If you really want to know how Shanelle Lorain plays

Gabber

Banned
She won 2 games in 3 sets at the Amway Cup. Enough said

I just read the first page of this thread and a few other replies.

Never having heard of this player before I did a google. I found this a the first page.

video

Looks to me that she has potential, despite the big tits.

She seems to be doing all the right things.

Gabber

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read the first page of this thread and a few other replies.

Never having heard of this player before I did a google. I found this a the first page.

video

Gabber

I have never seen her play, but those who have say she is a very nice person. :smile:

If she looked like a toad, she wouldn't even be worthy of mention on a pool forum. Her physical attributes seem to be more interesting than how good of a player she is. Is that because the majority of readers of this forum are male? Hmm. This might be a good topic for an AzBilliards demographic poll. :p

That said, sex sells well in the United States. We live in a capitalistic society, and anybody who has a desire to succeed should capitalize on their assets, whether it's hitting balls proficiently or showcasing one's physical attributes. Again, if she looked like a troll doll, nobody would pay her a second thought. Do you think Charlie Williams would have picked her up as part of his Dragon team if she wasn't sexually attractive?

If I looked like that, I definitely wouldn't choose pool as my career, so it must be that she genuinely does have a deep passion for pool. :cool:

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ga Young Kim likes to play in heels. She's a world class player who could mop the floor with 99 out of every 100 players on this site... While she's wearing heels.

Ms Kim put it simply, when she feels like she looks sharp, she plays sharp.

I'm not saying that's Ms Loraine's feeling on it, but while I understand the dynamics of stance, footing, and balance, I doubt that heels are at the top of the list of things to focus on.

No heels for Ga Young today

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
video

Gabber

Lol potential for what? That clip really confirms the opposite. There are hundreds of female players who play stronger than her and none of them have the potential to go anywhere professionally.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
been catching a few minutes here and there

Lol potential for what? That clip really confirms the opposite. There are hundreds of female players who play stronger than her and none of them have the potential to go anywhere professionally.

I have been watching a few minutes of the Amway Cup here and there and it is obvious that skill levels are all over the place. Some play that would be stout in any field, some awful play.I seem to have a knack for catching the last game or two of a match and saw one where the winner blanked the other player. The winner wasn't a strong "C" player according to the little bit I saw, she was awful! I hate to think how bad the lady that was blanked by her must have been.

I do get a chuckle out of the whole concept of "Professional" and Shanelle's status. Skilled or not she fits my definition of "professional pool player" far better than most people who call themselves professionals. First, she plays in world class events, something many of them never do. Second, she makes considerable dollars from her efforts in pool, again something many people who call themselves "pro's" don't do. Of course from my viewpoint the road player that makes his living from pool is far more of a professional pool player than a man that plays a few pro events a year and never cashes.

Fair or not looks count. I'm male but I still recognized from day one that not being a handsome fellow was going to hurt me in my search for a sponsor of my racing team. Likewise when I was looking to sponsor someone they had to be reasonably attractive, poised, and pleasing to the public. Shanelle has the qualities in spades and the truth is pool should be damned glad to have her involved. I do get the feeling that she is getting the gooey end of the stick being stuck out there in major events without the preparation to compete. She is either dumb as a box of rocks which I have no reason to believe or hasn't had much effective coaching from Charlie and company. Her playing form is decent, her execution somewhat lacking, and her decision making which should come from coaching and experience, terrible. I think a month spent with a good coach would increase her game tremendously.

Hu

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skilled or not she fits my definition of "professional pool player" far better than most people who call themselves professionals. First, she plays in world class events, something many of them never do. Second, she makes considerable dollars from her efforts in pool, again something many people who call themselves "pro's" don't do.

The "world class events" she competes in are open tournaments, my sister could enter and get zeroed out the way Shanelle did. And your choice of phrase is spot on when it comes to cashing...from her "efforts" in pool, NOT from actually placing in the cash.

If your definition of a professional player is someone who embarrasses herself in open tournaments, and receive a few sponsorship dollars because lookwise she's a big fish in a small pond...then you are welcome to it. Does render the word "professional" rather meaningless if you ask me. Pros make a living playing pool because they are actually GOOD at it, good enough to place in the money and win one every now and then, not pick up money for looking good at the table.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
how many Pros do you know making a living from competition?

The "world class events" she competes in are open tournaments, my sister could enter and get zeroed out the way Shanelle did. And your choice of phrase is spot on when it comes to cashing...from her "efforts" in pool, NOT from actually placing in the cash.

If your definition of a professional player is someone who embarrasses herself in open tournaments, and receive a few sponsorship dollars because lookwise she's a big fish in a small pond...then you are welcome to it. Does render the word "professional" rather meaningless if you ask me. Pros make a living playing pool because they are actually GOOD at it, good enough to place in the money and win one every now and then, not pick up money for looking good at the table.

Lets say US players and define a decent living as $36,000 dollars after pool related(business) expenses but before the taxes that a pool player is supposed to be paying. How many players in the US who define themselves as pro's make a living playing pool? I think the pro pool player group decreases by about 90%!

A professional at something makes a living at a professional activity, year in and year out. Pool isn't a professional activity and I don't see a dozen people in the US making a consistent living from competing at pool. I'm not thrilled about that but as long as it is true anybody out there competing regularly in professional events is every bit as much a pro as any other player competing in professional events.

Hu

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not thrilled about that but as long as it is true anybody out there competing regularly in professional events is every bit as much a pro as any other player competing in professional events.

Hu

Hey guess what: you've convinced me...a person can play at a D, maybe C level and be considered a pro.

I can walk into any one of hundreds of Manhattan restaurants and find waitresses who can give Shanelle the 7 out in the looks department. Hand them a pool cue and tell them Congrats, you can quit your day job, I anoint you a Professional Pool Player. Look pretty and strut around the table like you mean it.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
you are halfway there!

Hey guess what: you've convinced me...a person can play at a D, maybe C level and be considered a pro.

I can walk into any one of hundreds of Manhattan restaurants and find waitresses who can give Shanelle the 7 out in the looks department. Hand them a pool cue and tell them Congrats, you can quit your day job, I anoint you a Professional Pool Player. Look pretty and strut around the table like you mean it.

You are indeed halfway there! Now if you can afford to pay them enough to make it worth their while or find them a sponsor that will you have indeed pretty much equalled Shanelle's deal.

Hu

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Except for the part where Shanelle is a goddess and the waitresses aren't.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I seem to remember a match where Mika was blanked in the finals of the US open.

Anyone want to categorize his game by one performance?

I dont think their opinions are based on one performance by her. There are multiple videos online of her playing abilities.

Also, in Mika's case... for that one event, he made it to the finals of the US Open. So by judging by that one performance, he did beat some of the best players in the world at one of the biggest tourneys in the world to get to that one match.

Shanelle seems to just go 2 and out a lot.

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
poolplaya9 said:
she seems to be doing what we all did at one time, particularly when we were still learning. Entering events that were way over our head because we enjoyed it, and for the experience, in an attempt to get better.

poolplaya9 said:
would i personally enter an "open" tournament that regardless of the "open" name i knew was really just a pro tournament that was specifically intended for the pro level players, and that would consist almost exclusively of pro level players, and especially if it is being streamed/televised/reported on? Hell no.

??? Lol...

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
More power to her, she obviously loves the game and most of the fellas like looking at her. She carries herself well and is good for the sport. Yu Ram did not play so great at first but has turned into a real great player, maybe we might get surprised by Shanelle and she will move from a C to a B player. ;)

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are indeed halfway there! Now if you can afford to pay them enough to make it worth their while or find them a sponsor that will you have indeed pretty much equalled Shanelle's deal.

Hu

It's funny how your argument boils down to: Doesn't matter that she can't run 3 balls, Dude she's hot!!!

You can just say that plainly without rendering the word "professional" utterly meaningless. Now if I can actually afford to sponsor a player, it would go to someone who can actually play the game I love.

I'll say it again: Shanelle Lorain's performance at the Amway was an embarrassment. If she was there representing the United States, then I am embarrassed in more ways than one.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's funny how your argument boils down to: Doesn't matter that she can't run 3 balls, Dude she's hot!!!

You can just say that plainly without rendering the word "professional" utterly meaningless. Now if I can actually afford to sponsor a player, it would go to someone who can actually play the game I love.

I'll say it again: Shanelle Lorain's performance at the Amway was an embarrassment. If she was there representing the United States, then I am embarrassed in more ways than one.

Iy was an open tournament all you have to do is pay an entry, She was representing Charlie and his company, since I am sure that is how she got there.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
comprehension is your issue

Doesn't matter if she is hot or not, she is paid to play. That is the real factor that makes her a pro. She could be paid because she is hot, because she has talent, because she knows how to conduct herself in a manner appealing to the public and a sponsor, it doesn't really matter. I was going to sponsor someone years ago, basically a done deal through third parties but we hadn't got together to iron out details. They were attractive, competitive, and popular. Then they quit in the middle of a competition for no good reason and then showed their butt in another event endangering their life and the life of other competitors. The sponsorship deal went down the tubes right then and there, not who I wanted representing my business. The first incident might have been discussed and ironed out, the second one was probably enough to kill the deal by itself. It was definitely a deal breaker on top of the other incident.

I had a lady approach me seeking sponsorship. At first glance I was very interested. She was acceptably attractive, competitive, and ladies were enough of a novelty in the field to get plenty of attention. I told my wife I was considering sponsoring the lady and we went to an event to take a closer look. Much to my surprise the crowd seemed about evenly divided between liking and hating her, she engendered strong emotions in the crowd. She was also very unpopular with many of the other drivers and crews. Since many of my customers were either involved directly with the other teams or sponsoring them that sponsorship deal went away too.

Somebody that has never done anything but sit on the sidelines, never seriously sought sponsorship or seriously considered major sponsorship is pretty clueless about what is involved. If looks or "hotness" was all it took Shanelle would be only one of hundreds of sponsored ladies.

Hu