Pool Sharks in Vegas is Closing

Teacherman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been to a bars with sand volleyball pits. Volleyball doesn't seem to be suffering because of it, I believe it's still an Olympic sport and played at just about every level of education.
I know it's your opinion, and you're very steadfast in your belief, but I think you're wrong

Next time I recommend you engage the brain before the mouthpiece. Would you like to reconsider....or should I proceed to point out that the volleyball bars analogy SUPPORTS ME NOT YOU.

Most every bar does not have a volleyball court.....like....most every bar has a pool table. A volleyball bar is making a business out of the sport....just like a pool room.

The volleyball bars resemble POOL ROOMS.....not bars. In fact, in any given area, the number of volleyball bars will resemble the number of POOL ROOMS.....NOT....the total number of bars. In my area of roughly 3,000,000 people....there are a handful of volleyball bars.....but 100's if not 1000's of regular bars.

You remind me of the college business professor who has never owned a business.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Bar owners learn what a Tue night pool league team or two can do for their slow night. Bars all across town learn the same thing. So.....they give the pool away free.....give the first drink free. Pay their league fees.....all for that bar tab. To get the team to play in their place. And the game goes right down the shit ter They only have a 2000 sq ft nut. Makes financial sense to them.

Ruins the sport....as follows...

Free means it has no value
Computer generated handicaps are never accurate
Managing your handicap is more important than improvement.
League owners make HUGE profits. Reinvest little to nothing.

Tell me....why isn't there an APA funded professional tour?

Because they have no interest in what is right for the sport.

It isn't because they lack money

Will the Billiard Rooms ever unite and take our sport back?

Bar owners don't do anything unless it makes them money. They may open pool tables for leagues or give away a round of drinks but they wouldn't do any of that if there wasn't some kind of pay off.
As for the APA, sponsoring a tour or a tour event would cost money. You can bet if the APA thought they could make a healthy profit doing it they would absolutely invest in a pro event. It's probably safe to say they have looked into it and there isn't enough benefit to off set the cost.
Same as pool hall owners or event sponsors, they don't host or sponsor out of the goodness of their heart, they do it so they can make a profit.
Even if the room owners got together, I doubt that there enough of them to make a difference and I bet none that are willing sacrifice their profit or business just for the good of the game

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
Was in vegas about 3 months back no surprise that pool sharks going out of buisness stopped there to play weekly tournament told I wasn't allowed to play cause nobody new me I said its vegas how many people walk in on a weekly basis nobody here nows do they all get turned away I was rudely told if I didn't like it leave so I did went to Ted G place good timez bye far the players pool hall in vegas now thanks Ted for your hospitality and smoke free facility

Buh bye Pool Sharks! I feel the same way. Lotsa gang members, obvious drug use, too much smoke and an unwelcoming environment.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Next time I recommend you engage the brain before the mouthpiece. Would you like to reconsider....or should I proceed to point out that the volleyball bars analogy SUPPORTS ME NOT YOU.

Most every bar does not have a volleyball court.....like....most every bar has a pool table. A volleyball bar is making a business out of the sport....just like a pool room.

The volleyball bars resemble POOL ROOMS.....not bars. In fact, in any given area, the number of volleyball bars will resemble the number of POOL ROOMS.....NOT....the total number of bars. In my area of roughly 3,000,000 people....there are a handful of volleyball bars.....but 100's if not 1000's of regular bars.

You remind me of the college business professor who has never owned a business.

*yawn*...... yeah, you're right and I'm wrong. There, feel better?
Hoping for a successful event there in APA City USA?
With your engaging personality and overly friendly disposition (especially if you're honest with the APA population there) I'm sure you'll sell at least five admissions, unless your mom is working that day.

** you crack me up

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
When will the industry learn that bar leagues are killing the sport.

Then why would Pool Sharks be closing, they have quite a few Diamond bar tables, about 10 or so, last time I was there, and are involved in the bar leagues. The problem is with the smoking laws that were passed, serve food, no smoking allowed, and minors can come in. Don't serve food, and you don't fall under the restaurant rules and your customers don't have to go outside to smoke....damn if you do, damn if you don't, AND slot machines require customers in order to make any money. I was going to happen sooner or later, you can't keep a pool room open today working with last year's business plan....sorry.

jwh1942

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David,
First off, props to your post in general. One point I'd like to make about the snooker club in Ireland is that all through Ireland and the rest of the UK there are many betting parlors where bets are placed on snooker, horse racing, football, lottery, etc. Every town has them, it's huge money. If you get a chance look up the prize money for snooker and be prepared to be amazed. There's no comparison to pool here as far as prize money. I'm sure the same thing exists in other parts of Europe but I've been blown away on many trips to Ireland visiting my wife's family.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Business's come and go and Pool Sharks had a long run. The reality for years has been the decline of the poolroom business, with hundreds closing across the country during the last ten years. You can pick anyone or anything you want to blame it on and it really doesn't matter. Like so many things the popularity of a night out playing pool has diminished significantly, just like bowling and golf have been on the decline.

People today have many choices of interesting activities they can partake in the comfort of their home; the internet and a zillion cable TV channels (plus a 60" screen) only two of them. It's far less expensive to be entertained at home then it is to have an evening out. Even many high end restaurants have closed during the last decade. People are a lot more careful about how they spend their money today with so much uncertainty about the economy, understandably so.

I have seen so many ups and downs in the pool world during the last forty odd years that nothing surprises me anymore. I still think a well run pool oriented business can make it, best evidenced by the rooms that are still thriving. Any small business is a challenge today, not just a poolroom. And that's a fact Jack! :smile:

P.S. The home pool table market is still intact. Once again it's something that people can do in the comfort of their home. It's rare that you see the inside of a high end home without a pool table or billiard room. All the celebs and athletes have them.

Last edited:

Banks

Banned
Business's come and go and Pool Sharks had a long run. The reality for years has been the decline of the poolroom business, with hundreds closing across the country during the last ten years. You can pick anyone or anything you want to blame it on and it really doesn't matter. Like so many things the popularity of a night out playing pool has diminished significantly, just like bowling and golf have been on the decline.

People today have many choices of interesting activities they can partake in the comfort of their home; the internet and a zillion cable TV channels (plus a 60" screen) only two of them. It's far less expensive to be entertained at home then it is to have an evening out. Even many high end restaurants have closed during the last decade. People are a lot more careful about how they spend their money today with so much uncertainty about the economy, understandably so.

I have seen so many ups and downs in the pool world during the last forty odd years that nothing surprises me anymore. I still think a well run pool oriented business can make it, best evidenced by the rooms that are still thriving. Any small business is a challenge today, not just a poolroom. And that's a fact Jack! :smile:

P.S. The home pool table market is still intact. Once again it's something that people can do in the comfort of their home. It's rare that you see the inside of a high end home without a pool table or billiard room. All the celebs and athletes have them.

Pool is doing just fine. Pool halls, not so much. Like you say, it's a business and many just don't have the knowledge or ability to do it right. That's where my business comes in. ;)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

P.S. The home pool table market is still intact.
Once again it's something that people can do in the comfort of their home. It's rare that you see the inside of a high end home without a pool table or billiard room. All the celebs and athletes have them.
That market is ruined Jay.
Too many imported tables that warp . It killed that market . People buy tables then they start warping and the dealers can't fix them.
Check Craigslist. Way too many imported tables being dumped there.
The people that dump them, would probably not buy another table .

Any small retail business is tough business these days. You are right .
Don't buy a pizza franchise . You'd go nuts. The same with 7-11.
You might as well start a taco stand.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
plus most pool room owners are not good business people. few rooms ever do anything for the players other than hand out the balls to them. little advertising or improving food or drinks.
tables are filthy and the owner or worker is sitting on his butt watching tv.

no trying to arrange the players to be there all at the same time with some incentive and start action in some way.

there are so many ways of bringing in customers to a place if you will get up and do it.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I can't agree more with this. It's spot on.

Do the math. What's the rent per square foot in your area? How many square feet does a pool table use? How much are wages per employee? Insurance? Try to make it work without alcohol, you would be surprised at how tight the margin is.

League players drink, pool players don't. Ever go to a place that has dart leagues? It's a money maker per square foot, the pool table area is a drain on resources if it's a true shooters room.

I've ran the math because I want something to do when I retire in a few years. I would like a clean place with good equipment that all ages could enjoy. I would have to own the building and hope to break even on costs if it was just a pool room, no alcohol and no smoking. Even with alcohol, the proffitt is not that great if you could get people in the doors. I would have to be able to buy the property and expect zero income for my time and effort.

APA leagues are keeping the lights on. If you have a better or innovative biz idea, I would love to hear it. Until pool goes mainstream and attracts upper middle income instead of lower middle income, pool halls will continue to decline. That's why the smoking laws affected pool so harshly. The lower the income level, the higher the probability to become a smoker. I, like most others, I started playing AND smoking in a bar, that sells cheap drinks, with one table in the corner. Put your quarter up and wait your turn. This is not an upper middle income sport. It's what I could afford to do on my offtime. Sailor's aren't rich especially one that grew up on Army bases to begin with. But it does attract the people that I grew up with, my class of people.

I worked hard and got some good rolls in life, I wouldn't mind giving back. I believe it would be a good time but, the math has to add up on a sound biz plan or it would be foolish waste of time.

Someone here has an plan that'll work. Let's here some innovative stuff from the scufflers out there.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
*yawn*...... yeah, you're right and I'm wrong. There, feel better?

Hoping for a successful event there in APA City USA?

With your engaging personality and overly friendly disposition (especially if you're honest with the APA population there) I'm sure you'll sell at least five admissions, unless your mom is working that day.

** you crack me up

He owns a room, promotes the sport, provides free streams and cares about the game. Yet you insult him?

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sense

The most hurtful thing that happened to pool is the APA.

Don't get snowed by their numbers. The APA and other bar leagues....are the main groups responsible for pool's status.

Don't believe me? Go to a league event that attracts several teams. What do you see?

I'll tell you what you see.....you see the exact reason why your neighbor will leave home with his golf bag over his shoulder but never with his pool cue.

This all makes a lot of sense.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
"Bar leagues as a farm system for pool"....sorry but that is poppeycock.
Sorry, but I've seen it happening for years here at my home room and have talked to other owners about it too (you might try that sometime). Leagues can improve pool room business if pool rooms embrace it. The worst attitude (not to mention personality) they could have is yours.

pj
chgo

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member

Generaly pool halls are small business, I agree 100% Jay. The pool halls that thrive in my area are doing well because of the food service they provide and the large APA league that has a presence almost every day of the week. Take out the great food and the league players don't want to play there, take out the league and there's no one there to enjoy the great food. You need to provide a great service beyond the table time or you will at best tread water in the industry.

Teacherman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but I've seen it happening for years here at my home room and have talked to other owners about it too (you might try that sometime). Leagues can improve pool room business if pool rooms embrace it. The worst attitude (not to mention personality) they could have is yours.

pj
chgo

If there was evidence that you had read my posts, I would respond. But....I'll stick by my latest....

I know better than to get into a discussion with the disadvantaged.

I really do.