The APA 9 ball team CHAMPIONS disqualified

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get how a team can even smile about winning when they know they cheated to do it.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
funny too...notice how there is only seven players in the pic? they left out the 8th guy because they didnt want his picture out there with the name of a the actual player he was suppose to be.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
BCAPL disqualified the top two finishers in the Open Eight Ball singles event last year. Once the decision was made, a revised payout was posted on the BCAPL website and here at AZ. Can't imagine a more open way to show the money ($18,000) being returned to some of the remaining players.

Watching to see what, if anything, the APA will do if this situation described by the OP is true. If APA can not force the return of the prize moneys distributed to the team, they should pay the offended teams the equivalent amount by percentage. The captain and / or co-captain of the team should be banned for life. They knew they were cheating and obviously didn't care! Sorry, whoops doesn't work here.

Lyn

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCAPL disqualified the top two finishers in the Open Eight Ball singles event last year. Once the decision was made, a revised payout was posted on the BCAPL website and here at AZ. Can't imagine a more open way to show the money ($18,000) being returned to some of the remaining players.

Watching to see what, if anything, the APA will do if this situation described by the OP is true. If APA can not force the return of the prize moneys distributed to the team, they should pay the offended teams the equivalent amount by percentage. The captain and / or co-captain of the team should be banned for life. They knew they were cheating and obviously didn't care! Sorry, whoops doesn't work here.

Lyn

Whoops, has worked for 33 years.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
was this at the nationals ? either way first thing the team (all players ) should be banned for 2 years ,usually thats what happens for all disqualified teams . good luck to the apa getting the money back lol. if it was at the nationals , usually the apa invites any team the disqualified team
beat to the following years nationals but you have to pay your expenses to get there but have a chance at playing and winning money is the only plus.

Banned for 2 years? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! They should be banned for life! If the pool community is worth its weight in chalk, each and every player on this roster should never be allowed to compete in an APA, BCA, VNEA, ACS event again in their lives. This isn't questionable sandbagging we're talking about. This was a deliberate attempt to commit fraud and compromise the integrity of amateur pool.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Whoops, has worked for 33 years.

Dennis,

You are correct. Whoops has worked for way too many years. At least the BCAPL did something about it last year. My guess is others who wish to mis-represent themselves at these national events will at least think twice.

In the BCAPL team event, they allow a team to be formed around a core of two original players. The other six players must come from the same original team or from the same league sanction number. Of course no handicap is involved so each team captain tries to put together the strongest team they can. Within the rules of course. No ID is required till payout. No photo ID, no payout!

Does the APA offer payment to the winning teams by check or cash? I was required to fill out a 1099 before I received a check from BCAPL last year for my share of the team event. If the APA has the same payout structure and 1099 requirements, the person in question must have presented the fake ID to get their money as well. If the check was made out to the captain, the captain is responsible and APA should go after that person for fraud.

The whoops stops here!

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Banned for 2 years? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! They should be banned for life! If the pool community is worth its weight in chalk, each and every player on this roster should never be allowed to compete in an APA, BCA, VNEA, ACS event again in their lives. This isn't questionable sandbagging we're talking about. This was a deliberate attempt to commit fraud and compromise the integrity of amateur pool.

Tap, tap, tap!!!

Lyn

JC

Coos Cues

Lyn

My recollection was that the BCA disqualified the Taiwanese prior to paying them. Once the money changes hands it becomes so much harder. 7 active players there and they felt that they had to cheat? That's about as low as it gets.

JC

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Looking forward to an official APA announcement, with full details and the penalties imposed. As Jude pointed out, this is a perfect opportunity for leagues and tournament to show solidarity and send a positive message, reciprocal banning as justification to protect their players from cheaters.

Tap, tap, tap!!!

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
My recollection was that the BCA disqualified the Taiwanese prior to paying them. Once the money changes hands it becomes so much harder. 7 active players there and they felt that they had to cheat? That's about as low as it gets.

JC

My understanding is the league director "misunderstood" the American description of what an "Open" player was. In Taiwan, the two guys were "Open" players. The Taiwanese definition of an "Open" player is one who is not an top ranked touring professional and allowed to play in "Open" events. Not absolutely sure so someone more expert should jump in. Ours is quite different of course. The BCAPL did give the two players $5000 for their expenses attending the event. They went on to help win the Advanced Team event as well.

Not sure if you can blame the two players. Do you blame the league director? Sure can't blame the BCAPL. They did the right thing. My view is they should have an International league championship along with the current event. Let Spain, Portugal, United Kingdom, Taiwan and this year perhaps Australia battle it out. Personally have no problem with a shared championship with our neighbors to the North. JMHO.

Lyn

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My understanding is the league director "misunderstood" the American description of what an "Open" player was. In Taiwan, the two guys were "Open" players. The Taiwanese definition of an "Open" player is one who is not an top ranked touring professional and allowed to play in "Open" events. Not absolutely sure so someone more expert should jump in. Ours is quite different of course. The BCAPL did give the two players $5000 for their expenses attending the event. They went on to help win the Advanced Team event as well.

Not sure if you can blame the two players. Do you blame the league director? Sure can't blame the BCAPL. They did the right thing. My view is they should have an International league championship along with the current event. Let Spain, Portugal, United Kingdom, Taiwan and this year perhaps Australia battle it out. Personally have no problem with a shared championship with our neighbors to the North. JMHO.

Lyn

Yeah, the BCA Open event has different issues. Nobody is sandbagging or making roster moves with fake IDs. The great BCA issue is trying to define who should be allowed to play and who shouldn't. You can't sandbag. In order to get anywhere in the BCA Open, you have to play top speed. With that said, the BCA issue and this APA issue are entirely different beasts. You can say with the Taiwanese players that there was a bit of a misunderstanding. With this APA team, there was clear intent to commit fraud. It's unethical, it's unsportsmanlike, it's criminal!

Standbykid

Results or excuses?
Silver Member
Imo, if you disqualify a team in the money, each team below that team moves up one spot in the payout and the team that busted on the money bubble is now in the money. That's how it is handled in poker and it seems fair to me.

Ditto. It rights the wrong, to me.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agreed...lifetime ban for all affiliated leagues.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
With this APA team, there was clear intent to commit fraud. It's unethical, it's unsportsmanlike, it's criminal!

Absolutely. Especially if the questioned player presented a fake ID to get paid! We can only sit and wait now. Judging from the APA's reaction to the continuous complaints about the playing conditions at Nationals, I'm not holding my breath!

Lyn

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So they cheated to win what, $1000 to $2000? Sad to know what these scumbags' integrity is valued at.

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the runners up should get the money. ok donating is nice, but its all tax deductable so apa gets out ahead really..imo

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
New team name

The name of that team should be

"Integrity for Sale....Cheap"

hon400ex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that winners received about 10,000. I think the APA should consider pressing charges for fraud, especially if they presented a fake ID.