TJ Davis...Dallas Texas

OnePocketChamp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TJ factor and it's effect on pool

TJ is without a doubt a great player, that is a given but that is where my respect for him ends. I learned at an early age from my father that whether you win or lose you do both with style and grace. TJ does neither very well, I wish this weren't true because a player with this much talent would be very good for the growth of pool. I know he didn't "sign up" as the poster boy for the DFW pool scene and that certainly is his choice, I just wish he could learn to tone down his "jerk factor" and maybe by doing so it would help promote this game of pool that I love so......

My 2 cents worth

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in 2002 or 2003, I was running a tournament in north Houston and TJ had put his money up. He got to the match that would put him in the money against one of Javier Franco's friends. The guy beat TJ fair and square and TJ just lost it. He started heading for the door and whipped around and challenged "any of you mother f'ers the 7 out!" Javier started to stand up and take him up, but TJ had already bounced himself out of the place. That's the only time I've ever seen him play.

Hustler08

'' Dallas Kid ''
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:
Back in 2002 or 2003, I was running a tournament in north Houston and TJ had put his money up. He got to the match that would put him in the money against one of Javier Franco's friends. The guy beat TJ fair and square and TJ just lost it. He started heading for the door and whipped around and challenged "any of you mother f'ers the 7 out!" Javier started to stand up and take him up, but TJ had already bounced himself out of the place. That's the only time I've ever seen him play.

Lol sounds about right... TJ just put a tip on for me couple days ago at Hawleys, hes not bad at cue repair :cool:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A man told me he used to back TJ.Set up a game 200miles away drive there walk in the door owner says you are barred for life gtf out don't ever come back.Backer was mad as hell says why drive here when you can't play!He added to TJ's credit TJ wouldn't gamble if he didn't feel right,it might piss you off to go somewhere for action only to have player say ixnay ,but in retrospec probably saved the bread.Also as MckinneyMiner posted TJ did evaluate others skill level pretty good.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
kilojo420 said:
Does anybody know the answer to this?

Joey on a 9-foot table I'm certain, in both 9-ball and 1-pocket, but 8-ball might go to TJ.

I'm not sure about a bar table though.

I've never seen them play each other or be in the same poolhall either.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samiel said:
Joey on a 9-foot table I'm certain, in both 9-ball and 1-pocket, but 8-ball might go to TJ.

I'm not sure about a bar table though.

I've never seen them play each other or be in the same poolhall either.

I think Joey gets the nod on all tables and all games. Tj plays pretty good, but far from unbeatable.

ALLENJK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
I think Joey gets the nod on all tables and all games. Tj plays pretty good, but far from unbeatable.

I have to agree for a few reasons. Joey is used to playing true competition for the $$$ and he will not fall into TJ's b##s##t. Not to mention he can play a little too.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I'm still not sure about 8-ball though. TJ may have more knowledge of that particular game than Joey.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samiel said:
I'm still not sure about 8-ball though. TJ may have more knowledge of that particular game than Joey.

We all have opinions Bud. IMO, Joey is a notch above TJ. He has far more Heart.

Last edited:

Joseph Ortega

Daddy's little girl
Silver Member
ironman said:
We all have opinioons Bud. IMO, Joey is a notch above TJ. He has far more Heart.
I have said it before and ill say it again, Joey is my favorite player. Sure hes not the best at any game but he was the first real player i saw in action and he has the heart of a lion.

He has no quit in him......his backers however are a different story.

plane_o

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many years ago T.J. & Joey matched up at Rustys in Arlington on the front 9' gold crown. T.J. won the first set. I think it was for $1200. He quickly asked his backer for his share and hit the door. Both backers and Joey wanted to play more.....

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I was living in Oklahoma City TJ and Coy Lee Nicholson came to town and they both tried a guy named James and neither of them liked the action but I would say that TJ and Coy Lee both took their beatings and went on their way with zero woofing or poor sportsmanship.

-don

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thecoats said:
When I was living in Oklahoma City TJ and Coy Lee Nicholson came to town and they both tried a guy named James and neither of them liked the action bBut they But I would say that TJ and Coy Lee both took their beatings and went on their way with zero woofing or poor sportsmanship.

-don

What could they say? They were both clearly out classed. But they are not the first to go through that with James.

Last edited:

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
maybe a reason

Its probably a good bet that folks act better when they are on strange turf...especially if you want to be able to drive home the same way you came.

TJ offers every banger the 6 out when he's pissed. Everyone else the 7 out. I am a banger, but he hasn't offered the 6 lately...am I getting better ? Don't answer that :D

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is he improving?

So is TJ's attitude or his play improving, or both? Turns out he won the Lonestar Open last weekend, beating our own Gene Albrecht.
http://www.lonestarbilliardstour.com/
I'd be curious to hear from Gene how TJ plays?
And I'm wondering when the next Joey Barnes v. TJ Davis match up will occur?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Of course there are better players than TJ...

TJ gets in games where he has the best of it...

He's smart and almost impossible to trap.

I never said he was the best player in the world, only that he plays damn good and matches up very well.

He's old school....

Johnk78

Registered
This definently sparked my curiousity. Did T.J. and C.J. ever match up considering they are in the same area? Any stories?

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious as well

I was curious about that too, though I figured CJ was in a different class altogether? Maybe a DFW open with the top 16 players would draw some interest?

blah blah

Shoebat
; )

GOT A BUDDY THAT GOT INTO A MATCH WITH TJ. NAMED WILL PAY. TJ GOT 2 HUNDRED AHEAD & QUIT. WILL PAY WASNT READY TO QUIT, WANTED TO PLAY MORE. TJ SAYS ''TO HELL WUTH YOU'' & RUNS OUT THE DOOR. COULD HAVE BEEN AT HAWLEYS...:mad: :mad:

...Did Will Pay pay though?