TJ Davis...Dallas Texas

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I was curious about that too, though I figured CJ was in a different class altogether? Maybe a DFW open with the top 16 players would draw some interest?

My guess and I know they are a few yrs apart, TJ came before CJ and then when CJ became CJ' W.TJ stayed away from em.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But now?

But now that CJ isn't the CJ he was in his younger years (not that he couldn't be just that other matters have taken priority), and that TJ still lives in the pool hall, I wonder if it wouldn't make for a more even match up? At the very least the jawing and head games would be amazing.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
see him about 3-4 times a week and shoot a little a bit, one time i beat him in a tournament and said '' you son of a b**** you are so fu***** lucky.... and next day he was nice like nothing happend... lol, shoots gre thou! :D
This. Everytime.

LPAC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But now that CJ isn't the CJ he was in his younger years (not that he couldn't be just that other matters have taken priority), and that TJ still lives in the pool hall, I wonder if it wouldn't make for a more even match up? At the very least the jawing and head games would be amazing.

ha...thats funny tj has no chance playing cj

Island Drive

Silver Member

Might be a toss up since TJ has about another 15 current yrs behind em.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do you guys think that TJ is better than joey barnes?

Have they ever matched up? Who won?

He cant beat Joey at any game
I cant beat Joey, not even close and I offered to play TJ even 9 ball for 2 dimes on a 9ft in Houston, of course thats after he barked at me for knockin him out of the tourney. That offer still stands if hes got any stakehorses trollin this thread.

Last edited:

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plays GREAT! Has been barred from most rooms....randyg
aint that the truth

So is TJ's attitude or his play improving, or both? Turns out he won the Lonestar Open last weekend, beating our own Gene Albrecht.
http://www.lonestarbilliardstour.com/
I'd be curious to hear from Gene how TJ plays?
And I'm wondering when the next Joey Barnes v. TJ Davis match up will occur?
He won that tourny playing with a house cue !!!!

My money is on CJ for whatever they want to play for. Never happen though.

poolwizard

Registered
Yea I have had the same experience. I came back three racks in 8 ball to win the match in a tourney. After he said if I won this tourney he would never come back and that I was the luckiest person ever and that I had the 7 ... Well I won the tourney but the next week he was there all friendly like nothing had ever happened.

DWoods6354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, not sure why the AZ community is so down on a pool player. Yes, TJ has a temper and has been barred from several rooms in the area. He does not have a rep for Air-Barreling anyone that I know of. He plays strong and smart and does not book many losers.

TJ has always been straight with and around me. He has a small portable lathe and does tips reasonably and with care. In my experience He wins - he collects: He loses - he pays. He wins more than he loses (as my wallet can attest).

It appears the AZ community believes all pool players should be good role models. In my experience this is often not the case. Sometimes the biggest asshat of the night is really the strongest player in the room looking for a better payday. That’s how it works.

As for TJ matching up with Joey B. or Coy Lee – I wouldn’t have any cash riding on the outcome – but it would be fun to watch.

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TJ came through OKC in the early '90's and tried to hustle me (and was a little less than subtle about it). He's a better player than I am, but I was playing well at the time and wasn't dumb enough to put up real money against a guy I'd never seen before. We played 9-ball even for $10/game and I pulled 6 or 7 games ahead. He spent about an hour trying to catch up (unsuccessfully), then quit me a loser and stiffed me.

Not trying to bash the guy. Just my 1 lone experience with Mr. Davis.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
TJ came through OKC in the early '90's and tried to hustle me (and was a little less than subtle about it). He's a better player than I am, but I was playing well at the time and wasn't dumb enough to put up real money against a guy I'd never seen before. We played 9-ball even for $10/game and I pulled 6 or 7 games ahead. He spent about an hour trying to catch up (unsuccessfully), then quit me a loser and stiffed me.

Not trying to bash the guy. Just my 1 lone experience with Mr. Davis.

That's the first time I have ever heard about you playing for money...and you got stiffed! Damn! :)

Big bar table tourney next weekend at Joe's! You oughta play!

Ken

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not woofing, just bored

aint that the truth

He won that tourny playing with a house cue !!!!

My money is on CJ for whatever they want to play for. Never happen though.

Easy now, there's a big difference between "TJ" and "CJ". :groucho:

TJ's always been ok with me, but I understand why people have the opinions they do about him.

I've offered TJ the 7Ball playing 9Ball on numerous occasions and the offer still stands. I would even try the 8 playing 10 Ball if the "bet was right".

I gave Joey the 7 and the break and won on a big table, but I don't think I have that "gear" left in my these days. :wink: I will give him something if anyone wants to put him in the box though. Not woofing, just bored. :smile:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Man, it felt pretty good, it's been awhile

Yeah,you are woofing.Might be out of boredom,but you are
Woofing! :grin:

Is that what that was? Man, it felt pretty good, it's been awhile. :wink:

After talking with Johnny, Mike D. and Dennis yesterday about their Mosconi Cup experience I think I'm getting the urge to play some serious pool.
CLICK PICTURE

Island Drive

Silver Member

After talking with Johnny, Mike D. and Dennis yesterday about their Mosconi Cup experience I think I'm getting the urge to play some serious pool.

We never lose that urge, but are we willing or able to give it the TIME to get us thru those moments that make us question our decisions?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
It has to be more fun that it used to be, it's not purely for the money

We never lose that urge, but are we willing or able to give it the TIME to get us thru those moments that make us question our decisions?

Playing pool isn't much of a decision. I've been doing instuctional stuff and it will be nice to be able to get back into that zone again. I've been putting my playing "on a shelf" for over a year now.

Played some in Vegas and did really well, but didn't play long enough to get back in top form. It takes matching up tough for me to do that, not necessarily "betting the farm" though. It has to be more fun that it used to be, it's not purely for the money these days.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exhibition Matches?

Well if it isn't about the money, and my guess is that it's the money preventing the lower level players from stepping up, then maybe some exhibition matches can be scheduled and winner can take the pot? Pool room owners can kick in some, and observers can pay for cheap tickets. There are still plenty in the DFW area that would like to see CJ play against the local and traveling talent. CJ gets his practice, local players get their opportunity, and everyone wins.
I think the biggest issue would be getting visibility to observers in the pool halls. If 100 people show up to watch the match, then how can they all watch? Video streaming to TVs?
CJ if you're any closer to opening a room, then maybe you should consider a exhibition area with bleachers?
Who would people want to see match up against CJ? Joey Barnes, T.J. Davis, Bert Kinister, who else .....?