TJ Davis...Dallas Texas

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do want to start playing some competition if anyone wants to match up.

Well if it isn't about the money, and my guess is that it's the money preventing the lower level players from stepping up, then maybe some exhibition matches can be scheduled and winner can take the pot? Pool room owners can kick in some, and observers can pay for cheap tickets. There are still plenty in the DFW area that would like to see CJ play against the local and traveling talent. CJ gets his practice, local players get their opportunity, and everyone wins.
I think the biggest issue would be getting visibility to observers in the pool halls. If 100 people show up to watch the match, then how can they all watch? Video streaming to TVs?
CJ if you're any closer to opening a room, then maybe you should consider a exhibition area with bleachers?
Who would people want to see match up against CJ? Joey Barnes, T.J. Davis, Bert Kinister, who else .....?

I haven't found a good enought location for a pool room yet. My attention has beein on getting everything ready for my new DVD. Also, the Earl Strickland Documentary I was planning on having done has taken a "back seat" to the Mosconi Cup Captain responsibility. Plate's getting full.

I do want to start playing some competition if anyone wants to match up. I'll give up enough to make it fair with anyone around the DFW area. Just playing a few hundred a set is fine with me, or 20/50 a game, or any amount reasonable to make it interesting.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, technically, that is not true.

I know it sounds nice, and makes people sound smart when they say it, but it is not true.

There is ALWAYS one "best". The best golfer..The best poolplayer...The best basket weaver. That "best" might change from day to day, but that "best" still exists.

If you make the contest long enough, and take the luck out of it, there is definitely a BEST.

If you want to make your assumption accurate, you need to change it to something like:

"A person might be the BEST, but the rules have been changed to handicap that player and bring him back down to the rest of the pack. So, he got beat today by a lesser skilled player."

Can you honestly say in his heyday that Mosconi was beatable in a 1000 point straight pool match? HONESTLY? And if there WAS someperson capable of beating him out there playing on some pool table in his barn, then I would probably go so far as to say that THAT person was "the best".

There is ALWAYS one BEST.

Russ
So what you are saying is somebody is the best... which means the previous guy technically could be correct in saying "there is always somebody better"... If in fact there is a man who goes by the name somebody out there somewhere and in fact he is the best.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
You played well in the tournament, tenball007, I thought for sure it would have .....

I actually played him in the finals using only my "jump cue" (I have a feeling he would have rather broke my jump cue than his LoL). TJ is a one of the greatest "short stops" in the country although he has his negative moments (show me someone that doesn't and I'll show you a potential "DEXTER". ;)

You played well in the tournament, tenball007, I thought for sure it would have been us in the finals.......best wishes and play well.

I played in a tournament behind Good ole tj and CJ wiley .Got ole tj down and he went into a maniac rave smashing the balls and getting crazy.I lost the match Enjoyed the entertainment for a $10.00 entry fee.Later on CJ wiley just smoked him in the finals and he broke his jump cue .So you know what ..You want to put up with this crap go ahead .I see him time after time do this .He is a bully with a mental problem.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
If it wasn't for his attitude he would be much more than just a short stop. His game is incredible but it vanishes very quickly when he loses a game or gets in his own head. He is the DFW version of Earl Strickland.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
When I was living in Oklahoma City TJ and Coy Lee Nicholson came to town and they both tried a guy named James and neither of them liked the action but I would say that TJ and Coy Lee both took their beatings and went on their way with zero woofing or poor sportsmanship.

-don

James used to come through Denver, guys would back somebody against him just for
entertainment, and to fill up the pool hall.
There was no way anyone here was going to beat him in one pocket, he was quite a
road player, money player, the real deal.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"I know, and maybe, just maybe that "someone" is me!"

The day I left home to go on the road my mother said that same thing to me:

"remember one thing, there's always someone better!"

I responded "I know, and maybe, just maybe that "someone" is me!"

and the rest is history.......:groucho:

So what you are saying is somebody is the best... which means the previous guy technically could be correct in saying "there is always somebody better"... If in fact there is a man who goes by the name somebody out there somewhere and in fact he is the best.

tenball007

Registered
Yep I have seen Tj and Cj matched up several times in tournaments .It was like the pizza commercial .Bite --Bite Crunch- Crunch .T J. trys to maintain composure.C.j collects the cash and heads on down the road.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall was playing with us a few weekends (at Volcanos)

Yes, I can count on playing TJ at least once a week at VOLCANOS. I was fortunate to win twice this last weekend (4/0,4/0)....it seems like a "run away," but I'll assure you TJ can win playing against even the toughest of opponents. Buddy Hall was playing with us a few weekends (at Volcanos), which is always a privilege.

Yep I have seen Tj and Cj matched up several times in tournaments .It was like the pizza commercial .Bite --Bite Crunch- Crunch .T J. trys to maintain composure.C.j collects the cash and heads on down the road.

fcee06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I can count on playing TJ at least once a week at VOLCANOS. I was fortunate to win twice this last weekend (4/0,4/0)....it seems like a "run away," but I'll assure you TJ can win playing against even the toughest of opponents. Buddy Hall was playing with us a few weekends (at Volcanos), which is always a privilege.

Yea I get to see and speak a little with buddy hall a few weeks ago there at volcanos. He paid me the biggest compliment on my break. It was huge coming from one of the all time greats. I think TJ has mellowed out somewhat over the years. He still hates to lose and very seldomly handles any loss well but I have seen him worse. I have beat him on a few occasions in Denton and once or twice at volcanos and he showed me a little more respect. I had to tell him a little something after beating him at JR pockets one tuesday night and we have been on much better terms since. That was about a year ago. As far as his skills, he has always had the potential to play almost flawless pool. I think if it wasnt for that rage that often swells up in him he would give anyone a run for their money. One thing is true that has probably always been true, hes hard to bet against.

Frank C

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
TJ is almost always near the top day in, and day out.

Yes, it was cool to see Buddy Hall playing in our weekly tournaments. That VOLCANO's tournament has a LOT of advanced players, even Coy Lee has trouble cashing on occasion.....TJ is almost always near the top day in, and day out.

Yea I get to see and speak a little with buddy hall a few weeks ago there at volcanos. He paid me the biggest compliment on my break. It was huge coming from one of the all time greats. I think TJ has mellowed out somewhat over the years. He still hates to lose and very seldomly handles any loss well but I have seen him worse. I have beat him on a few occasions in Denton and once or twice at volcanos and he showed me a little more respect. I had to tell him a little something after beating him at JR pockets one tuesday night and we have been on much better terms since. That was about a year ago. As far as his skills, he has always had the potential to play almost flawless pool. I think if it wasnt for that rage that often swells up in him he would give anyone a run for their money. One thing is true that has probably always been true, hes hard to bet against.

Frank C

tenball007

Registered
Yeah it was a real treat seeing Buddy Hall over at volcanoes and chatting with him.I think he was just being kind when he commented on my shooting though.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tournament Tonight at VOLCANOES in Hurst Texas

It was awesome having Buddy Hall around for a couple of weeks. He played several times at VOLCANOES in Hurst, as a matter of fact I played TJ there last night.

TONIGHT, there is a special tournament at Volcanoes - I will be there and give away 5 DVDs to the first 5 people that say they saw this post. (Tonight Only)

Tournament starts at 7:45 with a $10 entree fee....Break Contest starts at $50 a ball

Yeah it was a real treat seeing Buddy Hall over at volcanoes and chatting with him.I think he was just being kind when he commented on my shooting though.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
About 10 years ago I was in Dallas on business and our paths crossed. I was hitting balls alone in a full room with no takers. He walks up to me and says how about 10 a game? Holding out a quarter ready to flip. Sure and it's on.

Dead rails on this table are getting me in trouble and i keep hooking myself. Down about $100 when i finally figure out to play less rail shape and instead draw to position (not the way i prefer it). Catch a gear run a couple of small packs and before you know it I'm up maybe a shitty $30. Well now Jeckel shows up.

Your so lucky
You can't play
Throw chalk
Snap cue on rail
Mutter under his breath about damb sandbagging Canadian
...repeat as necessary.

Loses a couple more. Throws me 50 and storms out assuming that I will cover his time. A bunch of locals with big smiles ran up to me and shook my hand. I guess he's well loved in that room.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've learned a few things watching him, one thing in particular

TJ is a really good teacher, who would ever guess? I've learned a few things watching him, one thing in particular made a difference. His hand/wrist motion generates a lot of acceleration and I've had to fine tune mine to keep up with him. His ability to quick spin shots was what impressed me, usually only champion level players have this type shot.

We didn't have to play at the tournament tonight. I lost my first round and had to battle all night to get to the finals......they're having another tournament tonight, guess that's where everyone will be. It starts at 6:00 PM tonight, so if anyone wants to enter make sure to be there by 5:45 to be safe.

Can play just about any game. Plays very good. Is a real good teacher. If your are playing him though, he is satans spawn.