you at minimum recoup your investment, and would hazard a guess that you will actually pocket a bit of $$.

saint1

saint1
Silver Member
Sw

Southwest prices are skyrocketing as of late --- it leads me to believe that Laurie is coming to the end of her reign in the business. I could be wrong but the price jumps are of a large increase in %. Still no ebony cues and limited number of tulip wood cues. The options are getting more and more limited.

All that said, I am still a huge fan of the SW, it's staying power in overall quality and holding of it's value.

Yes, You are wrong!

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
I have not played with a Hercek but the craftsmanship is amazing and I've only heard great things. I have had Southwests in the past, like them but don't like the limitations, never did but more so now with woods etc. My name is coming up for a SW relatively soon so debating now on which direction to go in.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
"Buy a Schon and save thousands! "

Rubber you have a point here and its valid to a point but, if you pay $800.00 for a Schon play it for 5 yrs and want to sell it, you may get 3-4 hundred for it. You aren't really losing any money because you played it, but if you are wanting another cue after selling it you will have to dish out some cash. You play a Hercek for 5 yrs and unless you are desperate to sell it, I almost guarantee you at minimum recoup your investment, and would hazard a guess that you will actually pocket a bit of $$.

No offense intended. But if this is about money, then you would lose money on the big name cues. Instead of buying that $5K cue, and if you invested that $4500, and bought a $500 cue, yes, in 5 years the cue might only be worth $200, but after investing the $4500 at a meager 3% you would have made over $700.

So, I sell the $500 cue for $200, add the $700 to my next cue, and can pay $900 for my next cue and still have $4500 in the bank, to invest again and again.

So, buying collector cues should never be amount the money. You buy it because you like it, no excuses needed. Most folks know you can shoot with just about any wood cue with a good tip and play the game the well. And yes, the big name cues may increase or decrease, and that might be some of the fun. We know pool players like to "sweat action" :)

Folks don't really buy a Rolex because it keeps better time than a Timex ;)

Last edited:

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a point and I have liked them all and other than one or two exceptions done ok, although wish I still had em.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have not read the whole thread but here's my .02. Hercek by 1000%, it appears to me a SW is as custom as a Schon cue with a wait list. They both have 3 employees I think I've heard, seems to me one chose to make more per cue and the other wanted more to enjoy their cues. Now a Hercek is not only a cue but a piece of art as well. Anyone else feel this way.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Have not read the whole thread but here's my .02. Hercek by 1000%, it appears to me a SW is as custom as a Schon cue with a wait list. They both have 3 employees I think I've heard, seems to me one chose to make more per cue and the other wanted more to enjoy their cues. Now a Hercek is not only a cue but a piece of art as well. Anyone else feel this way.

You make some valid points

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joel's cues are works of an Artist and he is also a gentleman with the added advantage with mine at least, it PLAYS.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Joel's cues are works of an Artist and he is also a gentleman with the added advantage with mine at least, it PLAYS.

Yes, he does have a certain flair. I wonder how many cue makers are "artists"... I don't mean professionally, but the ability to draw, paint, sketch before they ever picked up cue making.

It appears, by a pretty large margin, that Hercek gets the nod here. For flippers, SW is probably the better deal, but for everything else, Hercek by a landslide.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The point made is more apparent than real

3 workmen or 1 workman is not the guage of quality

Practically anyone will tell you that southwest cues are the very top quality
with 3 or so pros turning out 12 or so cues pr month

selling the cues for $2500 or so and then up to $5000 each in the aftermarket

it does not take a genius to see the well placed confidence people have in South West Cues

Other than Szamboti and maybe a few others that only make a few cues pr year
no other cue is a guaranteed a profit,

And this reputation is based on playability alone,

It is my opinion that there has never been a cue that played as good,

asiasdad

Banned
I have been on the South West list since 2005 and on the Hercek list since 2006

With South West no longer doing ebony, it will mean I have to come up with
another idea.

Joel, on the other hand has not indicated any change of plans.

For that reason only, I will cherish the Hercek cue much more.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
If they play so great, not being sarcastic?

it does not take a genius to see the well placed confidence people have in South West Cues

Dean, if Southwest Cues play so amazing and someone waits 10-12 years for one of their requested design, why would they flip it and not play with it. I have not had the chance to shoot with a Southwest but if I paid $2500 for it waited 10 years, shot with it and loved it I sure wouldn't sell it for 5k, I'd want to shoot with it forever. On a side note I've heard SW play really stiff like a Schon. How do they compare in your opinion knowing you have a relationship with both? Ty in advance.

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
i've had the pleasure of owning 100+- SW cues and not a weak or mediocre player in the lot, on the other hand i've had 2 striking JH'S which i thought played well, but they were not exceptional

to summarize i wouldn't mind having a JH to show my friends but i WOULD have a SW to show my opponents

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
i've had the pleasure of owning 100+- SW cues and not a weak or mediocre player in the lot, on the other hand i've had 2 striking JH'S which i thought played well, but they were not exceptional

to summarize i wouldn't mind having a JH to show my friends but i WOULD have a SW to show my opponents

hey rib...

stunning points
always a pleasure to digest

all the best,
smokey

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member

After I hear the prices from Laurie directly going skyrocket, I will go will JH always, yes my name come up this Year from Joel:wink:

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my dilemma my Hercek is a work of art that plays and probably won't appeal to many as it is a personal design, I waited about the same length of time for the Hercek as I waited for the Southwest and price ways it’s a wash. If it was a normal Southwest and I had/chose to sell one it wouldn't be an issue I’d sell the Southwest. I don't even have the Southwest yet but I should have it in hand by the end of April, maybe middle of May due to my work schedule. However this is a unique Southwest a true one of one and I suspect that it will play very well and look even better. It is still the standard Southwest design but with a unique twist. I did not order the Southwest or the Hercek to peddle I ordered them to PLAY. I am hoping to keep both actually but the timing is bad, hopefully I will come up with something that will allow me the option to keep both, I have let to many jewels go over the years.