Learning CTE

Redneck Jim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
........ snip

... Follow Stan's instruction on the video, get used to holding the cue stick as he does and moving the cue stick from left to right.
When turning your upper body into the shot, this is critical. Make sure you're turning the body and not doing a
half cue stick turn, half body turn
(I was doing this which obviously causes you to be off).....

........ snip

Although your whole post was great, The tip above (in red) was golden for me. Until now I've struggled with consistancy in my shots using either
manual cte or Pro One. Most of the time my shots were going in, but every now and then I was undercutting and hitting about
1/3 diamond short on my cuts to the left. Your suggestion was one thing that I hadn't tried in attempts to track down what I was doing wrong.
Like you, I must have been doing the part body, part stick pivot some of the time.

I'm noticing a definate improvement in the consistancy of my shots after concentrating on the pivot and trying to be more robotic for now.
Hopefully it will become second nature after some more time practicing.

I would have asked for help from Stan, but didn't really know how to describe my problem and thought my pivot was OK.
I'm sure it would have been corrected immediately if Stan had seen it, but a trip to Kentucky just wasn't in the cards for me.

Thanks for helping me (and maybe some others) clear another hurdle in learning this system.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
The biggest step for me in the process was moving in on the shot. What is critical to understand is after the visuals are locked in, you are DONE with them. The visuals are used only to get your eyes in the correct position.

Once your eyes are in position, look down and focus on CCB. The actual line you are now looking down may be clear off the OB, but that does not matter! Just focus on CCB. Again, you are done with the visuals, done with CTEL, done with the OB. Focus on CCB and move straight into a 1/2 tip offset and then manually pivot, or move in with the L/R eye movement with Pro1. Shoot.

To make this completely clear, this could be done: Find the visuals. Once locked in, drop a curtain between the CB and OB. Now you are forced to use ONLY CCB to drop in, pivot, shoot.

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very good post - the only thing I would add is that we raise the curtain before pulling the trigger. Sometimes the shots may not look right - we need to get up and restart.

Cheers,
Gerry

The biggest step for me in the process was moving in on the shot. What is critical to understand is after the visuals are locked in, you are DONE with them. The visuals are used only to get your eyes in the correct position.

Once your eyes are in position, look down and focus on CCB. The actual line you are now looking down may be clear off the OB, but that does not matter! Just focus on CCB. Again, you are done with the visuals, done with CTEL, done with the OB. Focus on CCB and move straight into a 1/2 tip offset and then manually pivot, or move in with the L/R eye movement with Pro1. Shoot.

To make this completely clear, this could be done: Find the visuals. Once locked in, drop a curtain between the CB and OB. Now you are forced to use ONLY CCB to drop in, pivot, shoot.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
This is a very good post - the only thing I would add is that we raise the curtain before pulling the trigger. Sometimes the shots may not look right - we need to get up and restart.

Cheers,
Gerry

Absolutely. In reality we don't play pool with curtains, and we as humas make mistakes. If the shot doesn't look right, stand up and start over!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just wanted to thank you for this post. I tried this out yesterday, and my proficiency with Pro1 went up a few notches.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good post, Monte.

Sometimes during instruction an exaggeration of a concept is a good thing in making a point. THE CB IS THE TARGET!

Concerning dropping a curtain between a CB and OB once the visuals have been established:

An exercise like you described clearly shows that the CB is the target.

The exercise is very doable for close type shots and can be demonstrated.

In reality the movement to CCB is a VISUAL SWEEP and the eyes during that sweep to CCB do have peripheral and at times a direct visual contact with the OB.
The primary focus, though, is absolutely on the CB.

Stan Shuffett

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cheers,
Gerry

Gerry,

I decided to this try exercise today with some 1/2 table type shots. I do this occasionally.)

The CB was 2-3 diamonds away form the OB and the OB was at least 1-2 diamonds from the corner pocket.

I used A/B left alignments and a few C rights cut alignments.
Once I obtained my visuals then I completely blocked any view to the OB or the pocket.

I made about half of my shot attempts which were few in number, perhaps 8 of 16. It is tough but very doable and could be a great 5/10 minute practice session from time to time.

While running open racks of 9 ball without directly looking at the OB once I have my visuals...but no blocked view of the OB, my percentages run much higher.

Stan Shuffett

J-Flo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of spending Thursday afternoon with Stan at his home "office". Took a slight detour on the way to DCC. I had been working with Pro One for slightly over two weeks since receiving the DVD.

Stan helped me understand the visuals better, particularly CTE, edge to core. I'm not going to reveal Stan's processes here, that's up to him. However, what I will say is that Stan was able to show by example, quite conclusively that Pro One absolutely works..............

I think too many people who can't make this work are simply looking for the silver bullet and expecting this system to yield an immediate miracle. Nowhere does Stan make that promise or even imply that will be the case. I believe now Pro One will yield vastly significant positive results sooner than HAMB. But it does take table time and a commitment. I exchanged emails and phone calls with Stan multiple times between getting the DVD and taking the lesson face to face. Stan would help but also kept saying "Watch the DVD again ... and again." He was right. Every time I watched the DVD, I would pick up something subtle (in some cases, not so subtle, just previously overlooked) that would help me progress.

!
Im going to see Stan in late March. Do you think it helps or hurts by having the dvd before the lesson? Would it help to memorize the manual that is available on line?
My problem is that ive placed 12-16 2 years in a row at the state vnea tournament. Im in it to win it this year. I spent a weekend with Randy G and ive been working my ass off and now have acquired a pretty good stroke. Ive been winning a few local $5 and $10 tournaments using HAMB.
I have a lesson set up on March 29th and state tourney starts April 10th. Is that enough time to make a difference in my game? What do you think?

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im going to see Stan in late March. Do you think it helps or hurts by having the dvd before the lesson? Would it help to memorize the manual that is available on line?
My problem is that ive placed 12-16 2 years in a row at the state vnea tournament. Im in it to win it this year. I spent a weekend with Randy G and ive been working my ass off and now have acquired a pretty good stroke. Ive been winning a few local $5 and $10 tournaments using HAMB.
I have a lesson set up on March 29th and state tourney starts April 10th. Is that enough time to make a difference in my game? What do you think?

I have never recommended to anyone to schedule a lesson close to a significant event. Yes, you are close! Randyg would concur with me on this.

Now, I do get some students that are Ok with lessons close to an event and then they just put it aside. But if I were you, I'd reschedule. There are openings in April and May.

Stan Shuffett

JC

Coos Cues
One other thing I haven't seen discussed is its absolutely crucial you have gotten to a point that you have a straight repeatable stroke. If your stroke isn't straight you will have issues thinking the system isn't working.

Good Luck, and stick with it its well worth the effort.

That's a really good point. If you can't make 95% of straight in shots with the cue ball on the head string and the object ball at center table, no aiming system will fix what ails ya. No matter what you're looking at if you can't deliver the cue ball there then you're putting the cart in front of the horse.

JC

JC

Coos Cues
Pool is a perceptual/motor game. CTE PRO ONE is all about objective perceptions and a simple rotation to CCB.

CTE just happens to represent a level of visual and physical intelligence that math has not been able to touch.

I am quite proud of my work and the advancements that I have provided concerning perception and how it leads to geometric solutions.

Stan Shuffett

No one smart enough has described it mathematically yet and if they did we wouldn't understand it but rest assured, it's there. Math is everywhere and it always balances:smile:

J-Flo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never recommended to anyone to schedule a lesson close to a significant event. Yes, you are close! Randyg would concur with me on this.

Now, I do get some students that are Ok with lessons close to an event and then they just put it aside. But if I were you, I'd reschedule. There are openings in April and May.

Stan Shuffett
Stan, thanks for your concern. I can do it. I'm more focused on becoming the best player that i can be. The time frame gives me a solid two weeks to practice pro one. I'm on 3a day scedual now. I do 3 90 minuet practice sessions a day. I'm going to keep original date cause I'm going back to see Randy G in June for advanced class. I really need to be proficient by the first week of June. I'll probably order video today so i can get some idea of what is going on. I can do it.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one smart enough has described it mathematically yet and if they did we wouldn't understand it but rest assured, it's there. Math is everywhere and it always balances:smile:

Good post, JC.

CTE PRO ONE is extremely perceptual in nature and based on the objective aspects of a CB/OB.

Thus far the perceptual aspects of CTE can be described but you are correct in that math does not have the solution, yet. I think that the math behind it might emerge one day but I would I not bet that I would live to see it.

Vision and math represent 2 completely different intelligences. There are overlaps between the 2 domains but each is king in its own way.

Stan Shuffett

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan, thanks for your concern. I can do it. I'm more focused on becoming the best player that i can be. The time frame gives me a solid two weeks to practice pro one. I'm on 3a day scedual now. I do 3 90 minuet practice sessions a day. I'm going to keep original date cause I'm going back to see Randy G in June for advanced class. I really need to be proficient by the first week of June. I'll probably order video today so i can get some idea of what is going on. I can do it.

That a good attitude. It seems as though you a proper perspective.

I see lots of players that go right out the door using the system successfully.

Stan Shuffett