Kamui chalk

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't want to miscue in the middle of a rack, so you have to be anally distracted and make sure you pick your tip. I've used all the browns and blacks, hard to super soft. I have miscued rolling the cue ball on a soft stroke. Is the Kamui chalk the answer to this glazing?

Best,
Mike

Thats what I asked the reps at last years expo and the guy told me that they released the "gator grip" for exactly that. The gator grip is good, dont get me wrong but it's putting a bandaid on the issue of the tips glazing over. They also referred their chalk for that also, but now the chalk is known to also dry out unless you're careful. $30 chalk, $20 tip, and $30 for the gator grip....$80 for me to make sure I dont miscue often?! Sounds like a racket if you ask me.

Last edited:

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
The way I see it the kamui chalk makes such a mess all over the balls, the skid factor outweighs the miscue factor. If you use alot of center ball, even more skidding. I like the performance but i dont wanna have to constantly wipe down the cue ball.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can a piece of kamui chalk actually dry up on you? I know it's like a pasty formula, but for some reason when applying some on I actually see powder residue flying off, which puzzled me.

I intentionally took a piece of Kamui and put it in my car last summer nad baked it for about 2 months. I told John about it and IMO it was a little better-it felt better:

I love Kamui chalk and I'm a old school guy with pool gear, cues, tables, cloth (I wish we would go back to the slow cloth). I dont even like layered tips but kamui chalk is great and even better baked. I'd say it was 120-130 in my car in Vegas on the hottest days. The piece I baked i think plays better, its not as creamy when you apply it but works the same after its on. So thats what I like, it feels more like "regular" chalk when applying it but plays like kamui that hasnt been baked.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Thats what I asked the reps at last years expo and the guy told me that they released the "gator grip" for exactly that. The gator grip is good, dont get me wrong but it's putting a bandaid on the issue of the tips glazing over. They also referred their chalk for that also, but now the chalk is known to also dry out unless you're careful. $30 chalk, $20 tip, and $30 for the gator grip....$80 for me to make sure I dont miscue often?! Sounds like a racket if you ask me.

I use a Kamui soft tip and recently started using kamui chalk. I never had a problem with a miscue using master chalk/kamui tips... I still don't have a miscue problem. I chalk either every shot, or over 2-3 shots... depending on the shot. But I chalk often. I've never felt my kamui tip 'glazed' over... or really had a problem holding chalk, no matter what chalk I was using. I have a gator grip... rarely use it. I'll either scuff my tip or use the gator grip, maybe once a month... or less.

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a Kamui soft tip and recently started using kamui chalk. I never had a problem with a miscue using master chalk/kamui tips... I still don't have a miscue problem. I chalk either every shot, or over 2-3 shots... depending on the shot. But I chalk often. I've never felt my kamui tip 'glazed' over... or really had a problem holding chalk, no matter what chalk I was using. I have a gator grip... rarely use it. I'll either scuff my tip or use the gator grip, maybe once a month... or less.

Andrew, I thought using the kamui chalk I was only supposed to chalk after each rack. I seen you use it like regular master chalk every other shot when we played lol. Thats a def sure way to avoid the miscue, but at that price, if ya wanna make it last longer, not a god idea. Maybe if they knocked down the cost on those by at least half or something, maybe even a wholesale cost if you bought a whole box full. Then I wouldn't care how much I used it. A better price or something. Eventually people WILL get tired of the high cost.

deadhead

more money than sense...
Silver Member
everyone *****es about the cost.... it's the same as the gas/diesel debate, diesel costs more per gallon, but the mileage/power ratio is better with diesel, and the total driving cost is.... lower.

For me it's the same with Kamui chalk. I use up a piece of masters in a month, or a month and a half, (I know,I don't play enough...). that amounts to 10-12 cubes a year, depending on what you are using (pre-post flag.... different debate) that is up to 25.00 a year or so for chalk. I was gifted a piece of Kamui when they first came out, and I am still using this piece of chalk a little over a year later. the crazy part is, except for the cross pattern of swipes across the top, it still looks practically new. I am not sure how long it will last in the long run, but seems to me, that my yearly chalk expense has gone... Down.

as far as the tips glazing over, that is a known issue with the newer Kamui tips, and occasional scuffing will correct. not full on reshaping, just a little roughing up of the leather, (once every couple of weeks works for me...) and they will hold chalk just the same as new. as far as the miscue being center tip, more important is where and how you hit the ball, you can contact center tip without hitting center ball.......

D

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand what ur saying about the kamui chalk lasting longer. But who the hell really wants to wry about storing the chalk in a zip lock bag everytime you put it away? What if ur wrapped up in action and completely forget several times? I confirmed with some thats it's possible to dry out the texture of the chalk which is probably the most important part of it's design. I myself have a dried out one. I gotta microwave the frickin thing to keep it's consistency if I forget to store it right? It's chalk, not a tv dinner, know what I mean?

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
It's good stuff but 2 balls better?? I wish!!

I've gotta say it's really good but a couple of the claims I've read in this thread make me chuckle.. "I Play possibly 2 balls better with this chalk. Its unreal.." :p

I'd have to agree, that claim is unreal. If you believe it does, great for you! If chalk could make you shoot straighter, it would be one heck of an invention. I'm afraid that's just not going to happen but it is pretty funny.

I do really like Kamui chalk and it does cut down on chalking and miscues, I also feel it seems to allow me to grab the CB better but for me, I shoot as crooked as ever using it. YMMV

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Andrew, I thought using the kamui chalk I was only supposed to chalk after each rack. I seen you use it like regular master chalk every other shot when we played lol. Thats a def sure way to avoid the miscue, but at that price, if ya wanna make it last longer, not a god idea. Maybe if they knocked down the cost on those by at least half or something, maybe even a wholesale cost if you bought a whole box full. Then I wouldn't care how much I used it. A better price or something. Eventually people WILL get tired of the high cost.

Yea, I do chalk every shot or every other shot. I bought two cubes on december 15th. Used one until Feb 10th, it was about half way gone when I forgot it at the pool hall. I'm sure I would have got another month or so on it.

As far as cost goes, its not a lot of money... $30 every few months. Even if it was $30/month, it would be worth it to me. But its an expense pool players are not used to paying for. Chalk as always been free.

But I play better with it and its more than justified. Speaking of which, I need to order some more before I lose this last cube.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I've gotta say it's really good but a couple of the claims I've read in this thread make me chuckle.. "I Play possibly 2 balls better with this chalk. Its unreal.." :p

I'd have to agree, that claim is unreal. If you believe it does, great for you! If chalk could make you shoot straighter, it would be one heck of an invention. I'm afraid that's just not going to happen but it is pretty funny.

I do really like Kamui chalk and it does cut down on chalking and miscues, I also feel it seems to allow me to grab the CB better but for me, I shoot as crooked as ever using it. YMMV

I can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, shooting with english is much straighter than master chalk. My game has certainly improved because of this chalk. Chuckle all you want...

Bustah360

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Idk about spending $30 every other month just for chalk bro. I know this something important to us all as we all love/hate this game like addicts. Who wants to wry about miscueing when the game hard is hard enough to master right? So I get the importance, but just dont see it justifiable.

Especially if I gotta look like a dope fiend putting stuff away in a zip lock at the corner of the poolhall LMAO!