Trouble At Gradys

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bad thing about Dad protecting Sonny is it teaches Sonny the wrong lesson. If Sonny thinks he can gamble and not pay that eventually will bite Sonny in the rear end.

I used to know a kid whose Dad was connected to the local police and the kid was always engaging in minor crimes and thug stuff while Dad's connections got him out of it. Kid's address for the last three decades has been a federal prison. There are some things Dad can't get you out of.

It hasn't caught up to some of the other people, in other threads floating around today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JesseBfan

Motivation, where are u?
Silver Member
Must of been APA night at Grady's.
I wouldn't worry about it, league players do this crap all the time, especially when there's a father-son situation like this, and gambling is involved
That's no shit, sounds like the Tuesday night APA in-house at the Holiday Bowl in Denver.

What difference does the night of the week matter? It was the tournament director(Marty) who did this(allegedly). He has a bad temper, everyone knows it. It's no secret at all. But if it went down as it was told to me then it's not acceptable. When people lose bets in the poolroom they should just pay off and that's the end of it. No need for any strong arming or threats. Guaranteed there's a lot more to this story and it might make it look worse or better but no matter, either way it's bad. When someone works at a place of business they have to be held to some standards of behavior. I'm sure Marty knows he was out of line and I'm sure he would do something to make it right if he could.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smart people who carry don't utter a peep when on site, and you're right, they don't announce to the entire place that they're packing. Those are the guys you have to worry about.

That said, Grady is old school, and if he said he was going to get his gun, I'd be scramming the heck out of there. Like his pool game, Grady had no fear of anyone, even if he was the underdog in a pool game or a fight. He wasn't going to lay down on his back and belly up. :eek:

RIP, Grady. :)

You said it, Jenny. I'm not going to name names - but you know plenty of them - but there were quite a few guys I knew who were always packing. And they were probably some of the nicest guys in the pool room. I just automatically assume everyone is packing.

Here is a story I heard years after-the-fact about one of our local gun carriers. I'm not going to share names/exact location but you may recognize this from the important details. One time, at a pool room in Northern VA, a guy came running in the door bleeding from a head wound screaming, "I've been shot, he's going to kill me...."....coming in behind him was a guy with a gun. One of these locals I mentioned immediately pulled out his weapon and shot the attacker dead, saving perhaps more than one life. He did not get into trouble. I spoke with him about it (this was years after it happened and I had only heard about it, surprised that it was a guy I played one pocket with quite a bit), and he laughed saying, "I'm no hero. I was scared. I shot him to protect MYSELF." I appreciated his honesty and asked, "Do you still carry." He replied by lifting up his shirt providing the answer. I always felt secure around this gentleman, lol. Knowing he probably wouldn't choke if he needed to use it, and was also a damn good shot.

...and if you've ever seen the movie COMMANDO - that is how our friend "Gunnslinger" roles. I pity the fool who tries to strong-arm him, lol.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without hearing more details this story makes no sense. Maybe the winning player cheated? And the houseman saw it? There must be a substantial motive for the houseman to get involved, especially in the manner he did. Nobody does that for no reason.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without hearing more details this story makes no sense. Maybe the winning player cheated? And the houseman saw it? There must be a substantial motive for the houseman to get involved, especially in the manner he did. Nobody does that for no reason.

It sounds like the tournament director - don't know if he is also the houseman - got "involved" when his son lost $300 bucks. Don't you find it curious he didn't get involved until after the kid lost? He didn't intervene to prevent the kid from gambling prior to the match. If Sonny had won $300 do you think his Dad would have made him give it back? Makes perfect sense to me, if Sonny wins they pocket the cash, if Sonny loses Dad threatens to shoot the winner and they don't pay.

Nothing unique about the story except the guy who pulled the move is the tournament director. In most places the TD is assumed to have more integrity than that. I guess the moral of the story is assume nothing.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
It sounds like the tournament director - don't know if he is also the houseman - got "involved" when his son lost $300 bucks. Don't you find it curious he didn't get involved until after the kid lost? He didn't intervene to prevent the kid from gambling prior to the match. If Sonny had won $300 do you think his Dad would have made him give it back? Makes perfect sense to me, if Sonny wins they pocket the cash, if Sonny loses Dad threatens to shoot the winner and they don't pay.

Nothing unique about the story except the guy who pulled the move is the tournament director. In most places the TD is assumed to have more integrity than that. I guess the moral of the story is assume nothing.

I know Marty and have gambled many times with him
I've never heard anything bad about the man
I will try and get up with him. I was waiting to see if someone responded from the room

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There must be more to this story. I don't know this guy but it doesn't sound right, you don't say your going to shoot someone cause your son lost fair an square. Isn't that how you get shot?

Pumpkinhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I apologize but I have to reiterate what happened. Things are being misconstrued and taken out of context. 2 guys are playing 9 ball betting $500. One being the son of the tournament director at the pool room they are playing at. Which happens to be Grady's in Columbia, SC. The other guy is man named Dave. Dav e is giving the last 4. They played the same way the night before with no incident with Dave winning. They were playing 6 ahead. The night of the incident was the second night they played. Dave won again this time taking about 4 hours. For some reason Marty got bent out of shape and started barking at Dave. Dave never instigated anything or did anything shady. He bet, he played, he won. Marty's son was quiet through this as well. He bet, he played, he lost. He paid off. Come to find out he was betting his tax money and daddy didn't like it. I've heard numerous times of Marty showing his ass when he loses. Ask Jarred McGee. He didn't say one word the night before when they played and his son lost. Its one thing to bark when you lose. But to jump in and threaten someone like that is completely out of line. I posted this because I think its atrocious that he got away with it. The $300 came from when Marty threatened him and made Dave give $300 back.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
What difference does the night of the week matter? It was the tournament director(Marty) who did this(allegedly). He has a bad temper, everyone knows it. It's no secret at all. But if it went down as it was told to me then it's not acceptable. When people lose bets in the poolroom they should just pay off and that's the end of it. No need for any strong arming or threats. Guaranteed there's a lot more to this story and it might make it look worse or better but no matter, either way it's bad. When someone works at a place of business they have to be held to some standards of behavior. I'm sure Marty knows he was out of line and I'm sure he would do something to make it right if he could.

Either there is another side to this story, or "Marty" is just a family oriented guy who has job security, and somebody you don't want to **** with.

JesseBfan

Motivation, where are u?
Silver Member
I apologize but I have to reiterate what happened. Things are being misconstrued and taken out of context. 2 guys are playing 9 ball betting $500. One being the son of the tournament director at the pool room they are playing at. Which happens to be Grady's in Columbia, SC. The other guy is man named Dave. Dav e is giving the last 4. They played the same way the night before with no incident with Dave winning. They were playing 6 ahead. The night of the incident was the second night they played. Dave won again this time taking about 4 hours. For some reason Marty got bent out of shape and started barking at Dave. Dave never instigated anything or did anything shady. He bet, he played, he won. Marty's son was quiet through this as well. He bet, he played, he lost. He paid off. Come to find out he was betting his tax money and daddy didn't like it. I've heard numerous times of Marty showing his ass when he loses. Ask Jarred McGee. He didn't say one word the night before when they played and his son lost. Its one thing to bark when you lose. But to jump in and threaten someone like that is completely out of line. I posted this because I think its atrocious that he got away with it. The $300 came from when Marty threatened him and made Dave give $300 back.

Cosign. And yeah Jared has stories of his own. I don't have any cuz Marty and I don't gamble. I like Marty and we get along just fine. The times we have in the past(long ago) he was respectful as can be to me. However I've seen the other side come out to others and I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps we're cool with each other cuz he beats my brains in everytime we play lol

JesseBfan

Motivation, where are u?
Silver Member
There must be more to this story. I don't know this guy but it doesn't sound right, you don't say your going to shoot someone cause your son lost fair an square. Isn't that how you get shot?

I know all the parties involved and I can tell you with great certainty that "fair and square" was practiced here. Brandon nor Cookie would never cheat the other.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know all the parties involved and I can tell you with great certainty that "fair and square" was practiced here. Brandon nor Cookie would never cheat the other.

So this Marty is a donkey then, if he was mad about his kid gambling he shouldn't have sat back and watched for 2 days hoping he win.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Cook involved in pool room drama?!?!?? Who would have guessed!?!??! I'm starting to think the TD may have been justified in threatening to shoot him.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My father did the same exact thing when I lost money when I was about 17 years old. He strong armed the guy in front of everyone in the pool hall and took the $100 back that I lost.

When I got home I said "thanks dad" and he told me that he was keeping the money, that I had lost it like a complete idiot and wasn't getting it back. He further explained that the only reason he did what he did wasn't to get my money back, it was to ruin any action I would of ever been able to get in the future. Hehe, lesson learned.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a simple call to this guy telling him you will call the police and report you were threatened with death and extorted for 300. that would make anyone take notice. ask for the money back and an apology.
people make mistakes when mad. but when they go too far they must make it right.