If you really want to know how Shanelle Lorain plays

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone is talking about the one set they saw on stream,

"Everyone is talking about" Shanelle lately, she must be doing something right. I lot of pro boxers have losing records too, why are we being so negative?

All indications are that Shanelle does not overstate her ability.

Bottom line: Looks matter more than they should in our society. Not going to change any time soon. End of story.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She may not be great, or even very good, at this point, and yes, her playing in certain events may have more to do with her marketablility and promoters putting her in certain spots. But to judge her for a set where she only had 2 attempts at the table and her opponent just ran out over and over is just ridiculously stupid. By that comparison I guess we all suck when we are sitting in the chair watching someone play great?

Scott

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were not laughing at Shanelle as much as they were in awe of her opponent Pei-Chen Tsai. That little girl put a beat down on the ghost that day. It just happened to be Shanelle sitting there. Im not saying she is a world beater, but you cant judge anyones speed in that game except for the girl at the table running rack after rack. If you really want to know how Shanelle Lorain plays, show up with few K in your pocket post up and play her yourself.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Perhaps this Amway Cup match is not a great example seeing as her opponent more or less ran the set out on her, but Spanky's point is still valid, she's not that good considering we are talking about her in the context of professional pool.

She had plenty of chances against Karen Corr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34tuccyPjQs

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Shanelle can get out sometimes....I hope she sticks at it...she's good for
the game.
https://www.google.ca/url?url=http:...oraine&usg=AFQjCNHia_aM1r17CleQHvNKIchxt9vv3g
Although she did run 4 balls there, that wasnt exactly the example I would want to show someone of a pool player running out. She had no cueball control/positioning going from ball to ball on any of the shots...

When she walks around the table looking at shots and when she gets down on a shot and then gets back up, it makes me wonder if she is doing for an actual reason (like any other pool player that actually has a bit of skill) or just so she can look like a pool player...?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Although she did run 4 balls there, that wasnt exactly the example I would want to show someone of a pool player running out. She had no cueball control/positioning going from ball to ball on any of the shots...

When she walks around the table looking at shots and when she gets down on a shot and then gets back up, it makes me wonder if she is doing for an actual reason (like any other pool player that actually has a bit of skill) or just so she can look like a pool player...?

She plays like she's trying to remember everything Charlie told her.
Taking your lessons to a match under heat is like the guy who just got
his black belt and got punched out in his first street fight.

Shanelle needs to hit a lot more shots by herself.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Shanelle may indeed become a good professional pool player, only time will tell. She certainly is stepping in the box against much better competition and that shows a certain kind of heart. There is a long held view that the only way to get better is to play better players. But there is also something to be said for working your way up. Competing against better players is one thing, but getting in the ring with Mike Tyson before you are ready is quite another. Not sure that is a good way to get better and could easily have the opposite effect.

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That other girl called Tsai Pei Zhen is good enough to trouble Allison or Jasmin. Good battle versus lower tier male pro would not be totally out of the question. Plays power stuns like the guys. And she's a cutie too...

I know Shanelle isn't a world beater or even a good amateur, but the crowd here is just harsh sometimes. That last kick shot she tried was not that easy to hit, it's harder than it looks. To get it safe would be difficult even for seasoned pros. Not much distance between cb and short rail, the object ball near the middle of the table...not that easy to judge correctly, it's just a kind of shot you don't want after sitting out a few rack of nearly flawless pool.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I don't know why everybody knocks on Shanelle so much. Does she seem to have any significant talent for the game? Nope, not as far as we can tell anyway. Is she clearly a notch or two (or three) under the competition in many or even most of the events that she plays? Yep. I don't ever recall her claiming to be as good as these other players either though.

She seems to be doing what we all did at one time, particularly when we were still learning. Entering events that were way over our head because we enjoyed it, and for the experience, in an attempt to get better. We were all once "that person". You know who I am talking about, you still see them at every single event you play in. And most of us still are "that person", or at least we would be, if we still had the guts or the desire to enter high enough level tournaments.

Would I personally enter an "open" tournament that regardless of the "open" name I knew was really just a pro tournament that was specifically intended for the pro level players, and that would consist almost exclusively of pro level players, and especially if it is being streamed/televised/reported on? Hell no. A good example would be the few average league player types that managed to get on the IPT tour a few years back. Now my personal decision would be partly out of my "respect for the tournament and the sport", but I also have to admit it is largely out of pride because I would feel like an idiot with the world seeing how out of my league I was. But if someone else isn't as scared, and doesn't let their embarrassment and pride get in the way of their wanting to gain experience and have fun, can I really fault them, particularly when we know that is their reason and not that they think they actually belong there based on their skill?

There is one other difference between Shanelle and the rest of us that are out of our league at the tournaments we play in (or that would be if we played in the right tournaments). We weren't hired to do it--she was. She was blessed with a particular natural beauty and poise, and as such was hired as a representative and promoter of a brand. Her job is to get the brand exposure, and to represent them in a professional manner. It seems to me that she has been successful in fulfilling both of these things.

She is having fun competing in these tournaments. She is wanting to learn and grow from the experience of being in over her head. She is fulfilling what she was hired to do by bringing good exposure to a brand. At the end of the day I can't say I can truly find fault in any of that.

Not to mention that she is human and saying hurtful things about her (which I'm sure she reads and/or hears about) serves no purpose and isn't deserved. She knows she isn't a world beater. It would be one thing if she thought she was, then I could understand people lashing out at her. But she is just a girl that wants to get experience, improve, have fun, and as a side bonus while doing something she enjoys, get a little financial reward by delivering on a job that she was hired to do.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great POST...

The young lady should enjoy reading this, a message from the heart about another human trying to make it in this world.

Too bad we don't have ways to pit folks against one another, who can't get along or don't like to get along, in a staged event, for the membership to watch.

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
What a fate...

Shanelle is drop dead beautiful... Had she got bitten by acting or modeling bug, she would be much more respected and even demanding.

I command for her desire and perseverance. No doubt she is dedicated to her passion.

S.G.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't know why everybody knocks on Shanelle so much. Does she seem to have any significant talent for the game? Nope, not as far as we can tell anyway. Is she clearly a notch or two (or three) under the competition in many or even most of the events that she plays? Yep. I don't ever recall her claiming to be as good as these other players either though.

She seems to be doing what we all did at one time, particularly when we were still learning. Entering events that were way over our head because we enjoyed it, and for the experience, in an attempt to get better. We were all once "that person". You know who I am talking about, you still see them at every single event you play in. And most of us still are "that person", or at least we would be, if we still had the guts or the desire to enter high enough level tournaments.

Would I personally enter an "open" tournament that regardless of the "open" name I knew was really just a pro tournament that was specifically intended for the pro level players, and that would consist almost exclusively of pro level players, and especially if it is being streamed/televised/reported on? Hell no. A good example would be the few average league player types that managed to get on the IPT tour a few years back. Now my personal decision would be partly out of my "respect for the tournament and the sport", but I also have to admit it is largely out of pride because I would feel like an idiot with the world seeing how out of my league I was. But if someone else isn't as scared, and doesn't let their embarrassment and pride get in the way of their wanting to gain experience and have fun, can I really fault them, particularly when we know that is their reason and not that they think they actually belong there based on their skill?

There is one other difference between Shanelle and the rest of us that are out of our league at the tournaments we play in (or that would be if we played in the right tournaments). We weren't hired to do it--she was. She was blessed with a particular natural beauty and poise, and as such was hired as a representative and promoter of a brand. Her job is to get the brand exposure, and to represent them in a professional manner. It seems to me that she has been successful in fulfilling both of these things.

She is having fun competing in these tournaments. She is wanting to learn and grow from the experience of being in over her head. She is fulfilling what she was hired to do by bringing good exposure to a brand. At the end of the day I can't say I can truly find fault in any of that.

Not to mention that she is human and saying hurtful things about her (which I'm sure she reads and/or hears about) serves no purpose and isn't deserved. She knows she isn't a world beater. It would be one thing if she thought she was, then I could understand people lashing out at her. But she is just a girl that wants to get experience, improve, have fun, and as a side bonus while doing something she enjoys, get a little financial reward by delivering on a job that she was hired to do.

This is as good a post as I've seen in any of the Shannelle threads.

Bravo! Rep sent

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, Shanelle's level of play versus the players in Asia, makes her look that much more worse than if she were playing on the WPBA. Keep in mind that with the WPBA, you have a couple of handfuls of girls that play "good" and a few that play "really, really good". In the tourneys in Asia they ALL play good.

*Edit- How tough is the competition? Allison Fisher couldn't make it out of the round robin stage. She finished 4th in her group.

Eric

Last edited:

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not understand that fuzz you guys make about that lass...

Yeah, she is pretty, yeah maybe she doesn't directly play very good pool...

But as stated above form someone, she is getting money from someone to join these events, so someone will be making money from her being there...

Anybody remember Eddie the Eagle?
It WAS dangerous for him... but he stayed many years on the circus and he was known to anybody in the world... I BET he made money from being the eagle without wings...

I personally like underdogs taking their chances...

A very good frined of mine is partly disabled and he spends all the money he earns, working for a supermarket for joining Eurotour Events...
The best result he got, was a 3-7 loss, I think.
Still many people honor him for doing what he loves... Is it wise to spend money for this? YES it IS... It keeps you alife!
So if Predator or Dragon promotions or Nike make money from Shanelle being cute enough to have her on TV, be happy... she does make your cues affordable, if for her many more people see the brands!
If she is shown on TV, instead of football, be happy, we actually DO get attention!
If she sucks playing (as would I or most of you guys if you know a TV camera watching you all the time), well maybe a few more people get like the idea of shooting pool in the local hall again...
Lets be happy!
Lets cheer for this lass!

If you dislike her for her personality, do as you feel, I do not know her and I am not interested either... My wife plays pool and she is lovely herself...

But this kind of witch hunt is jsut stupid...

Btw, that other lass, she was incredible... If she plays on that level regularily, she should have a sponsor herself to send her to international events... She could make many WPA pros suffer badly...

Btw. Shanelle did not even complain or look upset about her opponent runnning rack after rack after rack.... Well THAT shows great sportsmanship...
I would love to see Jasmin in her spot after 6 racks break and run....
Her looks could turn fresh milk to old butter or so....

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really doesn't matter if she stinks or not because with the media coverage and the money she's making playing as bad as she does,why would she need to play any better?She's a success no matter how she plays!!

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

She list her self as a PRo on facebook, REALLY