If you really want to know how Shanelle Lorain plays

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
spanky79 said:
She list her self as a PRo on facebook, REALLY

I knew somebody was going to say this in response to my post. As I recall there was some question as to whether that was even her facebook page at all, or a page created by a fan.

Regardless, there is (currently) no qualification to be a pro. Any person that plays in a pro tournament can be called a pro, or anybody else who wants to call themselves a pro for that matter. The word "pro" in reference to pool is almost meaningless. Obviously it would be nice if there were some measurable and minimum skill level required to be a pro, or if there were some other qualification system in place. There isn't. She can call herself whatever she wants, and by the (non) standards we currently have, she is a "pro". She doesn't make any claims of being able to be competitive with the other "pros" though.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She list her self as a PRo on facebook, REALLY

Seems that she makes a good deal of her income from pool the the term Pro fits. I commend her for
1) Having the balls to get in there and try which is more than I can say for the peanut gallery
2) Having grace and composure while being outplayed and decisively beaten which is more than I can say of MOST OF THE MEN PRO'S.
Funny how the women show more class than any of the men and some of the women that frequent this site or most tournaments.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah but that was against efren so that is excusible.

It was against Corey Duel. Was it excusable for Stevie Moore to go down 7-0 and 12 -2 to Shane in an alternate break format? Last I heard Stevie plays ok :rolleyes:. I'm sure any world beater posting here can get a game with him.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why everybody knocks on Shanelle so much. Does she seem to have any significant talent for the game? Nope, not as far as we can tell anyway. Is she clearly a notch or two (or three) under the competition in many or even most of the events that she plays? Yep. I don't ever recall her claiming to be as good as these other players either though.

She seems to be doing what we all did at one time, particularly when we were still learning. Entering events that were way over our head because we enjoyed it, and for the experience, in an attempt to get better. We were all once "that person". You know who I am talking about, you still see them at every single event you play in. And most of us still are "that person", or at least we would be, if we still had the guts or the desire to enter high enough level tournaments.

Would I personally enter an "open" tournament that regardless of the "open" name I knew was really just a pro tournament that was specifically intended for the pro level players, and that would consist almost exclusively of pro level players, and especially if it is being streamed/televised/reported on? Hell no. A good example would be the few average league player types that managed to get on the IPT tour a few years back. Now my personal decision would be partly out of my "respect for the tournament and the sport", but I also have to admit it is largely out of pride because I would feel like an idiot with the world seeing how out of my league I was. But if someone else isn't as scared, and doesn't let their embarrassment and pride get in the way of their wanting to gain experience and have fun, can I really fault them, particularly when we know that is their reason and not that they think they actually belong there based on their skill?

There is one other difference between Shanelle and the rest of us that are out of our league at the tournaments we play in (or that would be if we played in the right tournaments). We weren't hired to do it--she was. She was blessed with a particular natural beauty and poise, and as such was hired as a representative and promoter of a brand. Her job is to get the brand exposure, and to represent them in a professional manner. It seems to me that she has been successful in fulfilling both of these things.

She is having fun competing in these tournaments. She is wanting to learn and grow from the experience of being in over her head. She is fulfilling what she was hired to do by bringing good exposure to a brand. At the end of the day I can't say I can truly find fault in any of that.

Not to mention that she is human and saying hurtful things about her (which I'm sure she reads and/or hears about) serves no purpose and isn't deserved. She knows she isn't a world beater. It would be one thing if she thought she was, then I could understand people lashing out at her. But she is just a girl that wants to get experience, improve, have fun, and as a side bonus while doing something she enjoys, get a little financial reward by delivering on a job that she was hired to do.

Rep to you my friend.

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh thought it was Efren, even pros can have a bad day Corey probably was playing great and Mika played terrible.

I watched the Shane v Stevie match but that was different Stevie let Shane get inside his head and intimidate him early and never really had a chance to come back.

We are not really comparing Shanelle Lorain to Mika Immonen and Stevie Moore are we?

No one has compared Shanelle to any top pro female or male other than people ripping on her. Sorry but I have watched her play a little and she isn't as bad as people make it out. She is no world beater but as I understand she doesn't pretend to be either. She just jumps in and tries knowing she has the worst of it. When a gambler does this he/she is a hero but when an attractive LADY does it she is ripped.

I don't know her personally but people like her generally want to make it on their abilities than their looks. But just because they want to play great doesn't mean they will. When opportunities arise that pays the bills it's hard to turn down.

I do have a question for you and everyone else that had been hard on her. Would you or anyone else go up to her and say these things to her face?

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are wrong here.

However I have yet to see Shanelle do any wrong other than play at a level that every male pro once played under.

Are you really saying these world beaters weren't born with a shaft in one hand and balls in the other!!:rolleyes:

P.S. nice post :thumbup:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I really haven't heard anyone say anything negative personally about Shanelle or attack her on a personal level. By all accounts she's a lovely person. But I don't think it is really out of line for people to critique her play on here either. This is a pool forum and she is a pool player. She enters high profile events and engages in PPV stream matches so her play is going to get talked about. Sure we've all entered as dead money for the experience and what not, but she has put herself out there in a pretty high profile so if she doesn't back it up at the table people will discuss that. I'm sure if she ran a 6 pack at the Amway Cup we'd all be talking about that too.

Personally, I'd like to see her talent pan out. If she could become a world beater she might give the game more exposure and make every pool player more money.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They did compliment Shanelle on her "very strong opening break". She pocketed 2 or 3 balls and had a good shot on the 2.

Eric

Well, at one point they said, "this is not very polite to our guest from America. She traveled such a long way, she deserves at least a prance around the table in those high heels." Very dry Chinese humor indeed.

My feeling is that this particular match would've made anyone cannon fodder against Tsai. Having said that, does seem like Shanelle has zero business playing against real pros. As pleasing to the eye as she is, dead weight is not entertaining in a pro tournament.

Btw the commentator on the right is Fang Hsiao Lang, a former world class pro and from what I gather Tsai's coach. He used to play out of my home room in Taipei, and the guy was a zen pool master. Should've taken some lessons back then I could probably run more than 3 balls now :smile:

Last edited:

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said anything bad about her in this whole thread, the only thing i said was " Yeah but that was against efren so its a different story." talking about Mika getting blanked in the us open finals.

So you can take me out of the group that rips on shanelle.

^^ i agree with dogsplayingpool.

Fair enough and I apologize for any accusation. I believe she is put in these PPV situations because of 1) her looks and 2) her name acquired from her looks. That being said other than the few make able shots in her match at the Amway Cup what needs to be corrected to help her improve.

Not trying to make any excuses but she never had a chance against in her matches other than playing perfect. The purpose of this site is to help other players improve and push billiards forward so what would you recommend?

I'll start;
1) To much lateral movement in her elbow.
2) Needs to be more decisive if decision making
3) Do not lunge into the break, losing power

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lmao at 27:20 the guy goes, "I suggest Shanelle use up her 45 second shot clock, then call an extension...would be her only strategy to maximize face time on camera."

Other guy goes, "and I prepared all these stats and background info on Shanelle, all wasted effort"

first guy quips, "Well hurry up and give us the stats/background now, her 45 seconds is almost up!"

Throughout they were cracking jokes on how she dressed up all pretty for nothing...

Last edited:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Lmao at 27:20 the guy goes, "I suggest Shanelle use up her 45 second shot clock, then call an extension...would be her only strategy to maximize face time on camera."

Other guy goes, "and I prepared all these stats and background info on Shanelle, all wasted effort"

first guy quips, "Well hurry up and give us the stats/background now, her 45 seconds is almost up!"

Throughout they were cracking jokes on how she dressed up all pretty for nothing...

I went and listened to that. Just to put it into context, I don't think they were outright bagging on Shanelle, more like the fact that the match was 0-6, race to 7 and Shanelle was coming to the table dead hooked, with a 1-9 combo imminent, if she didn't make the kick (she didn't). I guess the context was that this might be Shanelle's last trip to the table.

Eric

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went and listened to that. Just to put it into context, I don't think they were outright bagging on Shanelle, more like the fact that the match was 0-6, race to 7 and Shanelle was coming to the table dead hooked, with a 1-9 combo imminent, if she didn't make the kick (she didn't). I guess the context was that this might be Shanelle's last trip to the table.

Eric

You're right, and in any case it was good-natured, not mean spirited. Those heels CANNOT be helping her game any, that's for sure.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player from Taiwan was a very strong player.Lorain was certainly out classed.Those heels that she was wearing may be good for image but not great for world class pool.

Ga Young Kim likes to play in heels. She's a world class player who could mop the floor with 99 out of every 100 players on this site... While she's wearing heels.

Ms Kim put it simply, when she feels like she looks sharp, she plays sharp.

I'm not saying that's Ms Loraine's feeling on it, but while I understand the dynamics of stance, footing, and balance, I doubt that heels are at the top of the list of things to focus on.