Texas BCAPL State Tournament - Harker Heights, Tx 12-15 Mar 2009

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Answer Is

Put_upor_shutup said:
If I was to do good in this would they then make me play in the masters in vegas?????

No.

If you are on the Top 16 list...it means you have to play in the Master Div at state. That way the Master Div gets some more players and the open can have a chance at new winners.

Also if you did well this year, you play in Masters at state next year.

None of this has anything to do with teams or Vegas. You have to do well in Vegas to become listed as a Master

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
Hey Steve, can I play in the Open and Seniors.

Also what about Teams with masters on them? Our team we have 4 masters on it.

Can you give me a physical address for the E-Center so I can get a hotel close.

Thanks,
Charlie

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ne14tennis said:
No.

If you are on the Top 16 list...it means you have to play in the Master Div at state. That way the Master Div gets some more players and the open can have a chance at new winners.

Also if you did well this year, you play in Masters at state next year.

None of this has anything to do with teams or Vegas. You have to do well in Vegas to become listed as a Master

That's not necessarily true. I have heard of many instances where players get moved up to Masters because they won singles BCA events prior to going to Vegas that year. It doesn't happen all the time but I do know a few personally that had that happen to them.

Do the top 16 in the women's from 2008 still get to play in the Women's Open this year, since there is no Women's Masters division?

I can't wait until state. I love this tournament every year.

mandersotx

"Show Me the Moni"
Silver Member
2008 BCA State Top 16 Men's Open Division

I see the 2008 Top 16 Men's Open Division finishers are posted on the
www.sw8ball.org website.

I can talk with Tabor and get full confirmation on the following:
1) There is no Scotch Doubles event at this BCA State Tournament
2) Papa Red - I'm pretty sure you will have to either play in Seniors Singles or the Men's Open Singles....not both :wink: .
3) There is not a Top 16 Women's Open Division finishers from 2008 BCA State so you should be good to go for Women's Open singles, Cristina..:grin:
4) For teams, it will more than likely be the same as last year, where one master player is allowed to play on an open team.

I posted the forms, flyer and top 15 men's list on the website and will validate with Tabor on the above information.

Toodle-loo,
Monica

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One Question At A Time

Papa Red said:
Hey Steve, can I play in the Open and Seniors.

Also what about Teams with masters on them? Our team we have 4 masters on it.

Can you give me a physical address for the E-Center so I can get a hotel close.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie,
I'm sure you will be permitted to play Open and Seniors, but you will have to work that out with the TD. Obviously if they have the number of singles this year they did last year...it gets hard to juggle players wanting to play in multiple divisions.

I believe the limit, since they are not doing Master Teams, is one master per team.

Best bet is contact the TD's since their word is final

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

mandersotx said:
I see the 2008 Top 16 Men's Open Division finishers are posted on the
www.sw8ball.org website.

I can talk with Tabor and get full confirmation on the following:
2) Papa Red - I'm pretty sure you will have to either play in Seniors Singles or the Men's Open Singles....not both :wink: .
3) There is not a Top 16 Women's Open Division finishers from 2008 BCA State so you should be good to go for Women's Open singles, Cristina..:grin:
4) For teams, it will more than likely be the same as last year, where one master player is allowed to play on an open team.

I posted the forms, flyer and top 15 men's list on the website and will validate with Tabor on the above information.

Toodle-loo,
Monica

Thanks Monica, I'm sure between a few of us....every question should be able to be answered

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CrisDeLaGarza said:
That's not necessarily true. I have heard of many instances where players get moved up to Masters because they won singles BCA events prior to going to Vegas that year. It doesn't happen all the time but I do know a few personally that had that happen to them.

Do the top 16 in the women's from 2008 still get to play in the Women's Open this year, since there is no Women's Masters division?

I can't wait until state. I love this tournament every year.

You're right Chris, in fact Bill Stock and I were talking about BOKA (Based On Known Ability) and how someone can and has been raised up based on reports of tournaments and such.

Just because someone flies under the radar and loses at a certain point, or wins non sanctioned tournaments doesn't mean they can't get raised.

mandersotx

"Show Me the Moni"
Silver Member
Confirmation of questions regarding 2009 BCA Texas State event at Harker Heights

I did talk with Robert Tabor and validated the following:

2) PapaRed - A qualified player can either play in the Senior Singles or the Men's Open Singles....not both. One singles event per person!

3) There is not a Top 16 Women's Open Division finishers list from 2008 BCA State. So if you finished in the Top 16 of the Women's Open Singles event in 2008, you can still play in the 2009 Women's Open Singles event.

4) For mixed open and women's open teams, you are allowed to only have one (1) master player on the roster. For any trophy team, there is no master player allowed.

Also in reference to the 2008 BCA State Men's Top 16 Open Division finishers list, you are eligible to play on a mixed open NOT as a master player. This particular master player status is for the 2009 BCA Texas State Men's Master singles eligibility only.

Also remember you must have 4 weeks of league play from a BCA sanctioned league in Texas from near Fall 2008 up to March 12, 2009. Make sure to check with your league operator for eligibility.

You can also contact Robert Tabor at admin@sw8ball.org or check his website at www.sw8ball.org for more contact information.

Hope this helps.

Toodle-loo,
Monica

Last edited:

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correction

mandersotx said:
I did talk with Robert Tabor and validated the following:

2) PapaRed - A qualified player can either play in the Senior Singles or the Men's Open Singles....not both. One singles event per person!

3) There is not a Top 16 Women's Open Division finishers list from 2008 BCA State. So if you finished in the Top 16 of the Women's Open Singles event in 2008, you can still play in the 2009 Women's Open Singles event.

4) For mixed open and women's open teams, you are allowed to only have one (1) master player on the roster. For any trophy team, there is no master player allowed.

Also in reference to the 2008 BCA State Men's Top 16 Open Division finishers list, you are eligible to play on a mixed open NOT as a master player. This particular master player status is for the 2009 BCA Texas State Men's Master singles eligibility only.

Also remember you must have 6 weeks of league play from a BCA sanctioned league in Texas from near Fall 2008 up to March 12, 2009. Make sure to check with your league operator for eligibility.

You can also contact Robert Tabor at admin@sw8ball.org or check his website at www.sw8ball.org for more contact information.

Hope this helps.

Toodle-loo,
Monica

Correction, the requirements are as follows:

4 Weeks - TX BCAPL State
6 Weeks - TX SWEL State
8 Weeks - BCAPL Nationals (Vegas)

Play must have occurred after 1 June 2008 since the BCAPL year runs 1 Jun to 31 may

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same League

Put_upor_shutup said:
How does the teams work...Do we have to play in the same league or do we have to play on the same team already???

In order to put a team together, they all have to be from the same league.

I don't think that a "same team" requirement exists for state. For Vegas you have to have 3 players that have all played for the same time for at least 8 weeks.

I rack balls

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awwwwwwwwww!

I don't want to sound bitter here but unless there is added money to the masters I doubt the turnout will be much stronger than last year. Even if it does increase I can't justify leaving work for 3 days for a 20 man tournament.

On a different note maybe making the masters a triple elimination tournament will attract more players. :thumbup:

Anywho I will be there for teams......

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheese?

I rack balls said:
Awwwwwwwwww!

I don't want to sound bitter here but unless there is added money to the masters I doubt the turnout will be much stronger than last year. Even if it does increase I can't justify leaving work for 3 days for a 20 man tournament.

On a different note maybe making the masters a triple elimination tournament will attract more players. :thumbup:

Anywho I will be there for teams......

Eric,

You want cheese with that wine :thumbup: Just kidding

I understand what you're saying.

Based on the number of players they had last year, if they get enough to hold the Master Div there probably will be added money....I don't know. Last year had like what....3 players? Al Mason, Cory Anderson and Robert Clark...I think?

The only way to expand the Master division is make top finishers move up. You do so well in the open, next year play in the Master Div or sit out. That's how Vegas does it.

This is just my personal opinion, but if it's money you're thinking about.......dude! People play BCAPL, ACS, APA etc., etc... for the fun and chance to say they won a state/league championship. Money is nice of course, but if it's the first consideration, then playing on a money tour is probably the way to go.

Last edited:

I rack balls

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ne14tennis said:
Eric,
You want cheese with that wine Just kidding

This is just my personal opinion, but if it's money you're thinking about.......dude! People play BCAPL, ACS, APA etc., etc... for the fun and chance to say they won a state/league championship. Money is nice of course, but if it's the first consideration, then playing on a money tour is probably the way to go.

You got any mild cheddar and possibly some bread???

THOSE don't even pay much anymore, TABC!!!!
The only way to make some cheese in this game is to be a full time gambler or top 20 in the world haha.

Trying to work my way through a 200+ man field that is fun!

So how is this +16 going to work short term and long term?

This is how I see things. Now that I have a job :grin-square: , all I really care about is a tournament to play in with a big turnout.

If the intention is to build another division then a larger amount of people are going to have to be moved up initially. This will create 2 tournaments of good size to play in. This will help both tournaments grow. More of the master players will show up because there will actually be a tournament worth traveling for. More people have a better chance at the Open event that didn't before. From this point a balance of players moving up and down based on the finish in that years tournament can be worked out.

I agree that there does need to be 2 divisions. The same people have finished high the last few years. To make it "fair" let the players know before the tournament that a high finish will bump them up. I don't see how 16 is going to make much of an impact on either division. All it did for me is take one of the highlights of my year off the calendar :sorry:

Well thats all I have to say about that. Hope the tournament keeps going strong.

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clarification For Master Div

I rack balls said:
You got any mild cheddar and possibly some bread???

THOSE don't even pay much anymore, TABC!!!!
The only way to make some cheese in this game is to be a full time gambler or top 20 in the world haha.

Trying to work my way through a 200+ man field that is fun!

So how is this +16 going to work short term and long term?

This is how I see things. Now that I have a job :grin-square: , all I really care about is a tournament to play in with a big turnout.

If the intention is to build another division then a larger amount of people are going to have to be moved up initially. This will create 2 tournaments of good size to play in. This will help both tournaments grow. More of the master players will show up because there will actually be a tournament worth traveling for. More people have a better chance at the Open event that didn't before. From this point a balance of players moving up and down based on the finish in that years tournament can be worked out.

I agree that there does need to be 2 divisions. The same people have finished high the last few years. To make it "fair" let the players know before the tournament that a high finish will bump them up. I don't see how 16 is going to make much of an impact on either division. All it did for me is take one of the highlights of my year off the calendar :sorry:

Well thats all I have to say about that. Hope the tournament keeps going strong.

After consulting with the TD's, the format for Master Div Singles is as follows:

As you know the top 16 from last year and any current Master players will have to play in the Master Div to play singles.

The rules will mimick the same as Vegas

Any player from the top 16 who thinks that they will be able to sit out this year and come back to the open will be disappointed.

The requirement for anyone meeting the State Master Div will be: You must play in the Master Div 2 years without cashing in order to move back down to the Open. Sitting out of singles will NOT meet the requirement.

This year, there will be over 16 ready for master. next year should have over 32 etc., etc...

It's the only way to grow the Master Div and make the Open Div more competative

Dragon Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Singles duration

Quick question. Singles start on the 12th. When do you expect it to finish?

Forgive me, if this question has been asked already.

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 Days

Dragon Cue said:
Quick question. Singles start on the 12th. When do you expect it to finish?

Forgive me, if this question has been asked already.

Sang,

Singles are over by Friday night, or in a case where there are delays or something unexpected.....I have seen the finals played early Saturday morning.

I think one year, the singles were played at 7:30 or 8 so that the teams could start at 9